Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • sunn are back!
  • juiced
    Free Member

Now I know they’ve been around a while and Max has formed Commencal, but Sunn have for a while been producing some average looking bikes. Just had a look at CR and they are doing a 160mm freeride ht in steel, have some steel DH/FR bikes and a 120mmm / rigid steel xc bke. Being both a fan of steel and Sunn I think they’ve got some super bikes.The colours are now non euro race too 8)

GW
    Free Member

When did they go away?

juiced
    Free Member

for a long time they’re bikes have never interested me.Now Seem to have some really interesting and different bikes. Granted techincally they have not gone away, but their profile has been low in the UK.When I say back I mean Back doing what originally made them great in the first place, when they had a higher profile, rather than back as a company.

brakes
    Free Member

what is CR?
    I’ve been scowering eBay for a while looking for an old Sunn steel bike for a hacker

juiced
    Free Member

just been browsing chainreaction although i am sure other bikeshops stock sunn too.

GW
    Free Member

their profile has never been high in the UK.

and as for interesting and different? 😕

juiced
    Free Member

there’s been a couple of old ones on the bay a while ago. IIRC there was a 1999 new condition cromo notion complete bike a couple of months back Keep looking they do come up from time to time.

juiced
    Free Member

who sells off the peg steel fr/dh completes then? other than microbrands / keewee maybe .Who sells steel rigid completes ( other than micro brands) . i thought they looked different. 🙂 . They had a high profile in the UK during 1998/99 I went to a number of shops and they had the entire sunn range from bmix to sunn xc to Steel DH bikes. Maybe it was a london / bordering London thing.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Wasn’t Sunn originally founded by Max Commencal (of Commencal bikes)?

juiced
    Free Member

yes. i believe so.

GW
    Free Member

off the peg steel DH bikes – superco/BMW, keewee, Curtis, 24/7, Sunn, Balfa (sorta) 😉
    steel completes – 24/7, DMR, On-one, Cotic. Dialled, specialized, Transition (I’m sure other STW members could make this list endless)

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Indeed he was. I found this article which includes:

After 16 years at the helm [of Commencal], Max says he was “booted out by a shareholder with 51 percent of voting rights, who decided he wanted to take my place”. Far from having regrets, he feels this experience helped him grow, both as a person and as a businessman. And, after two years of planning and design, he launched a new brand under his own name.

juiced
    Free Member

true on the steel rigids and dh bikes. granted. but these companies do not produce an entire range with different price points ( excpet mAybe for Spesh) From a business perpective they are different. BMW is a dh/fr/dj co. Didn’t know curtis did completes maybe they do. My point was as a company offering a range of different bikes they are back.None of the above does the same as Sunn as a business, taking into consideration price points, matierals used and range of different bikes as a complete company ( except maybe Spesh to a degree) Take your point tho.Sorry but cannot help looking at things from a business perspective.Not in the market for new bike otherwise I’d have the technical bike hat on.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘sunn are back!’ is closed to new replies.