I'm planning a week in the alps next summer, thinking Morzine as I know it quite well when it's covered in snow, and it seems to be rated pretty highly more mountain biking. I've never been to the alps for mountain biking, so I'd like to ask the oracle that is the STW forum for some info.
1) Does it work in any way like a ski resort, in that you get a lift pass and the lifts link to trails and you can get around the area this way (obviously you can ride up some stuff as well I guess)?
2) Is it laid out like a big trail centre, with marked trails, or do you use maps and find your own routes?
3) If you haven't risen there before, would you be missing out on finding great routes if you didn't have Schultz of some sort?
4) What's the cheapest way to do a week over there? We've been thinking about driving and flying, camping and self catered accommodation. There'll be 3 (maybe 4) of us taking our own bikes. What are your recommendations?
5) Any other tips or things we should know or think about?
Thanks in advance guys!