Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Summer Tyre Combo……what do you run?
  • letmetalktomark

I currently run the same size tyre on both the front and back of my two bikes (2.0 & 2.1 respectively Intense System 2 & Ithos IRC)

I am reading more and more that for summer/dry folk are running a smaller width tyre out back but still running a wide width tyre out front.

I understand the rationale as to why some folk choose this but what do people tend to run?

Would a Minnion (DHF) suit? (I only ask as I have a pair?)

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

maxxis highroller xc 2.1 on the back and the usual wtb wierwolf 2.3 ont front, seems to be a good combo for me in the peaks. FWIW the minions come up very small IME.

njee20
    Free Member

2.1" Rocket Rons, or when it's properly dry a 2.1" Furious Fred on the back, go for the faster tyre on the back, not necessarily narrower.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Racing Ralph on the back Nobbly Nick on the front, fast, grips well, just works for me.

Drac

Maxis Highr Rollers

In the winter I change them to Maxis High Rollers.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

2.1 Small Block 8s front and rear. Griptastic!

ojom
    Free Member

Same as Winter, Autumn and Spring.

mttm
    Free Member

2.25" Advantage on the front, 2.25" Aspen on the rear. Marvelous combo – fast everywhere, plenty of cornering grip.

Winter can see another Advantage go on the back, but it depends where I'm riding, the Aspen is surprisingly versatile.

will
    Free Member

I think it massivly depends on your riding. On the bigger bikes I used to stick with a 2.35 High roller all year round.

However on my XC bike I change the tyres a bit as it's all about speed and efficiency etc… Maxxis 2.1 Aspens front and back.

donks
    Free Member

2.1 SB8's as well great tyres.

failedengineer

Slight thread hijack – On-one are selling Maxxis Ignitor 2.3 and Kenda Nevegal 2.1 for 14.99 each. Anyone any comments on these tyres as 'all-rounders?' Is the Nevegal a large 2.1?

njee20
    Free Member

Is the Nevegal a large 2.1?

Does rather depend what you compare it to, but yes it is among the largest 2.1"s.

letmetalktomark

Should have clarified…Both bikes are HT's set for XC/general playing about on.

Peter; are the small blocks really that grippy?

takisawa2

2.1 SmallBlocks here. Rode MachX & Tarw at CyB last weekend, loads of grip. Very impressed. Come up nice & big also, as big as some "2.2" tyres I've had. Ran them at about 38psi & no pinch flats on all them Welsh rocks. Local for me is Cannock's Monkey trail. They're ok on that, fine where its hard but they are a bit sketchy where its loose. That said my 2.1 Nev & BlueGroove struggled sometimes.
    Planning to leave the SB8's on until things get mushy again.
    Very impressed with them. Practically zero rolling resistance has you barrelling into corners too fast sometimes.
    Saved a pound in weight when I swapped from 2.35 Nev/BlueGroove to the SB8's.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I have 1.95 WTB exiwolfs on the back, and either a 2.1-2.35 nobby nic, kenda bluegroove or maxxis highroller on the front of my SS and XC HT in the summer. In winter trailrakers.

FS has highrollers F&R in all weathers.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Peter; are the small blocks really that grippy?

I think so. To me they're like a motorbike tyre – Rounded profile and the same grip all the way over to the edges. I find it seems like I can lean a bike right over and the grip just stays the same. No big edge knobbles to flex. 🙂

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

what about cornering on loose stuff e.g. sandy trails like in some areas of teh peak or even woburn etc?

letmetalktomark

Tis very sandy in this part of the world – so as above keen to hear how they perform on looser stuff.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Currently:

Sauswerwind S Works 1.8" rear
    Nobby Nic 1.8" Evo front

Both pumped up to a million PSi. Rolltastic!

BigAirNig
    Free Member

Schwalbe Rocket Ron – Front
    Racing Ralph – Rear
    Tubeless

Fast …. with GRIP

FuzzyWuzzy

Aspen on the front and an Advantage on the rear, although thinking about switching to a Crossmark on the rear

njee20
    Free Member

Ran them at about 38psi & no pinch flats on all them Welsh rocks

I'd bloody well hope not!

BigAirNig, why the Ralph? Rons are lighter, yet grippier, the only reason I can really see to run Ralphs is that they're slightly tougher with a stiffer carcass. Why not put a Ron, or even a Fred on the back?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

what about cornering on loose stuff e.g. sandy trails like in some areas of teh peak or even woburn etc?

