Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Sun & snow – 1 holiday?
  • Roblilly
    Free Member

I fancy a bit of snowboarding but like to go every other day and would like to go somewhere that has a bit of both.

Moon on a stick?

I have been to Sierra Nevada in Spain once and that was pretty good and I also understand you can do the same in Cyprus but the videos I have seen look a bit limited.

Budget £5k, 10 days to 2 weeks, 2 adults, 2 kids

Suggestions please!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Dubai?

🙂

lunge

Serre Chavalier late season? I went in March a couple of years ago and it wasreally warm, i’m sure I read that Briancon get’s more sun per year than most of the Med.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Anywhere you go that combine both warm weather and snow is going to be either very inconsistent, tiny or a long drive and change in altitude between the two. I’d suggest alternating days is just going to mean a lot of driving.

You could go somewhere like Tahoe and do the midweek in the mountains when its quieter and drop down to the Californian coast for the weekends for a bit of a relax.

Or just go pretty much anywhere late in the season when there is a fair chance of sunny days. Snow’s crap though, either ice or slush with a small window mid morning when it’s working its way between the two states.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

+1 California and Tahoe or even Yosemite way!

ransos
    Free Member

I went to Tignes in the summer – you can ski on the glacier, but it gets a bit slushy by mid morning, so start early. If you’re looking for warmish weather with snowboarding as a bonus, it would fit the bill, but don’t expect miracles.

Roblilly
    Free Member

Cool, thanks all!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Serre Che was roasting in March!

m1kea
    Free Member

‘Locals’ said they could surf in LA in the morning and then ski at Mammoth in the afternoon.

I’m sure you can but I certainly wouldn’t fancy the 300+ mile drive EACH way to do such a thing.

That said, the snow in Mammoth was fab when we went in 06.

jam-bo

Serre Che was roasting in March!

Flaine was roasting in Febuary.

mysterymove
    Free Member

Morocco – only place I’ve been you can board on snow and surf in the same day…

ansdy

when I was with switchbacks in Spain, Michael was talking about a trip from the
    skiing area around Granada. skiing to the snow line then meeting the van with the bikes in and continuing on to the coast. maybe give him a call, I’m sure he’d be up for that still!

Roblilly
    Free Member

I had a go at Granada and whilst it was pretty good, I fancy somewhere different.

Tahoe & Cali look interesting and I’m surprised that the cost is not too bad

Will see what comes up.

Thanks for the suggestions!

njee20
    Free Member

Tahoe would get my vote fo sho.

29erKeith
    Free Member

Chile? Andes to Pacific in a few hours

joemarshall
    Free Member

Is it warm in the S. of France in winter? Just cos Alps -> South of France is only 200km. Tahoe -> LA as suggested above, 600km, even Tahoe -> San Francisco must be >300km (and that wouldn’t have the winter sun).

hammerite
    Free Member

New Zealand or Australia? Probably struggle with budget though.

Whilst people are suggesting Alpine type places the roasting weather was probably luck (good or bad depending if you were expecting to cycle or ski). We were in Les Arcs this year skiing in t-shirts at 23C at 2,500m high, while it was about 30C in the valley. It’s just too inconsistent to be sure that you could do both comfortably.

davetrave
    Free Member

Don’t bother with Cyprus – the ski area will give you a day’s worth of exploration at best and when it’s in condition it’s absolutely rammed with locals. That said, when I was based there, it was great being able to ski all morning and then 45 minutes later be sat on the beach having a barbie all afternoon!

juan
    Free Member

Yeah south alps is what you’re looking for. Or any other Mediterranean ski resort.

Auron, for example.

Or Isola 2000.

lunge

You can do Les Deux Alpe to Frejus in 3 hours with a (very) heavy right foot. South of France is very nice in the summer and you can ski the glacier in Les 2’Alpe at that time of year.

You can also do Gloucester dry ski slope to Western-super-Mare in 1.5 hours as well.

alan-sierracycling
    Free Member

From December to March we have 4-day biking with a 2-day skiing option in the Sierra Nevada.
    Stunning singletrack with a top class ski resort.
    http://www.sierracycling.com since 1992.

scottyjohn
    Free Member

I used to work in Alpe d’Huez and by April we were skiing in the morning, with a good cover all over the mountain, and then afternoon lounging by the pool which has a lot of sun loungers around. Totally fantastic mix of both. Alpe d’Huez has one of the best sun/snow records in the Alps. Even Les Deux Alpes cn be covered in cloud across the valley and ADH is scorching. Serre Chevalier is quite low so not very snow sure although gets its share of sun in my experience.

sebgt
    Free Member

Have been to Kaprun in Austria in the summer, skied on the glacier until lunchtime gone down to the village to 30degrees by the pool. The runs are pretty limited but we did get fresh snow but not enough for 2 weeks

100mphplus
    Free Member

Whistler BC, the Blackcomb glacier is open until the end of July there, I think it has one of the longest snow seasons on the planet.

You can sunbathe, MTB and snowboard in one holiday, all within 10 mins of your accomodation.

Really is heaven on earth 8)

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“Moon on a stick?” – Yes

Or try some where like Isola 2000 which is about a 2hr drive from Nice, but you might end up with no snow, or loads of snow and not wanting to go on a beach. Too much faffing around IMO.

The only other alternative is summer skiing, but thats not much fun either.

devs
    Free Member

Isola 2000.
    I’ve also skied the last week of the season in Val d’Isere many times and have always had great snow but also come down and sunbathed with a beer in the afternoon/evening.

Morocco – only place I’ve been you can board on snow and surf in the same day…

You’ve not been to Moray then?

Edit: To be fair this would have to be in late Apr/May.

Roblilly
    Free Member

I have got enough suggestions now to last a few years so thank you all!

What a well travelled bunch on here 🙂

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Sun & snow – 1 holiday?’ is closed to new replies.