Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Suggestions for things to do/ places to visit/ eat/ drink in Madrid
  • grievoustim
    Free Member

I’m off to Madrid for a few days this week with my girlfriend. Any suggestions for things to visit/ do. Places to eat and drink much appreciated.

Think we are staying somewhere pretty central

Ta

Tim

jambalaya
    Free Member

Been ages since i was there so cant help much on restaurants. I think Real are at home in Champions League so assuming you’re not going to match avoid stadium area (which is fairly central). It’s colder there than you might expect at this time of year.

davidjones15
    Free Member

Plaza Santa Ana very touristic.
    Better area is Malasaña, C/Fuencarral and Plaza dos de Mayo, Plaza Olavide.
    Budget and taste might be a good idea too.
    http://www.guiadelocio.com/madrid/restaurantes

Mackem

The area round Plaza Santa Ana is great. Good food, drink and atmosphere. Cafe Central for quality live jazz (you have to pay). On Sunday, the Rastro and Retiro park are nice for strolling away the hours.

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/madrid/N26328.html – i’ve seen this described as one of the best bars in the world. It’s certainly very nice. The streets round there are full of excellent bars, some old and traditional some modern (eg Lamucca de Prado)

Puerta del Sol is the central, most tourist bit but has some great places – Examples. Papa bravas for the Patatas Bravas. Malaspinas for the croquettes. Casa de Abuela for the prawns.

Different areas, different atmospheres, eg Malasana district, more quirky, arty…

If it’s a long weekend visit El Escorial

Superb city

davidjones15
    Free Member

The area round Plaza Santa Ana is great

Told you it was for tourists. 😉
    C/ Cava Baja and/or C/ Cava Alta has some good Flamenco, if that’s your scene.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Take your phrase book, you feel obliged to talk Spanish, or at least give it a go. And as touristy as it sounds the open top bus trip is a great way to get about as its unlimited stops on a loop!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Suggestions for things to do/ places to visit/ eat/ drink in Madrid’ is closed to new replies.