It's sorta loamy round here. It gets dusty in summer, but not sandy as such. To be honest, I'd use them anywhere. They'll be on for Bikefest (Unless it rains) and it's fast and a bit rocky there. Once I find a tyre I like I tend to stick to it. 🙂

I think people tend to think no knobbles = no grip, which aint necessarily so. 🙂

localhero94
    Free Member

How robust are the Ron's? looking at running a 2.4 on the front tubeless on a stan's arch but was worried about the stiffness of the sidewalls?

njee20
    Free Member

They're not that tough.

I run my 2.1s at 25-30psi without any problem, but I'm only 10.5 stone. They do squirm more than some, and they wear out pretty fast.

But… they're very light and grip very nicely. My favourite all-purpose tyre.

localhero94
    Free Member

njee20 – Member

They're not that tough.

I run my 2.1s at 25-30psi without any problem, but I'm only 10.5 stone. They do squirm more than some, and they wear out pretty fast.

But… they're very light and grip very nicely. My favourite all-purpose tyre.

Hmmm… I'm over 2 stone heavier so I'm not sure they'd suit. I usually run 2.25 snakeskin ralph on the rear that works well so could try one on the front but I'm not sure I've got enough skill for the lowered levels of grip from the minion I've got at the moment (you've seen me ride njee20 – it's not a pretty sight!).

Clembo
    Free Member

Michelin mountain dry2. Cheap from on one. Roll fast and surprisingly grippy. I was a tyre changing sceptic before I ran these summer specific tyres. I can now see the point in not running mud x's all year now 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Well the Ron is a slightly faster, grippier, but more flimsy tyre than the Ralph, so really it depends on what you want out of it. I think they're well worth a look! I don't think you'd have any problems with them squirming if you're fine with other Schwalbes.

neninja
    Free Member

2.25 Nobby Nic up front and a 2.1 Racing Ralph out back

Paceman
    Free Member

Maxxis High Roller 2.35 Front

Maxxis Aspen 2.1 Rear

High Rollers F&R Autumn to Spring.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

winter; Minion F + R
    summer; Minion F, Crossmark R

low rolling resistance but lots of grip on the front in turns/descents.

maxray
    Free Member

2.25 Nobby Nic on front and currently a 2.1 smart sam on the back.

Ummed 'n' ahhed about small block 8's but have a feeling they would be rubbish in cannock's dunes. Does anyone go up there regular and use them??

benman
    Free Member

Running those michelin dry 2's on both bikes, bit sketchy when it gets damp, but fast as hell on dry dusty trails. At £9.99 an end, you can't go wrong…

james-o
    Free Member

2.2 Conti Racekings on my HT at the mo, best dry / packed conditions tyres i've used once you realise just how much grip they have on the front – a lot more than you'd think from looking at them. low pro tred doesn't squirm or flex, they roll really fast too.

BigAirNig
    Free Member

njee20 – the Ralph reportedly rolls better as a rear, but used the Ron up front for cornering grip …..

One of those eternal searches for what's best in which situation and taking advice from others who have tried combo's.

I didn't go for a Fred on the rear as it's seldom dry enough, often enough to keep one on there – this is English weather we're riding in !! I couldn't be arsed to change it all the time, so went for what I hoped would be a good compromise of weight/rolling/grip etc for british summer in different parts of the UK, for rides when I go away ……

ooOOoo
    Free Member

2.3 nevegal F, 2.3 sb8 R. Fast and goes where I point it.

flipiddy
    Free Member

SB8 really are a highly overrated tyre when it comes to grip. Late braking into corners is not encouraged and overall not a good all-round "ragging it" tyre. They do grip well sometimes, but not consistently. Fast & loose off camber stuff us where they often come unstuck. *

Best compromise I've found is the Nobby Nic (Front) and Racing Ralph (Rear). Good enough for 3 seasons and the ralphs are almost as fast as SB8's. Nobby Nic has some tenacious grip for leaning into corners too.*

Not cheap, but worth it.*

*All in my very honest and humble opinion of course

😀

chiefgrooveguru

2.3 Speed King front and rear, 33 & 38 psi respectively, just over 12 stone of me. Roll fast, seem to be grippy enough. I think I'll drop the pressure a bit when it's wet.

Nonsense
    Free Member

2.25 60a Advantage on the front and 2.25 60a Crossmark on the rear in the summer. Either 2.25 60a Advantage or Bonty MudX 2.0 both ends the rest of the year, ground depending. Best combos I've found so far. Want to try Rubber Queens but I'd need to sell a kidney.

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

benman – Member

Running those michelin dry 2's on both bikes, bit sketchy when it gets damp, but fast as hell on dry dusty trails. At £9.99 an end, you can't go wrong…

unless its damp eh? 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Summer Tyre Combo……what do you run?’ is closed to new replies.