Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 126 total)
  • Super-cars on public roads.
  • Cletus

tbh I agree with the op about the appropriateness of something like an F1 for driving on UK roads. It is not as if you can (legally) use all the power.

Surely something like an MX5 or an Elise would provide enough driver enjoyment without the same level of risk to the driver and others?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Shut your whining, its a frigging chat forum and this is just a discussion about something relevant in the news. I really dont get your point or understand how its only you getting so upset by this post.

Phhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I’ll be serious for a moment, for those who are hard of humour.

I’m not whining. I’m pointing something out
    I’m certainly not upset. I’m actually sitting here with a collegue having a right giggle. Why? becasue it’s soooooo easy to rip the pee out of OPs like this one, who clearly reads the Daily Mail on a Daily Sport intelligence* when it comes to this subject… 😉

(semi) serious mode off

Or do you just trawl looking for “trolls”.

No, but I like a bit of sport troll-shooting when I find it. So sue me!

If someone is talking S$%t on here they will be told so in no short terms

OK, great! You’re talking S$%t! 😛

—————–
    *I was quite proud of that part! 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Is a supercar for use on public roads a little bit like buying a top end MTB to go to the shops on? Or buying a medium format digicam for family snaps?

I suppose it depends on your definition of supercar – some super expensive cars would be lovely cruisers, some would be real work for no benefit other than vanity.

traildog
    Free Member

I don’t see why people are getting so upset about it? I don’t think the post is trolling as he’s not picking a fight, just asking a question.

I also don’t get the point in such cars. They guzzle petrol, cost a fortune to run (a mate recently had a puncture on his Ferrari and was very upset about it, lets say), They are often big, making parking and country roads difficult, terrible in horrible conditions and poor quality roads. Uncomfortable and noisy – said Ferrari is a tin on wheels.

I think people fall in love with the idea of having one.

I cannot understand how someone cannot like any form of dance music! That must really limit what music you listen to, so I imagine you like no music at all. I guess music is something you cannot explain to people who don’t get it also. I suppose they’ve become deaf from their supercars, maybe?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Isn’t the Mclaren actually serval leagues above a “supercar” anyway. Servicing it four times would cost 120,000 pounds, not far off the cost of buynig a Ferrari brand new. It needs servicing every 6000 miles.

yesiamtom
    Free Member

Why are people getting wound up so much, someone doesnt think supercars should be allowed/used on public roads. Thats just their opinion ffs.

FWIW my opinion is I dont care what people drive, as long as they do it safely. Id rather see celebrities doing 100mph down A roads than the local chav doing 40-50 down 30mph roads. I wonder which one causes more peds and innocent motorists to die.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I cannot understand how someone cannot like any form of dance music! That must really limit what music you listen to, so I imagine you like no music at all

Oh my giddy aunt!

[slaps forehead]

Please re-read my post and then complete this multiple choice question:

Is the tone of my post mentioning ‘dance music’:

a) Serious
    b) Tongue in cheek
    c) Don’t know

Unless, of course, you have a super-dry sense of humour, in which case:

LOL 😀

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

The choice of car is irrelevant but treating shared roads like a personal race track whether you are in a million pound car or a souped up saxo is both arrogant and selfish.

monksie
    Free Member

“I rest my case”
    I wish you’d rest your typing fingers. You sir, are the internet version of a gobshite.
    The guy just asked a reasonable question prompted by a recent newsworthy event.

McHamish
    Free Member

Rowan Atkinson is at the top of the list on Top Gear for celebrities driving around in cr@p cars isn’t he.

Perhaps it’s all gone to his head and he thjinks he’s invincible.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The choice of car is irrelevant but treating shared roads like a personal race track whether you are in a million pound car or a souped up saxo is both arrogant and selfish

Truest statement on the thread so far.

stgeorge

He might have been a tad “over-‘car’ed” for that bit of road, but no one on here has ever been “over biked” for that bit of track/towpath have they. 🙂

Good luck to him, and hope he gets it fixed and carries on driving it.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I wish you’d rest your typing fingers. You sir, are the internet version of a gobshite.

And YOU, sir, are a cad and a bounder, and I challenge you to a duel at dawn!

(Please notice my failure to bite at your personal insult, and also my failure to report your post……)

*runs around in a circle giggling like a loon*

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Aha yes now I remember, more downsides of owning a flash car are repeatedly being called a **** by people you don’t know, never being let out at junctions, idiots (in passats and audis, why is it always passats and audis?) tailgating you, nightmare parking, always being afraid someone will vandalise it, etc 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

He might have been a tad “over-‘car’ed” for that bit of road, but no one on here has ever been “over biked” for that bit of track/towpath have they.

Actually, THAT’S now the truest statement on the thread. 🙂
    I like the cut of your jib!

ransos
    Free Member

He might have been a tad “over-‘car’ed” for that bit of road, but no one on here has ever been “over biked” for that bit of track/towpath have they.

