Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Summer endurance races (3-10 hours) with singlespeed category?
  • chrispo
    Free Member

Are there any *races* (not non-competitive events) in England or Wales over the summer that last 3-10 hours and have a *solo* singlespeed category?

Have been looking around but now seriously losing the will to live, so thanks for any input.

chrispo
    Free Member

None at all? Really?

scotroutes

Can 3 hours really be an “endurance” race?

shaggy

Why does there need to be a single speed class?

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Was just about to suggest one I’d done before.. But the website seems thin on details. The post about it says 9th May, but when I did it was in July. 9th May is also a Friday, so no sense in that being the date..?
    Here:
    http://armycyclingunion.co.uk/are-you-tough-enough-for-enduro/

dave360

Big Dog Brighton innit

You’ve missed Erlestoke 12 (6 hour option) and Bristol Bike Fest (6 or 3 hour option).
    Bristol Bike Fest Oktoberfest (8 or 4 hours)is the only other one I can think of that has a SS category, but then that’s not really summer.

Jason
    Free Member

Are You Tough Enough was replaced by the Merida Summer Monkey – although that didn’t have a single speed class. I am pretty sure Bristol Bikefest had a single speed class, but you have missed it for this year.

Most people are happy to just race singlespeeds in the normal race.

DrP

^^
    Tis true…
    There were a few of us racing on SS for this,but no specific cat.

Big Dog coming up – again, no SS cat (AFAIK) in that.

DrP

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Nag charliethebikemonger to organise something?

chrispo
    Free Member

Thanks guys, maybe have to wait for Bristol in October then.

I frequently race SS against geared bikes which is fine but it’s normally only me, and I really fancy a proper race against a load of other SSers.

(@scotroutes – three hours is hardly a short sprint!)

qwerty
    Free Member

If it’s a long summer, SSUK2014 has a singlespeed category.

tazzymtb

Yeah, maybe the single speed uk champs and race against a couple of hundred ssers? The organisers are tossers though and I wouldn’t bloody trust them to orangise a shag fest in a brothel. They would most likely just take your money and go to the pub

postierich
    Free Member

all the SS,s these days are cheating b***ards with their big 29 stoopid wheels .
    Try Dyfi enduro luddite class thats what all the men ride 🙂

chrispo
    Free Member

Can’t see a singlespeed category listed on the SSUK website…

What’s actually happening at SSUK? Is it all about dogging or is there actually any riding planned? Won’t everyone be too drunk?

TiRed

all the SS,s these days are cheating b***ards with their big 29 stoopid wheels

Mine was 26″, but I did have front suspension.

I’m not a “contender” for these races (fit but no skills), so content myself with aiming for a top third finish, maybe top 10 one day. I did come third in an AYTE SS race and the metalwork is on display 8) – of course there were only three SS entrants and I had a mechanical after one lap. AFTER, being the important word there. That meant I posted a time and hence a podium position was mine, all mine! The kids never forget to remind me of this, because they rode two laps and never placed 😈

Paceman
    Free Member

Brighton BigDog has a Singlespeed Category but it’s for pairs not solo. You could either find a mate to do it with or just ride it solo anyway, it’s a great event.

http://www.brightonbigdog.com/categories/

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Summer endurance races (3-10 hours) with singlespeed category?’ is closed to new replies.