Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Sugar Water for Cycling
  • forexpipz
    Free Member

I’ve been experimenting sugared water.

I’ve been putting in 30 grams per 500ml of water and going for two hours at 200 watts.

It feels ok. Towards the end I’m tired but I think I need 45 grams per hour.

Some minor studies have shown sugar to be equally as effective as more exotic stuff and I’ve seen plenty of touring cyclists do this.

What are peoples opinions. It obviously cheap and I like the taste. Yeah it gets sticky round the bottle but I don’t care about that.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Do they not sell Vimto near you?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Do you have no stored energy?

forexpipz
    Free Member

I’ll be cycling for 12 hours a day so I need serious answers please.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ah information that would be useful in the op. Cycling non stop? Where are you getting salts from?
    Best thing I can suggest is reading feedzonecookbook.com portables it has a great explain section with absorbing rates etc. Also lots of great recipes and hints

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ll be cycling for 12 hours a day so I need serious answers please.

Eat real food.

Energy drinks are most worthwhile when you’re working hard enough that your body doesn’t have the energy to digest food.

piesoup
    Free Member

If you’re that serious about it, get yourself a copy of Feedzone Portables. It’s not just recipes, but a huge amount of info about your digestive system.
    There probably isn’t anything worse that pure sugar! Your body has very specific requirements for digesting food. Mess that up over 12 hours and you’re gonna need a lot of big roll.

forexpipz
    Free Member

Its for LEJOG.

I’ll be eating real food with zero supplements. Except the morning black coffee.

I’m trying the go as cheaply as possible and keep it as natural as possible also.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I like apple juice, 50/50 with tap water. I have sachets of rehydration salts to add if needed.

scotroutes

This is for a LEJOG? You’re over-thinking it. Plenty of shops en route, even if you’re wild camping. Just eat some pies. Mike Hall famously crossed the US dining in McDonald’s every day 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’m trying the go as cheaply as possible and keep it as natural as possible also.

Have a look at portables then. Will educate and help. Also sky team chef of Twitter but yes massive over thinking.

forexpipz
    Free Member

I’m not over thinking it. I was curious about sugar water that is all.

I’ll be buying food en route. I was really looking for an alternative to honey which is great whilst cycling.

But I’m trying to restrict expenditure so I can buy more bikes to fund this addiction thing.

piesoup
    Free Member

Mikesmith beat me to it! After following feedzone’s advice, I’m a lot happier on the bike.

fifeandy
    Free Member

In theory you should be able to absorb ~60g of carbs per hour.
    In practice, over such a long day (especially if repeated days) you’ll want to get most of your calories from ‘proper’ food.

I’m a huge fan of energy drink, as I struggle to take on enough solids at times (IBD) and it allows me to do rides I wouldn’t manage without, but even I typically favour at least trying to take on some food while intensity is low.

bruneep

Are you a bee?

nedrapier

preseason training at the rugby club years ago, we had an aussie coach from a local gym helping out with a few things
    [aussie accent]”Water, cordial, little bit of sugar, little bit of salt – Guess what? Isostar.”[/aussie accent]

20 years later, it’s still “Guess what, eyes-oh-star”

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If I was to pick one thing though it would be a recovery drink. For when your too buggered to cook think or do anything else. Just works for then and let’s you function properly after that

thomthumb
    Free Member

Eat real food.

this +1

I’m a fan of energy drinks for hard paced riding. but for long days in the saddle they are a top up only and tbh i often prefer food and water.

I’ve been using myprotein tricarb (unflavoured) for some time. its sweet but not overly so, has electrolytes and cheap compared to energy drinks, more expensive than sugar though.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Sugar Water for Cycling’ is closed to new replies.