Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • summer road rubber – recccomendations
  • iainc

My Giant PSL2 23c tyres that came on my Defy Composite are done. What recommendations for a decent 23c all rounder for mainly summer use ? Looking at Conti GP4000S 11 on wiggle so far

dknwhy

I’ve got the conti ones. Happy with them so far. Not tempted with 25mm?

Worth a read:
    Tyre testing

iainc

Thanks. Am tempted but not sure if there is clearance on the carbon Defy…

dknwhy

I’d be surprised if there isn’t, although I doubt you’ll get guards on aswell.
    Not sure if they are actually faster but they seem to absorb bumps better.

iainc

Interesting as don’t use guards. May go with 25 then, ta

lunge

25mm Schwalbe Ultremo’s. Not overly robust but a good, fast summer tyre. If you want cheap, I picked up some very cheap Hutchinson Atom’s a whole ago and was very impressed for the money.

TiRed

25c Schwalbe Ones. They fit my Defy SL.

warton
    Free Member

Looking at Conti GP4000S

You’ve answered your own question. I’ve had them on two bikes for 3 years. 3 pairs so far, about 18k miles across the 3 pairs. 1 puncture, they roll well and corner predictably.

No better all round clincher IMO.

eshershore
    Free Member

2nd generation GP4000 or Specialized S-Works Turbo in either 24mm or 26mm (the new model)

both very good, the Turbos are quicker but the Conti will outlast the Turbo by some distance

I’m running the 26mm in my Tarmac SL4 and there is plenty of room, it certainly comes up a little smaller in volume than the Specialized Roubaix 25c

trailmoggy
    Free Member

Conti 400s are good I just don’t like the look of them, ultremos aren’t good as they were and michelins pro race have never been any good

simondbarnes

Been very impressed by Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp over the last couple of years or so. Prefer them to the GP4000s I used prior to these – grippier, feel a bit faster (subjective of course) and they last longer.

Will be replacing them with the new Fortezza Senso when they wear out.

trailmoggy
    Free Member

Yeah forgot about tri comps, I liked mine and they lasted ages

geetee1972
    Free Member

Personally I am big fun of the open tubular type construction that Vittoria, Veloflex and Challenge use. They make for a very supple and fast tyre that is also very comfy. For fast winter and autumn riding I use the Vittoris Open Paves and for spring and summer so far this year I’ve used the Vittoria Corsa CX, which is really lovely but it doesn’t like the wet much at all.

The Open Tubular construction though, while very supple, does kill longevity. You’ll get maybe three thousand KM from a set though they are not any more expensive than vulcanised types from Conti etc.

I’ve got a set of Conti 4 Seasons on the winter/commute bike and I seem to be getting a puncture once a month on those currently which is frustrating. That equates to about 600kms.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘summer road rubber – recccomendations’ is closed to new replies.