• This topic has 119 replies, 52 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 120 total)
  • Sunday Trading….
  • footflaps

So what do people think of the proposal to allow councils / mayors to relax the restriction?

Personally I only ever shop on a Sunday as town is nice and quiet (not that I shop that much).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Great idea, when I moved back from Glasgow I forgot how stupid it was that you couldn’t shop at a sensible time on a Sunday in a supermarket despite the fact the Co-Op could open. The world didn’t stop turning.

scruff9252

Shops being closed on one of the two days people have off each week is a ridiculous and outdated idea.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

surprised it didn’t happen sooner, they relaxed the rules during the Olympics, and it means more staff will be needed = more jobs = more money floating about, can only be a good thing

lunge

Shops being closed on one of the two days people have off each week is a ridiculous and outdated idea.

Exactly that, get them open.

Drac

Allowing the option is a great idea but I’m not convinced it’ll create more money.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

he two days people have off each week

This is a ridiculous and outdated idea too, lots of people work over all of the 7 days too.

ziggy
    Free Member

I’d rather have a return to the old days with shops closed, a day of rest with friends, family, working in retail myself all it does is increase overheads. A day off a week from consumerism is a good thing.

binners

In an advanced capitalist consumer society it is my inalialable right to go out and buy shit I don’t need at any time convenient to myself. And if that is at 11.40 on a Sunday night then I’m sure that some migrant would be grateful of the minimum wage that he’ll get for serving me, before spending the following day asleep in a shed!

In fact – dole scroungers should be forced to work night shifts and Sundays for just this eventuality or have their benefits stopped!

Drac

A day off a week from consumerism is a good thing.

I can do that whenever I please, I don’t need shops to be closed to do that.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’d rather have a return to the old days with shops closed, a day of rest with friends, family, working in retail myself all it does is increase overheads. A day off a week from consumerism is a good thing.

Except shops still open.
    Heaps of people work Sundays, my Dad does on the farm has done for years, people do in factories, in industry, doctors, nurses, firemen and many more. So sometimes other people might only get Sunday off or not finish till 4pm. Why is Sunday special?

growinglad
    Free Member

^^ This

Shops don’t open here on Sundays except say the Sunday before Christmas.

It’s great, love it. It’s not really difficult is it to organise yourselves and make sure you have the bits you’ll need for the one day the shop’s are closed.

As for non-food shopping….I can think of many things I’d rather do on a Sunday that traipse around the shops.

Keep em all shut I say…apart from pubs and food places.

midlifecrashes

Fine with the idea of Sunday trading, making it under control of local authorities/mayors is nuts. Going to end up with worse anomalies than before. Just let planning regs sort out any difficulties, so if a premises is suitable on a Wednesday night, it should be on a Sunday.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Not fussed either way. I managed to not go short when shops used to be closed all day Sunday and half day Wednesday.

footflaps

In fact – dole scroungers should be forced to work night shifts and Sundays for just this eventuality or have their benefits stopped!

Only unpaid of course, we don’t want them having any money.

Why is Sunday special?

I’m sure Germany Religion is to blame!

GrahamS

Never understood why there is any restriction on Sunday trading.
    Seems like another outdated religious hangover really.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I often start the week weighed down and stifled by the Sunday money I have failed to spend due to the feckless, idle, bastards who can’t get themselves in to work on a SUnday. What can i do with this surplus cash. I can’t spend it on monday or tuesday, cos it sunday money isn’t it? I can’t save it, that’d be oppressing the economy. So every monday, with a heavy heart i hand it in my local conservative association who distribute it amongst needy toffs to spend on essentials like fox hunting bugles and walnut drinks cabinets for the back of their range rovers. This madness has got to stop.

jimster01

Keep em all shut I say…apart from pubs and food places.

Quite right, and we’ll bring back Sunday Licensing laws, 12 – 2.30 close reopen at 7.00 – 10.30, same for Xmas eve and Good Friday.

Whilst I can see a benefit to shops being open longer on a Sunday, there are another 6 days for them to open 12/24 hours a day is the 6 hours on a Sunday not long enough?

zippykona

Close the shops on Sunday. This country doesn’t know what to do with itself anymore.
    A day out for lots of families is a trip to ikea. Witness the supermarket queues on Boxing Day. The shops were shut for one day. **** get over it.
    When we get an inch of snow and people can’t get anywhere the sledges come . People are in the street actually having fun.
    Next it will be Christmas Day.
    **** tescos and **** every cynical money grabbing bastard.
    Ps I own a shop .

binners

Why is Sunday special?

Because he said so! Thats why!!!

Just thinking, if you had a predominently Jewish local council making the trading hours laws….

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPo9OBrIOi4[/video]

Drac

As for non-food shopping….I can think of many things I’d rather do on a Sunday that traipse around the shops.

