Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Sunday morning Brompton bike bodgery!
  • piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

The problem: Brompton front light bracket is breaking (AGAIN!) where the vibrations work harden the metal and it cracks. The light fitting is also stupendously low, so a replacement bracket and a higher fitting are in order

The solution: Front dynamo light now mounted on the bars and everything still works 😀

Here’s what I did.

Cut down replacement light bracket and drilled a hole in it.
    Undid the allen bolt securing the bars and put light bracket in between the ‘squashy’ bits of the stem. Also put in a tap washer I’d cut down and made the hole bigger so that the bolt could still compress the ‘squashy stem bits’ and hold the light bracket securely. Had to bend the bracket back quite a bit so that the light would foul when the Brompton is folded

P1050939 by gary_foulger, on Flickr

Next filed som bits of plastic off the light itself so I could move it to the right angle and lengthened the wires to the front hub dynamo. The cables to the rear light were long enough as they were. Cable tied the cables down the stem and left a bit of the loop by the hinge for the fold.
    Wired everything up and tested – it all still worked – yay!

P1050937 by gary_foulger, on Flickr

OK, it’s a bit behind the brake cables, but at all fits and works well.

Only downside is that the light sticks out a bit when folded, but reckon I can live with that – probably.

P1050935 by gary_foulger, on Flickr

All in all, I’m happy with how it went, for a change

TiRed

I used to have the same BM light. Of course it doesn’t fit under the front bag. So I took a grinder and ground off all of the reflector on the top and sides until it looked like an upturned ‘U’, fitted fine with a beast of a bracket after that. Not sure I have a photo any more.

I also mounted a Nordlicht dynamo on the front fork, in the days before narrow SON hubs.

T1000
    Free Member

P d f

newer brackets are made of a bent rod and seem more robust than the bent metal type… Saying that which type did you have?

I swapped out the stock BM for the cyo 60 led which is a vast improvement (works well under the bag + a safety light on the bars…

your welcome to the spare bracket if you like before it gets lost in the clutter in my garage…..

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Sunday morning Brompton bike bodgery!’ is closed to new replies.