Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Summerhouse/garden retreat etc. Anyone got one and where from?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

I’ve got a sizeable space I’d like to fill with a Summerhouse come garden retreat/youth club. Basically somewhere daughter/son could have mates to crash over without being in the house and subsequently somewhere me and Mrs ws can go hide, play darts listen to music and maybe even have a pool table up there. Thinking 6m x 3m.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Yep, we’ve got one, but only a relatively small one (there’s usually just two of us, but for in there is fine).

We got ours from http://www.timber-cabins.co.uk/acatalog/TF-Range-Log-Cabin.html

…and specifically, got the TF3. We also went for 70mm width on the timber and this makes for a very solid, strong construction. Nothing like the paper thin flimsy ‘shed with a window’ you get from the big DIY sheds. Ours is fully double glazed with tilt & turn windows and proper locking doors. Spend as much as you can on a quality product and it will be a real asset. Don’t forget to budget for a proper concrete base as well and some decent roofing materials (we used Eco Slates )

voodoo_chile

Yes 13ft x 8ft …half gym and half chill out area ,2 seater couch big armchair and TV with hard-drive and Xbox for kids …nice space

wrightyson
    Free Member

Base is already down. It’s a soon to be ex decking area. Built by me so you could park a lorry on it without any fear of movement. I can’t see how I can knock one up cheaper but I’m gonna have to do a cost for comparison exercise just to alleviate my builder type save a few quid fears.

voodoo_chile

Cost me about 600 base is 4×2 and walls are 3×2 with osb on it , cladded with shiplap

core

Disused railway runs the side of our garden, last ran in steam days. At the top of the garden at almost 90° to it is a brick ‘hump back’ skew bridge, which the farm, and our drive goes over.

My Dad is a bit of a train buff and I’m mildly interested, having been dragged (half willingly) on so many steam trips.

So, my long term plan is to get an old goods wagon against the line to use as a summerhouse/man cave/retreat. Would look brilliant.

jonnyboi

We had one built by a local Joiner, turned out much cheaper than the big boys. He also did a ranch style covered veranda round the house. You could try local Facebook groups etc. for recommendations

hot_fiat

Yes, bought a Dunster House kit which I reworked with loads of supawrap insulation and extra cladding. Made it very warm and cosy. Was sadly only in the house another 6 months after finishing it and had to leave the summerhouse behind. It was awesome. Very well made and easy to assemble. I’d buy another in a flash. I used shed grids as foundations and treated every bit of timber before assembly.

Stalkbook photo album

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I helped my brother build his Dunster summerhouse. All the wood was cut to fit, it slotted together easily. He had the double skin with 70mm (?) of insulation so with moderate heat it’s not just a summerhouse.

pocketrocket
    Free Member

I’m in the same dilemma and was going to be building my own shed/summerhouse in next the next couple of months. This is where I’m looking at buying everything,
    http://www.timber-shiplap-cladding.co.uk/

But, I’m very tempted by the log cabins on here, I haven’t actually worked out all the prices yet but I can’t really see it being that much different to building my own.
    https://www.tuin.co.uk/Log-Cabins.html?gclid=CMD52Of7l9ECFVAQ0wodz_IPOQ
    Look nice bits of kit with good reviews and minimal hassle in building it,
    Arrggh!! decisions decisions, better get the calculator out and work it out!

eskay

Bookmarked

ayupwesty
    Free Member

Another Dunster house recommendation.
    Got a deal in their January sale two years ago, went up very easily and is well made.
    It’s half gum half summer house.

cb

I went with the Garden Office dot co dot uk. Spendy but DIY not an option for me and joiner quotes were not much cheaper.

Might be worth googling Dunster House customer care before committing to them – despite the positivity above…

righog
    Free Member

Been knocking this one up over the last few months. Not finished yet obv. internals and landscaping to finish.

hot_fiat

If I was to build again I’d go dunster house but get a local carpenter to make me some doors. The stock doors are draughty shite.

MoreCashThanDash

Right living the STW dream with a built in wood store!

Rockape63
    Free Member

Just put mine on Ebay.

http://r.ebay.com/zrq3nZ

redstripe
    Free Member

If you are down south, we got one of these 4 years ago for the same purpose for a home office & teenage kids/friends overflow space: http://www.fencingcentre.co.uk/penthouse-log-cabin-55m-x-40m.asp
    It was a fair bit cheaper back then though. We just bought the kit and did the base, build, insulation, electrics etc ourselves which was all straightforward to do over a week with me and a mate doing it all. Still looking good and has had plenty of use.

Bunnyhop

Got a friend who does this kind of thing, have a look here

https://www.facebook.com/spacetwo/

redthunder
    Free Member

You need approx 5ft of cuing room around the pool table you choose as a guide.

redthunder
    Free Member

And..

I have a 5ft slate table that converts to a dining table, circa 1910.

Mine was restored professionly and is quite nice.

They turn up now and again on ebay and could make a nice project for your summerhouse and you get slate, not mdf mank.

ebygomm
    Free Member

We looked round a Dunster House today but wasn’t overly impressed. Think we’ll end up going with a Tuin. Although we’ve been dithering about exactly what to get and what sort of base to do for many months now.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Summerhouse/garden retreat etc. Anyone got one and where from?’ is closed to new replies.