Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Sunday Evening Brain Teaser
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

More questions than you could shake a pooy stick at!

Wife and I are looking to go to the Alps this summer. Last year, we went with friends and boxed the bikes up and they went down to the airport in the estate cars with friends who were coming with us.

This year, they're not coming so we need to get down ourselves. This is where the fun begins as we have a Corolla hatchback (3 door). Now, at weekends, two bikes and a couple of kit bags get thrown in there no problem. However, we're starting to realise that two packed bikes and two lots of luggage are not going to fit.

One way rental cars work out about £170 more expensive than airport parking. So, the idea now is that we get a couple of EVOC bikes or Crateworks boxes and stick them in the back of the car with the luggage. The bikes can then go down on the outside of the car and I'll pack them up the night before in the hotel room.

My thinking is that if we take the money that would be spent on one way car hire and add a little to it, at least we'd own something that might be useful. So, some roof bars and a couple of Thule 591s? A tow ball and a rack for that or a boot mounted rack although I think that would need some wiring work and a light board. We did look at the Saris bones but I think the bumper on the back of the Corolla is a bit "cosmetic" and doesn't feel structural enough to mount a boot rack. Also, the side straps would hook onto the frameless glass rather than any metalwork so not overly impressed with that idea. The other option is, assuming that we could get two packed EVOc bags or Cratework boxes in the car (I assumed they'd have to go flat packed) would I be better getting a roof box and putting the luggage in there?

Also looked at trains and buses to the airport but times and costs really don't work out for those. So, over to STW for p155 taking or fresh ideas.

joolsburger
    Free Member

of course it will fit

Wheels off seatposts off turn bars no problem at all i did two bikes two people and luggage in a puma to the alps

nickjb
    Free Member

I'd box them up in a cardboard box from your LBS then stick them on a roof rack with tarp over the top.

stevomcd
    Free Member

It'll fit, no problem.

We've been to the airport with 2 bikes + luggage in the back of an Ibiza. Got to be smaller than a Corolla.

Bike bags better than boxes as they tend to be smaller (and easier to "squeeze in" if it ends up a bit tight).

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Conti Vert Pros, surely?
    😉

Onzadog
    Free Member

Well, the boxes last year didn't fit when I picked them up from the bike shop and I measured the load space and two EVOC bags would pretty much fill the whole load space. Not even any room for the bags. That's why I'm thinking of flattening the bags and carrying the bikes outside. If we were driving all the way, it would all fit no problem, the issue is that I need/want to pack the bikes to be airline proof (or as airline proof as I can make them).

Just found out that hiring a small van for the week actually costs less than two one way trips in a hired estate car!

falkirk-mark

Borrow yer mates motor. I claim my fiver

Onzadog
    Free Member

Nice idea but ones a company car and the other is being used by the self employed guy for his job.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Sunday Evening Brain Teaser’ is closed to new replies.