Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Suicidal pheasants – anyone hit one on a bike?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

Descending a superfast singltrack road this morning a couple of pheasants flew out from the verge just missing my front wheel. A nano second later one would surely have taken me out.

Has anyone been hit by a pheasant on a bike? I know pheasants cant ride bikes but you know what I mean.

sofatester
    Free Member

No.

Though i have been hit by a Deer*

*it wasn’t riding a bike.

MentalMickey
    Free Member

Nope, but I long to hit a few and they are getting closer all the time, failing that, does anyone know any good squirrel recipes?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’ve seen Kevin Dangerous bunnyhop a squirrel. He claims to have bunnyhopped a fish too. You’d have to take that with a pinch of DEF (Dangerous Exaggeration Factor)

bullandbladder
    Free Member

No, but one scared the **** bejeeeeesus out of me the other night.

Like a feathered hand grenade going off two feet from my front wheel!

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

Haven’t hit a pheasant yet but have come close several times. They are VERY stupid birds

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

I ran over a young grouse once going down a fast fireroad. I knew I’d hit it, so stopped and found it – it was pretty dead 😆

MrGreedy

Kebabed one in my spokes – made a hell of a mess. There were feathers and bits of air-dried flesh stuck all over the place. Adittedly this was while driving up the A1 at 80mph, with 4 bikes on the roof.

Exceedingly dumb birds, just compare the amount of dead pheasants you see to something clever like a crow.

Doug
    Free Member

Never hit one on a bike but I’ve hit 5 in one go in the bus.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve taken out a squirrel only the other week.

RealMan
    Free Member

Was climbing up a road the other day, nice twisty, wooded road, very quiet. Pheasants were flying up as I came to them constantly, must have disturbed over 40. Was an interesting experience. There were a LOT of dead ones on the road though.

My dad once ran over a flock(?) of ducklings once in his car, missed the mother though.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

The Glenlivet estate is particularly well stocked with them – the quiet back roads are rigid with the feckers.

Objective hazard.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Pete, Stuart once rode over AND KILLED a fish on a river crossing. TRUE TATC

Bimbler
    Free Member

No but I take a great deal of pleasure chasing them in one particular bridleway which borders a couple of shooting fields. Fast buggers aren’t they. I win if I manage to make them take off rather than run into the fields. Hit a suicide bunny once proper made me jump.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Not on a bike but in my old XR2 when I were a wee boy racer. I was doing 90+ down a arrow strait country lane when a pheasant shot out of the hedge row and hit my motor. Apart from blowing the pheasant to pieces it ripped the the spot lights off and smashed my bumper to smithereens.

Good times… 😀

EddieFiola
    Free Member

I had one fly through my spokes once, i cut it in half and got sprayed with blood. I was on a road bike going down a hill in the dark (well dusk) I later hit some black ice and came off. Doh!!

Also ran over a squirrel but it didnt die.

Hit a black Lab once in the dark and broke both wrists and face. (mine not the dogs)

My mate had a cat go inside his wheel and out the same side but it got stuck at his brake. It snapped his oclv carbon rear triangle. Heh Heh.

TimS
    Free Member

One flew into me a couple of weeks ago. Hit me on the leg rather than the front wheel, so I think it survived unscathed.

anotherstan
    Free Member

my mate got hit on the head by a pheasant which dropped from the sky, i shit you not!
    couldn’t work out what had happened to it, but it was certainly dead when we stopped and checked.

he’ll be along soon to back my story up.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

The farmer has cut a narrow slot, with some nice corners , in the sloping maize field out back which I’m enjoying bombing down in the manner of Luke Skywalker. But it’s home to a lot of pheasant right now and they do go off like roadside bombs which makes things extra interesting. Not hit one yet. Two does lept out the hedge on today’s ride which startled me but they are so quick there is no chance of hitting them.

Mikkel
    Free Member

Not tried pheasants, but had a duck run into my wheel. amazed that the spokes didn’t take its head off.

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

hit a grass snake on my out lap & a duck on the in lap of my fast tow path ride the other week

unklebuck
    Free Member

I’ve hit and been taken off by a badger on two separate occasions. Most of my none biking friends seemed more concerned for the badger then me. 😕

nicolaisam
    Free Member

I have chased badgers through our local woods on my bike.Probably not a good idea,but its fun

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

my mate got hit on the head by a pheasant which dropped from the sky, i shit you not!
    couldn’t work out what had happened to it, but it was certainly dead when we stopped and checked.

he’ll be along soon to back my story up.

its all true , only regret not bringing it home to eat

mikertroid
    Free Member

Have indeed. Was very funny as it flew into my chest as I was going full pelt!

bassspine
    Free Member

I hit a pheasant with my right hand and brake lever as it flew up from the hedge. Dunno what it looked like at that point, I’d instinctively shut my eyes!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I was T-boned by a sheep this summer, a executed a ‘technical dismount’ in such I manner that I appeared to be riding it for about 20ft, much to the amusement of my fellow riders.

nunuboogie
    Free Member

Come very close commuting home last year scared the shit out of me!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

There was a guy on Cycle Oregon in 08 who rode into a cow. Its a road ride. How could someone not miss a cow?

woffle
    Free Member

got hit on the helmet by a low-flying partridge once.

tinribz
    Free Member

I can bring a Hartley to the party.

Couple of weeks ago on the road bike. Bump Bump, broken back. Had stop go back and dispose of to the sound of much screaming. Not the most pleasant end to a Sunday tootle.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“that I appeared to be riding it for about 20ft”

that made me smile would like to have seen that

stucol
    Free Member

Rattling down a fireroad at 35mph my mate missed a deer by a foot. That could have been well nasty.

Did clobber a rabbit recently, just going too fast to swerve and miss the beggar. 16 stone of me and 38lb of bike were not much affected. Don’t fancy trying that on the road bike though.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Suicidal pheasants – anyone hit one on a bike?’ is closed to new replies.