Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Sunny Scotland ride with pics.
  • jojoA1
    Free Member

Did my first ride on Bennachie in Aberdeenshire today. Fab weather and jolly nice rocky riding on some bits.

Rest of them here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jocarda1/sets/72157622630431359/

singlespeeddan
    Free Member

I do like bennachie though the climb is brutal. will maybe try for a ride up their tomorrow, haven't been up for ages. You should try the oxen crags decent as well it is pretty good, though a bit washed out.
    Oh and good pics btw.

grumm
    Free Member

Looks ace – v jealous. It's raining here and I'm ill 👿

jojoA1
    Free Member

We did intend to do it, but there was a bit of a knee/rock interface further down (not me, thankfully). Had to take an escape route back to Rowantree Carpark via the visitor centre rather than back up the Gordon Way and down the Oxen Crags descent.

The climb up from Rowantree was a slog but some fun testing bits to try and get up.

jojoA1
    Free Member

Grumm, I'm just recovered from the Flu, so was good to get out. Feeling it in my chest a bit from the climb now though.

grumm
    Free Member

Grumm, I'm just recovered from the Flu

You mean a cold? 😛

I had a nasty virus a few weeks ago and it's taking forever to get better, biking seems to make me ill again. 🙁

robgarrioch

Fantastic clarity in your fotos j, wonderful north air. Pretty good expressions-of-gnar too!

coogan
    Free Member

Looks great jo. So dry! Was freakin wet, muddy and v. slippy where I was today down Stirling. You'll need to show me this route.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I like the look of that place…how long is the trail, is it a mtb centre or just a normal hiking route?

jojoA1
    Free Member

'Proper' fortnight-off-work-with-a-week-of-it-unable-to-move-from-the-sofa Flu. At least that's what it said on my sick note…

It's the 'walkers' paths on Bennachie, North of Aberdeen. You can link several together to make a good ride. There are several different descents from the summit with paths across the 'plateau' between the three tops up there.

Coogan, you're welcome on our sofa anytime 😉 xx

coogan
    Free Member

Bosh!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Like the Sarge said, it looks great Jo…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Looks great – too nice to count as 'puffer training tho – even if you do have your race face on

jojoA1
    Free Member

TJ, not nearly long enough for 'puffer training. That's tomorrow (prays for sun).

mrpink
    Free Member

Nice pics,looks a great ride!

Swayndo
    Free Member

Cracking effort Jo. Must get down there. Say hi to Matt.

user-removed
    Free Member

Done that run a few times (15 years ago, before the slabs went in!) but I always thought that hill was called Clach-na-Ben?! We called it Tit Hill, cos it looks like a tit.

Pretty sure there was a Killer Loop in MBUK or somesuch which took it in along with a few other summits. We tried it and got lost, but in our defence, we were stoned witless..

Nice pics by the way!

jojoA1
    Free Member

Also called The Mither Tap, cos it looks like a lady bump, Is that what you used to call it, userremoved? "Ladybump hill"?

Swayndo, Matt says hi back. Shame you couldn't make Balblair the other weekend.

metalheart
    Free Member

user-removed: Done that run a few times (15 years ago, before the slabs went in!) but I always thought that hill was called Clach-na-Ben?!

Your getting confused with a hill called Clachnaben. Its visible from the top but is off the Cairn O Mount road You were obviously more stoned than you thought…

GlenMore
    Free Member

jojoA1 – Member

Also called The Mither Tap, cos it looks like a lady bump, Is that what you used to call it, userremoved? "Ladybump hill"?

It should, of course, be called Mither Pap. I'm guessing those pesky Victorians decided that was a bit racy.

grumm
    Free Member

'Proper' fortnight-off-work-with-a-week-of-it-unable-to-move-from-the-sofa Flu. At least that's what it said on my sick note…

Sorry only messing – saw you mention it on PP's thread about people claiming to have flu. 😛

Those pics look ace – one day I will move to Scotland.

ona29er
    Free Member

cracking pics. Hope it was warmer than Inverness way!

epicyclo

ona29er – Member
    … Hope it was warmer than Inverness way!

It was beautiful sunshine this morning around Dingwall. We were sweating while our wheels were crunching through the thin ice in the pools on the tracks.

user-removed
    Free Member

Yup – riding and toking went hand in hand back then for our merry bunch of addicts.

You are quite right – Bennachie it is. There used to be a sunken stream where the stone steps are now. It had a number of hidden underwater potholes which made for hilarious over-the-bars moments.

As you reached the base of the hill, there was a massive felled tree, just before the wooded section which was bunny-hoppable (just) even on a Muddy Fox Courier, or later, a fully rigid Lavadome. Is it still there?

Aaah! The nostalgia! (stuck in Sunderland now 🙁 )

Kit
    Free Member

Hey Jo, Bannachie was my local riding for a while when I was up in Aberdeen. My first experience was being taken down that way, and I got shown up by the local MTB club 😳 Ace ride, but never got round to repeating it – preferred the route off the north of the saddle, which is faster, looser and less technical. Really wish I could get back up and ride it again.

fauxbyfour
    Free Member

Looks a bit like the M1, they have really sanitised that from 10 years ago:(

steviegil
    Free Member

Superb pic's and the weather looks alot better than it was on the west coast!

cullen-bay
    Free Member

epicyclo – Member

ona29er – Member
    … Hope it was warmer than Inverness way!

It was beautiful sunshine this morning around Dingwall. We were sweating while our wheels were crunching through the thin ice in the pools on the tracks.

that wasn't an exaggeration, It didnt get above 1 degree here yesterday. hey ho, at least the firetracks are freezing up (getting faster) =)

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

that staircase looks mental – good stuff

epicsteve
    Free Member

Looks very nice.

Saw ice on some of the puddles in the Pentlands this morning – first time this winter.

Kit
    Free Member

Videos from the ride I did (you can see me standing watching…) in May with the Ecurie Neeps. The videos do not do justice to how steep it is, but you do get to see how rocky the trail is. Awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5Ukxe74ay4&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRNXEVKLiU8&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPJsFKudTj4&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxkjC1An0pk&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGQ_Oap50hY&feature=related

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

nice photies jo. that looks a smashing wee run.

italspark
    Free Member

stunning photies jo, hope ballater weather is as good
    looking forward to riding with you guys at the weekend

martinxyz
    Free Member

looks good. i like that sort of riding. i had to scrub a bike for 2 hours and hang around for a potential buyer.. that never made it from Fraserburgh. Grr.i only managed a short ride. first one in weeks. i stayed off the bike to get rid of that chesty tickle/cold thing that everyone seemed to catch last month.
    feel spot on now after staying off bike for ages.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Sunny Scotland ride with pics.’ is closed to new replies.