Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Suggestions for weekend away, somewhere steep and fun?
  • oldnpastit

I’ve been granted permission to go away for a long weekend (May bank holiday). I don’t know if I’ve earned it or deserve it but I’m taking it.

What do people suggest? Somewhere I’m going to regret not having a working dropper post? Somewhere steep and a bit slithery and gnarly gnarly gnarly with roots and drops and pine needles and sun slanting through the trees and long lung busting climbs coming out at the top of spectacular views would be good.

I live in Cambridge, so the far north of Scotland is out, but anywhere else in this country would likely be OK. Tempted by the Tweed valley, is it any good?

Thanks!

rascal
    Free Member

The Lakes. End of.

Bregante

The lakes. End of.

May bank holiday)

Good choice but the wrong time?

rascal
    Free Member

It will be busier but is there ever a bad time to go to the Lakes? 😉

MoreCashThanDash

Vegas.

Or did you mean geographically steep?

enigmas
    Free Member

Head down to the shire (Devon) perhaps?

A day of the gawton uplift to get your fill of steep, sketchy dh tracks then a day on dartmoor for the big hills and natural views?

If it’s a long weekend could add a day at tavi woodlands or stop off at triscombe on the way down 😀

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

few suggestions in the Peak District, just to mix it up a bit. With embedded videos.

Alternatively – for pine forests and gnaaaar I love Wales, me. It seems to have just about everything and rarely gets crammed with folk. IMO Mach trails 1, 2 and 3 suit all manner of what you ask, and there is the recent cli-machx.

oldnpastit

stop off at triscombe on the way down

The cream teas at Triscombe are pretty amazing, it has to be said….

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

The cream teas at Triscombe are pretty amazing, it has to be said….

I raise one Horner Tea Rooms!

daffs
    Free Member

I’m a northern boy and I love my roots and riding up here. I would be the first to say lakes, peaks borders etc but I have to give a second to gawton. Rode it a couple of years back whilst visiting my sister in Plymouth. It’s the steepest gnarliest proper downhill centre Iv ridden. Tavi woods is pretty good too.

geeco
    Free Member

From your description, the Tweed valley would certainly fit the bill. Riding at Innerleithen is super steep, rooty, amazing. You can look up previous competition routes, e.g. You can still find last year’s EWS course maps online. Local bike shops or Strava will point you in the direction of other great trails, including the downhill trails at Innerleithen.

Not sure when the May bank holiday is- worth checking whether that is the weekend EWS is on (end of May) as the valley gets busy and some things will be closed (but it is also an awesome atmosphere).

kayak23

Get ye to Shropshire around Ludlow.

You have the fantastic Hopton, Bucknell ( was riding there yesterday) and Bringewood. You also have Eastridge, Stiper stones and the Wrekin nearby.

All can be ridden on trail bikes and have fantastic sections of trail if you follow your nose. They also have official downhill tracks.

Bob on.

Trekster

http://tweedlove.com/events
    http://www.upliftscotland.com. Meet up with some locals for some “local” fun one day and uplift the other 😆
    SDA race @ Ae on 17th & 18th

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Suggestions for weekend away, somewhere steep and fun?’ is closed to new replies.