• This topic has 30 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by ojom.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Sunday Road/Chilled rides, Edinburgh
  • ojom
    Free Member

Hello – this is an invitation from The Bike Chain, Edinburgh
    (whilst we admit this is not a mountain bike post we know some of you are not shy about wearing spray on clothes and hurting yourselves on bikes with 'big' wheels)

This will, hopefully, be the first of a regular series of rides over the coming winter months. We're aiming for them to be more of a social event than an out-and-out training run, although we expect that some participants may wish to push themselves occasionally. Stopping for food and a drink will be an essential part of the run.

Pace will be relatively gentle – I suspect we're looking at 20-25kph – and no one will be left behind.

A description of the route will be available and those (if any) speeding off at the front will be expected to wait at any major junctions.

Short-cuts may be deployed if delays occur or if the weather is particularly pants.

The first ride will take us out to North Berwick via Drem and back along the coast road through Gullane. Leaving from the shop, this works out at just under 76km and there are no major climbs.

A preview of the route is available here: http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course. … urse=90844

We will be setting off at 10:00 and should be returning to the shop between 14:00 and 15:00.

Any sort of road bike will be suitable. If you have a Mountain Bike, we can advise of some more suitable tyres which will make the day possible, if not quite as easy as for those on slicked-up road bikes.

If you are interested, please drop us an email at manager@thebikechain.co.uk so that we have an idea of numbers.

It is open to girls and boys and if you shave your legs and are a man then we will have to deal with you on your other individual merits!

– – -Mods if this breaks any rules then please let me know and accept my apologies. The shop will be shut on this day and there will be no intention to sell anyfink! – – –

rolfharris
    Free Member

I'm coming. Looking forward to the tea stop.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

i'd have been up for this, but think i have mtb plans that day. next time mark though 🙂

feenster
    Free Member

This sounds great. Been looking for a group road ride that sits somewhere between ctc and out and out roadie, so hoepfully this will be it.

Will check with my SO tonight and get back, but provisionally +2

btw, your link http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course doesn't go anywhere.

juan
    Free Member

Aye
    can't make this one, I have nae cap to put under my helmet or lycra to wear over my pants 😉

ojom
    Free Member

You are right. I am actually rubbish at the web

try this
    http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=90844

better?

feenster
    Free Member

That works

ojom
    Free Member

YAY!

Kit
    Free Member

Grrrr, this sounds ace, and just the kind of road riding I'm after, but I doubt I'll be able to make any of your future rides. Bah, grumble, etc 😐

robgarrioch

Go for it if it's tickled you Kit, we'll keep the Pentlands warm in your stead…
    (could now be referred to as the 'sinking ship' ride!)

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Can not make this Sunday but interested in future rides…..and a new road bike

rolfharris
    Free Member

Mark- can we make this a competition to see which of us can sell more shiney new road bikes?

😉

Think Lizzy's looking forward to it as well.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

superstar_opponents, didn't realise you were going on this, will anyone be safe now, and does mark have enough insurance to cover it?! i shall make a special effort to ride at the other side of the pack from you, in case you try to ride over me and my bike again. 😡 😉 😆

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Deviants the lot of you.

I thought I knew you but apparently not

*walks off with a sad shake of the head*

Kit
    Free Member

Deviants the lot of you.

There's a good old fashioned MTB ride on Sunday, if you're interested TJ?

epicsteve
    Free Member

and no one will be left behind.

I'm tempted to come along just to make you eat those words…

ojom
    Free Member

epicsteve – it will be more like me getting left behind!

Mark

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Kit – might be up for it.

jockhaggis
    Free Member

I would be up for future rides, away this weekend.

I may challenge epicsteve for the 'broom wagon' spot though.

cynic-al
    Free Member

A sad, sad day, tho at least you got shot of TJ

rolfharris
    Free Member

dgoab- I'd love to say I behave myself on the road bike, but that'd be a lie. The De Rosa's one of the best bikes I've got for wheelies!

ojom
    Free Member

I'll likely be driving across town on Sunday morning, passing through Currie, Juniper Green, Slateford, Dalry, Haymarket. If anyone wants a lift down to the shoppe, please let me know.

Colin

robgarrioch

Yay, a wanderer returns!

ojom
    Free Member

A wee bump

Weather is looking good

East Lothian

GW
    Free Member

Why have you used Km/Kmh instead of miles?
    50miles in 5 hours does indeed sound a chilled ride, especially in East Lothian you'd better wrap up warm 😉

ojom
    Free Member

Why kilometers? Why not? I guess I've always thought in km when it comes to any sort of route planning. Once you're used to the OS 1:50k and 1:25k maps, nothing else makes sense.

As for the speed, while it may seem like a walk in the park to some folk on here, the aim of the ride is to encourage the less fit/confident into stretching themselves a little. Some of the road clubs around here have a bit of a reputation for leaving new riders behind, or setting "minimum" speed requirements that put them off.

Anyway – you don't know how long we're going to stop for coffee, cake, chips, ice cream etc.

Colin

feenster
    Free Member

Ended up getting food poisoning on saturday and spent saturday evening throwing up, hence wasn't up for it on Sunday. I was all set for it as well, even bought myself a new saddle bag and compressed air thingy, so I didn't have to wear my camel back.

Anyway, weather looked great, did it go ahead?

Any plans for another?

robgarrioch

Judging by the participants attempts to monopolise all other Lothian based threads :-), the road ride was successful; see here, near the bottom…

ojom
    Free Member

It did indeed go ahead.

Chips at North Berwick followed by ice cream at Musselburgh.

50miles ish all done. Averaged out at 15mph so a super laid back spin in the sun.

Good day.

Kit
    Free Member

When's the next one planned for?

ojom
    Free Member

Prolly about 4 weeks.

PLanning an off road this coming sunday… more news when we get our fingers out and think of a route. Its north from here, that much we know.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Sunday Road/Chilled rides, Edinburgh’ is closed to new replies.