True, but the consequences of binning the car on a public road can be rather more severe…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Aha yes now I remember, more downsides of owning a flash car are repeatedly being called a **** by people you don’t know, never being let out at junctions, idiots (in passats and audis, why is it always passats and audis?) tailgating you, nightmare parking, always being afraid someone will vandalise it, etc

Try riding a motorbike. Then they try knocking you off as well! 🙂

randomjeremy
    Free Member

I now drive an anonymous grey german saloon most of the time, (which is faster than my old fezza and better in every way) and life on the road is much less stressful 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

Id rather see celebrities doing 100mph down A roads than the local chav doing 40-50 down 30mph roads. I wonder which one causes more peds and innocent motorists to die.

Would that be the chavs? Would that be because there’s more of them?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

A mutual acquaintance tells me that he hit a patch of deisel and that’s why he crashed.

GaryLake
    Free Member

You have to question the nature of his driving, he crashed it into the back of an Austin Metro a few years ago and now he’s finally written it off. Talented driver maybe, safe/legal driver?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Perhaps it’s all gone to his head and he thjinks he’s invincible.

Well no, he is a long-time car enthusiast and races – has done for years. He knew before doing Top Gear that he could drive fast and knows how to handle a car.

thomthumb
    Free Member

But I don’t go around blabbering on about it just becasue I’ve seen a celery-sucking poodle leaving a mauve dorma bungalow with a gravel drive in a Toyota Prius on his way to play tennis with a French dance DJ!

pretty offensive to call molgrips a poodle!!

IanMunro
    Free Member

If I could afford to I’d drive a Maclaren F1 everywhere!

Really? It looks like a right pain in the arse for my local shopping trip to Tesco, and completely useless for trips to the DIY store.
    Though I suspect if I could afford one, I’d get someone else to drive to Tesco. Or maybe not even Tesco with that money.

joao3v16
    Free Member

the appropriateness of something like an F1 for driving on UK roads. It is not as if you can (legally) use all the power

?

This arguement must apply to almost every car in Britain.

I can’t legally use all the power of my car either. It’s only a 1.8 Vectra but can easily exceed the speed limit.

ransos
    Free Member

A mutual acquaintance tells me that he hit a patch of deisel and that’s why he crashed.

Maybe, but would he have crashed if he wasn’t caning it?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Aye, he’d been a ‘Gentleman racer’ for years. Just goes to show though, even if you’re pretty competant and have excellent machinery under you, it can still go horribly wrong.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

pretty offensive to call molgrips a poodle!!

I did no such thing! Molgrips is a lovely chap! 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Maybe, but would he have crashed if he wasn’t caning it?

Have you ever driven a car like a Maclaren F1? It isn’t exactly the same as driving a Ford Focus – they will not very forgiving to mistakes/conditions.

verses

If he’s damaged the engine lining he could make a fortune from “We buy any gold”…

The metro prang was 12 years ago. While it’s not ideal, one bump every 12 years doesn’t seem overly careless/unsafe.

traildog
    Free Member

PP – the clue to the dryness was in the deaf bit. I happen to love ballet, so was quite offended by your statement.

But yeah, I don’t get supercars at all.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Have you ever driven a car like a Maclaren F1? It isn’t exactly the same as driving a Ford Focus – they will not very forgiving to mistakes/conditions.

That sounds like the perfect reason for not driving it on public roads.

ransos
    Free Member

Have you? It’s a question: if he wasn’t caning it, it’s not unreasonable to assume that the margin for error would be such that he wouldn’t crash.

ilovemygears
    Free Member

nothing like knocking a wing mirror of a bently and making the **** in the drivers seat shit him self at a set of lights in my book!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Have you? It’s a question: if he wasn’t caning it, it’s not unreasonable to assume that the margin for error would be such that he wouldn’t crash.

Of course I haven’t but I understand enough about cars to know it will be an entirely different proposition to driving a family hatchback.

That sounds like the perfect reason for not driving it on public roads.

Perhaps.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Why the assumption he was caning it in so many responses? He might have been pootling like the lad on the 5grand full susser as he hit the red section at the local trail centre???

randomjeremy
    Free Member

I drove an F1 (not mine) on track and it was unbelievably scary – no traction control, no ABS, the brakes weren’t even servoed iirc. I wasn’t a good enough driver to get anything out of the experience, it was a great relief to get out of the car actually. I imagine they must be a nightmare to drive on the road (imagine an elise with 5 times the horsepower)

GaryLake
    Free Member

To lose control on that road, Mclaren F1 or not, it’s either a shite car (no), he was driving like a moron, or he can’t drive (no).

I flatly refuse to believe that a Mclaren F1 just ‘goes’ like that on a patch of diesel at 70mph on a big almost straight road.

With the Metro incident 12 years ago, correct me if I’m wrong but I seem to remember it wasn’t so much a prang but it actually lifted the Metro off the ground and up onto the bonnet? Not bad going.

He knows better than anyone what he was driving in the current conditions etc.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I flatly refuse to believe that a Mclaren F1 just ‘goes’ like that on a patch of diesel at 70mph on a big almost straight road.

Something ran out in front of him?

I wrote off a Fiesta XR2 (put it on its roof) on a perfectly straight road after an animal ran out on me and I swerved to avoid it.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

True in a way, but at the same speed as a Focus, you’ll get away with a LOT more.
    Drive a Focus at 100% and an F1 at 100% and then it all starts to get a bit hectic becasue the F1 will be going a LOT faster! 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 126 total)

The topic ‘Super-cars on public roads.’ is closed to new replies.