Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • summer holiday ideas…..non biking
  • ton

having spent the last 10 years doing something bikie, mrs ton is laying down the law.
    and to be honest, i have no idea where to go.
    where is good nowadays
    somewhere hot, scenic, with lots to do, by the sea, nice accomodation, hotel or nice villa.

help me please. 😥

SlowJohn
    Free Member

I went to menorca last year for the first time which was surprisingly very nice it depends what you want to do. Theres no real nightclubs as such but the towns are lovely lots of interesting places to go and the beaches were nice its very much a family oriented place and my three kids loved it.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Calella de palafrugell or llafranc on the costa brava. Beautiful wild, rugged coastline, proper spanish food, loads to do/see nearby and last but defo not least, virtually bu66er all brits!.

And if you’ve got a hire car, la molina bike park is a mere 2.5 hrs away.

Skippy

How about Greece, quite a few different islands there each with their own character. Food good, beaches, nightlife… Just make sure you choose the right one, some are noisy, some really quiet.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve always fancied santorini Skippy, you been there?.

geoffj

Sardinia is lovely – Santa Teresa is worth 2 weeks of anyone’s life.

Keva
    Free Member

second Sardinia, Santa Teresa is a really good place to go.

chakaping
    Free Member

Andalucia.

I love it there. It has mountains, beaches, ruins, beautiful towns and several great cities. Great food and drink. Very affordable for Europe and very laid back too.

You can even sneak probably off to one of the bike holiday companies and hire a bike/join a group ride for a day and do some amazing riding.

Taff
    Free Member

New York?

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

Essouraria in Morocco – beautiful and very rock n roll – Hendrix used to have a house here – great surf and lots to see and do. Trips up the Atlas mountains – stay in Marrakesh for a couple of days, even easyjet have started flying there – little piece of culture three hours flight away…

SnS
    Free Member

Watching this post with interest as I’m in exactly the same situation as Ton.

Used to doing activity type hols & have been told in no uncertain terms that somewhere sunny….with minimal outdoor activities are in order this year.

I’m stuck !

I’ve been quite a few places on this planet & to be totally honest, I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m not really a conventional holiday type person. I’ve never been able to sit down & just do nothing….sorry "relax" – The idea of two weeks lounging round a pool & bar, drinking, reading & with occasional dips in the aforementioned pool fills me with dread ! ( the drinking & reading bits are fine, but the doing nothingness is a complete killer for me)

To my mind, the best ‘holidays’ I’ve had have included things like the Pennine Way, outdoor activity weeks in the Cardigan bay area & just for some ‘sun’ balance, a couple of trips to Florida ( but having been there a couple of times now & it’s a case of been there & done that)

Half tempted to take up an offer of visiting some friends in Hong Kong, but the flip side of this would be having to visit the sister in law who currently lives in the mid west of the USA. ( & their ain’t an awful lot to do in the mid west)

So, please keep the suggestions coming as I’m also looking for ideas.

Chris

MrNutt
    Free Member

take her to venice, the place is gonna sink soon and there’s no worries of those "hmm if I’d just brought my bike" guilty moments! ;D

fotheringtonthomas
    Free Member

SCOTLAND EVERY YEAR TENS OF PEOPLE however have you ever been to Orkney or the Western isles a very diferent holiday

Harry_the_Spider

If history is your thing the have a look at Malta.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Perfect solution. Eurocamp static caravan somewhere in France, take the bikes so you can get about (away for a quick blast)

Done it the last few years and always manage to find a bit of a ride out 🙂

OK its hardly like trail center stuff but at least you can still holiday with your bike too.

stratobiker
    Free Member

ha ha ha….

but you’ll have the last word won’t you ton……

"Yes Dear!"……

😆 😆 😆

Skippy

Nobeerinthefridge- never been to santorini, but it looks nice. I went to Vasiliki mainly for windsurfing and also for biking so maybe not one for Ton unless you can creep out for a sneaky bike ride in the morning. Wouldn’t recommend Vasiliki as it had a lot of mosquitos and is a bit of a windsurfers paradise, but I’m sure there are some other islands wothy of a visit.

nasher
    Free Member

Italain Riviera?

lovely beaches, nice weather, all the glitz of the Riviera, yet just 1km inland it all changes, medieval villages untouched by time and commerce, stunning scenery and incredible mountains.

And if you fancy a day or two on the bike whilst the missus is sunning on the beach look here

PeterHerold
    Free Member

I third Sardinia, we liked it so much we came to live here. Walking, beaches, sea kayaking, lovely sea…it’s a great place for an “outdoor” holiday. And a sarnie for lunch made with locally-produced and tasty and low emissions ham and cheese costs only 1 euro 50 at the local supermarket, just the job.
    ciao Peter
    PS we live on east coast

ampthill

Cycling has been on and off for me so have lots of non cycling experience

Possibly the best holiday I’ve been on is a Flottila holiday with Neilson in greece

I could sail already but if you have 2 weeks you can start from scratch

First week is living in a hotel with about a 4 day sailing course. The rest of the week you can relax, sail in dinghies or cycle!

Then its a week on the yacht. Each day you have a briefing where you’ll be told a destination and arrival time. Then its off on your own!

A really good balance of lying in the sun, swimming in the sea, exploring and doing something.

uplink
    Free Member

how about a boating holiday on the canal du midi?

stoney
    Free Member

This is Ayr…..

we have been there 3 times and each time the weather has been very good on the whole.

uplink
    Free Member

I think you overlooked one of his criteria

somewhere hot

ton

blinking heck, thats a beach and half…

Fagus
    Free Member

Egypt, down the Nile. Temples, pyramids etc. It’s too hot in summer, so the tourist season is October/November. You get all summer on the bike, and Mrs gets a good hot interesting holiday.

stoney
    Free Member

It has never been exactly cold………That`s why all the car doors are open!

stoney
    Free Member

ton – Member
    blinking heck, thats a beach and half…

YIP, and it is kept clean cause there is a tractor goes up and down daily to clean up seaweed etc. Sand is nice and soft too.

chico
    Free Member

have a look at my apartment. always hot in tenerife she’ll love it

chico
    Free Member
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘summer holiday ideas…..non biking’ is closed to new replies.