Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Suffering from psoriasis,:-( whats the best base layer for riding?
  • postierich
    Free Member

Finally got to see a doc and I have been disagnosed with guttate psoriasis(not pretty)determined to ride as much as possible but in comfort.Obviously I have to smear lots of cream on so I am not to sure which is going to be the most comfortable any other psoriasis suffers out there.

Gets ready to fit a big bell to my bike 😕

DaRC_L

Yes but mine's not uncomfortable (patches on knees, legs & elbows) just not pretty.

I have Dovobet from the Quack plus use Simple Cream. A quack friend says the main thing is to moisturize lots on top of the steroid cream (I'll assume here that your Doc hasn't advised against this).

postierich
    Free Member

Got creams by the bucket loads, steriod and moisturizing its a pain for me and the other half @ least its only on my trunk and upper arms. Sun is what i need roll on the Spring!

nedrapier

You could try silk? natural's got to be good, right? And it feels so smooooth; silky, even.

cheap here, too, might get myself a couple more!

retro83
    Free Member

Can you not get light treatment in your area? My dad suffers badly with this and it fixed him up a treat, as well as giving him a Dale Wintonesque glow. 🙂

mike_check
    Free Member

In the same boat but find the GPs don't always know best, moisturising wasn't my problem and following that had no benefit to me. At one point it was real bad, had UVB therapy which cleared it, steroid cream led to it becoming worse again. Dermatologist took one look, told me GP had me on the wrong thing, gave me something called Exorex lotion which is coal tar based and its been working wonders. It's available over the counter and you can also get polytar bath formula etc, this is what I used as a kid and it stayed clear for years, now it seems to be doing the same.

The Exorex is good as well because it just slaps on all over, very quick n easy compared to Dovobet etc, dries quick n not greasy also.

Just have to be careful in summer not to use it in the morning or increased photo-sensitivity will lead to burning, once I got that routine sussed it's been fine.

postierich
    Free Member

Mmmm cheers for the replies been prescribed dovobet and some Hydrocortisone cream as well as some cetraben for an all over smear doc did say not to put one of them on my neck and face but true me fashion I have forgot and ideas peeps?

Not to sure about wearing silk for biking!

timdrayton
    Free Member

Have you found out what triggers a flare up? Allergies can play a part. If you font get on with dovonex my gp put me on dithro cream which is like an industrial version, it's hardcore, u have to put it on with gloves then time it and take it off with baby oil after an hour, but it does the job!

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

Guttate psoriasis often needs uv therapy as so widespread. I usually refer mine urgently to derm

thomthumb
    Free Member

aloe vera – orally may be benificial.

my mate who has sevre psoriasis has had loads of uv therapy unsuccessfully. cutting down/out (not sure) dairy has had a huge effect.

postierich
    Free Member

Dr Nick will go with the creams for now, booked into see him in 4 weeks then might ask for the Dickinson look if its not clearing.

Taff
    Free Member

My dad uses E45 as the paraffin helps out. He wear a long sleeve dhb top and never has any problems. I'll quiz him next time I speak with him

NZCol

Friend of mine used silk base layers which worked well, and cut our dairy as per other posts. Seems to have fixed itself but he still swears by the silk layers. We get them from Earth Sea Sky – brillant.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Try Patagonia Capilene (from The Mountain Factor).

It wicks well unlike Merino, which holds the damp!

amaan
    Free Member

Anyone tried Omega 3 oils?

The theory being the oils moisturise from inside out.

I have plaque psoriasis, on my knees right shin and elbows, at the moment I'm not doing/using anything but quite a few people have advised me to take omega3 oils, from Flax seed or cod liver in liquid form, 5ml to be taken twice a day.

postierich
    Free Member

Filling my body full of oils and drinking loads of water the psoriasis seems to be clearing but feeling like shite from the Pencillin V

LabWormy

The trouble with being a flaker is that everyone seems to be slightly different, and after generating lots of dust for over 30 years, it also changes through your life.

No fabric seem to upset my skin, but very occasionally a detergeant will. Sometimes diet, stress and sunshine affect me sometimes they don't. It is a pig to pin down.

The last time a read up on reseach they would seem to be blaming (at least) three different gene defects, so in a few years it may be diagnosed as three+ different types, with auto-immune issues also thrown in the mix.

The best advice is to be ready to change tactics – some summers sun and sea water clear mine up, some years they make it worse.

Not much help I'm afraid. But this site always cheers me up.

postierich
    Free Member

Must change my user name to the flakeypostie!

postierich
    Free Member

Thankfully only had this bout, fingers crossed it will not be back!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Suffering from psoriasis,:-( whats the best base layer for riding?’ is closed to new replies.