Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Suggestions for help with road shifters?
  • mikey-simmo
    Free Member

My wife’s triple road shifter is proving troublesome. She’s not able to get the shifter to move between all there rings without resorting to using her right hand across the bars to grab the lever from the other side. We’ve has it into the shop and it’s been looked at but she still can’t get it to shift. I can make it shift, but it is heavier than my ultegra double (her’s is 105) everything’s been looked at and still nothing. Any helpful tips. I’d have posted on a roadcc forum but nobody is ever there.

antigee

bit hard as don’t know what shop have tried – would always suspect innner cable damage and or cable routing before the STI

here is what I’d try but its not a comprehensive list

you’ll need a spare (or two) cables plus the soft thingies to go on the ends and I assuming have or can get hold of decent cutters and cut and prepare an outer, maybe replacement bar tape

look at how the cable routes into the mech and try to work out if it makes sense – look for clamp position and missed routing – check shimano tech docs if need
    assuming cable routes down tube and under BB check under the BB to see if threaded thru plastic holder OK and not jamming under it (assumes not internally routed) Shift to granny and then try pulling the cable on down tube by hand and watch and feel if mech is moving freely in and out – are prone to road salt death

if all seems ok disconnect the cable and assuming under bar tape routed try holding the cable in tension while moving the STI levers and see if smooth or jamming – if feels like jamming pull the cable out of the STI (roll back the hood and change gear holding the cable in tension until you can see the nipple and then push out using cable if hard to do then thats a clue

gamble time if damage to inner cable near the STI just replace – and see if all works ok – gamble because might be a poorly fitted outer that could really do with replacing which will mean retaping

STI’s are pretty robust, I just killed an old Ultrega one by breaking the plastic around the cable entry – I’d always suspect cable routing and the front mech first

some clues here if you really want to take one apart

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=62492 pretty sure I’m not that brave

think the triple disappears now 105 gone 11speed so some run out bargain replacements around at Ribble, Merlin, CRC and I guess the usual German suspects

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Wow that’s a considerable amount of information. It’s had a new cable. New outer and I’ve checked the routing under the tape and it’s as free as I’d expect. The under bb is also clean and burr free. The mech spring Is as strong as I expect it to be. I can make the bike shift but it’s tough, she can’t really get it to go up to top ring and when it drops from top to Middle it misses and goes to granny ring.
    I’m suspecting the shifter.
    Or her small hands.
    Or both.

houndlegs
    Free Member

Check on the front mech to make sure you have the cable the correct side of the clamp. If its the wrong side you can’t get the leverage.

hopefiendboy

Did you try the shifting only (when not connected just using your other hand to provide the resistance on the gear wire)? Just to determine if the lever action / gear cable pull away from the mech is smooth?

Hope that makes sense….!

traildog
    Free Member

I think it’s least likely to be the shifter. If it’s had a new cable, and the derailleur is setup correctly then I’d probably change that. I find the cheaper front derailleurs seize up quite easily, especially if it’s been ridden in the winter. If it’s not that, then it doesn’t hurt to have a spare and they’re cheap.

I’d certainly try that before getting a shifter as the shifter is the most expensive thing to try. Try replacing cheapest first if you don’t know what the issue is.. 🙂

hooli

There was a thread on here the other day about heavy 105 shifters, maybe it is the same? Something about the under bar tape routing of the cables I think.

Seems the only fix was flooding it with GT85 while cycling through the gears, no cable attached.

Edit, just found the link:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/heavy-sticky-105-shifters

antigee

^^^that thread from 2 weeks ago is a bit worrying – generally thought 105 STI’s had a reputation for reliability – mrs antigee’s roadie has 10speed 105 (small hands no problems) and as 10speed are in the bargain bin due to going 11speed and my old 9 speed Ultrega playing up ordered a pair for the CX this week 🙁

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

I’ve ordered some short reach levers, 700 series, but Planet X can’t read and sent ultegras, which are lovely, but get us back to the same place we were before, just with less scratches and less money.
    Currently I’m trying to use an mtb front mech, and while the one I have is buggere through use it’s so much easier to shift with than the road one she had before. Do the mtb mechs use less tension in the springS?

antigee

mrs antigee has a 10 speed 105 triple set up on her road bike and I run old ultrega triple with an XT front on my cx – not noticed any difference i how much effort require to move the mech when servicing

with the time of year I’d suspect road salt damage to the front mech as a cause of any stiffness – does seem to kill them (said from the comfort of a road salt free australian sunny winter’s day)

just picked a spare up here pretty cheap http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/derailleurs-front-shimano-105-black-5703-10-speed-triple-front-derailleur/shimgrfr775

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Suggestions for help with road shifters?’ is closed to new replies.