That’s odd i can think of many things I’d rather do Monday to Sunday than go shopping, of course sometimes we have to go and do some shopping. Having the chance to do it what might be the only day off for over a week, a Sunday, it is great to get that chance.

totalshell

aslong as the same protections for religious folks for example my local jewish and muslim friends, then go all ronnie barker for all i care ..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If you want Special Sundays then close the pubs, restaurants, shops, bike shops, trail cafe’s, factories, farms, garages, hospitals, fire stations and the rest.

No half measures or you’re a hypocrite.

LMT
    Free Member

I think its wrong, and I work in retail, we never get any time off. Sunday after 4 or 5 in the bigger stores at least you can say I will be home for tea. I work in the smaller express stores these are open stupid hours 6-midnight everyday local councils need to clamp down on these, yes its a service but we coped in the old days with half day opening on Wednesday and closed on a sunday.

Someone said above we don’t know what to do when the shops shut and your right, that’s why we have massive credit card debt and numerous other anti-social issues, shut the shops!!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

why is Sunday special

Because Sunday is the day you can get up and go for a ride on relatively deserted roads for a couple of hours until the hoards head out once the shops have opened.

Drac

I work in retail, we never get any time off.

I bet you do. Even I get time off.

Someone said above we don’t know what to do when the shops shut

Bollocks!

hels
    Free Member

And the penalties are so silly – fines, phht. Go all the way and burn people at the stake who shop on sundays instead of going to church. Unless they confess their hereticism, then drown them instead.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I hate shopping but when I need to go get something on one of the two days a week I have off I don’t want to have to wait until 10 or 11 in the morning to start doing stuff, or suddenly realise at 16:00 I’m screwed. As other have said, having restricted opening hours on one of the two day the largest number of people have off is mad.

I’m not sure what some people point when they say make it a family day keep the shops closed. No oe is stopping you making sunday a family day, by having the shops open no one is forcing anything on you but by keeping the shops artificaly closed you are forcing something on others.

TheBrick
    Free Member

@LMT Plenty of otherindustries work 7 days a week.

br
    Free Member

Seems that the train companies/drivers are also still stuck in the 70’s. If you need to provide a 24/7 service then you should ensure your staff are scheduled 24/7, not rely on OT.

These include Sundays becoming part of the working week rather than being covered by drivers doing overtime.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/transport/scotrail-drivers-call-for-strike-ballot-over-pay-1-3813487

munrobiker
    Free Member

Good news, probably the only good thing this government has announced. When we lived in Scotland you never noticed the extra hours, but moving back to England not being able to nip out and get what you need when you realise that you don’t have something in for your lunch the next day, or you forgot something when you went on Saturday, or you run out of loo roll (blah blah blah, should be prepared, blah blah blah- life happens sometimes) is really annoying. Doesn’t have to be 24 hours but it’s a good idea.

binners

I thought I was the most disorganised person in the world. Apaprently not. Somehow, almost miraculously, I manage to get to the shops when they’re open.

I’d an initially foolishly assumed that this was due to the fact that, in the case of supermarkets, this is over 90% of the week.

But no. Apparently I’m just a master at organising my time. One of lifes natural planners. I probably should be running the government, or something

bruneep

Can we close hospitals, fire and police stations. On Sundays as well I’d like time off with family as well. The Ambos can work taking home the drunks from A&E after a sat night 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

binners – Member
    I thought I was the most disorganised person in the world. Apaprently not. Somehow, almost miraculously, I manage to get to the shops when they’re open.

So basically shops and Sundays are special?

We should probably stop bike races on Sundays too, TV seems a little extravagant as does Radio. In fact there should probably be a curfew.

Can we close hospitals, fire and police stations.

Tescos, the fourth emergency service.

richmtb

Sunday trading in Scotland has been unregulated for decades.

Is not caused any significant issues I’m aware of.

No one is forcing you to go to the shop but its handy if they are open when you might need something

binners

Mikes ideal Sunday….

😉

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

See, now if only the Indy Ref had been fought on the basis of how significant Sunday Trading £££ is, instead of oil and making stuff, Gideon would have had to back it. Quick phone Wee Nic.

jfletch
    Free Member

more staff will be needed = more jobs = more money floating about

There won’t be any more money, demand won’t go up, it will just be spread more evenly though the week.

The big chains will be lobbying for this as it gives them an advantage over the little guys. Their stores are already staffed etc. overnight due to restocking and what not. So the marginal cost of opening 24/7 is relatively tiny, it’s even smaller with the use of self service tills.

But smaller local shops can’t compete with this, it would be impossible for the local green grocer, butcher or even newsagent to open 24/7 as it would mean doubling or tripling their workforce without the same increase in revenue.

Why do you think the giant Tesco/Adsa etc. is open 24/6 but the local Express isn’t? Becuase even Tesco can’t make the economic of opening a small store for that long work.

Drac

The Ambos can work taking home the drunks from A&E after a sat night

OI! 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 120 total)

The topic ‘Sunday Trading….’ is closed to new replies.