Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Such a thing as a high volume mud (reasonablish) mud tyre…?
  • Poopscoop

Sorry guys, throw myself at your mercy here.

Need something to take the sting out of an alloy HT over the Winter.

Not the bikes fault so much as my back issues (without going into gruesome detail)

Feel free to rip me to shreds as long as a few helpful comments are made too. Possibly. 🙂

Don’t care about weight, tubed or tubeless…. and Im a mincer so just want to be able to pedal and stay upright. Mostly anyway. Oh, its going on a 26er to add even more cliche to the thread. 🙂

Frame is a Primal, so pretty good mud clearance.

I start the bidding at a Swampthing? Used Mud X’s in the past on a fs but they are pretty narrow… which is why they work well of course. Hence my (high volume) quandary.

Thanks for info guys (oh, and the ripping to shreds to come…)

Good God, Im going to say this too….. its for use on the North Downs and….. STW.

God have mercy on my soul.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What sort of mud? Deep slop? Claggy shite? The better the mud ability the worse they get on hard stuff in general. All round prefer something like a minion does most things well.

Poopscoop

Hiya,

Pretty normal mush for down here so clay mixed in with chalk. Bike stand up straight without assistance mud… at its worst anyway.

Well, ok. Mainly clay to be honest. So a mixture of glue with teflon. To my riding abilities anyway! 🙂

Not tried a Minion tbh. Sorry for noobness, are they front/ rear or best on either/ or?

Thanks for help!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Both but not a mud tyre just an all rounder, there are nee things like the shorty and Mary that might be better for all out mud.

jam-bo

Swamp thing comes in 2.5 but only in DH spec I think.

Poopscoop

mikewsmith

Hmmm… to be honest, a good alrounder is fine by me, heck, just to complicate things further to get to the trails I like usually involves a good 8 mileish (round trip) road ride. That said, I really dont see rolling resistance as a bad thing for me. I see it as a short cut to fitness in my 40’s! As long as I dont get totally gravel rashed on a roundabout or such at reasonable speeds and braking.

Poopscoop

jam bo – Member

Swamp thing comes in 2.5 but only in DH spec I think.

Cheers for info mate.

slackalice
    Free Member

Specialized Storm Control? Comes in 2.0, maybe wider too and looks like a highish volume tyre. EDIT: Seemingly they do a dh version at 2.3…

Maxis Beaver 2.25?

Jeez, I’m full of idea’s this morning 😀

frogstomp

Maxxis Shorty? Good on the front, not sure how well it would work on the rear..

scottfitz
    Free Member

Maxxis Shorty

Clobber
    Free Member

dirt wizard

stevede
    Free Member

Shorty front, minion dhr2 rear for me.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Shorty 2.3 on the front for me too. Brilliant tyre, clears really well, and coped well with mud, leaves, wet loam, roots and rocks on an off-piste trail ride in FoD on Sunday. Felt fine on some of the drier harder bits of trail too.

philjunior
    Free Member

Swamp thing is what I was going to recommend – not sure what casings you can get in what widths/compounds these days though.

Rio

Bontrager XR mud 2.0 copes well with a clay/chalk mix and also behaves ok and is reasonably long-lasting on the road. I’m about to try some Geax Gato Mud’s in 2.2, dirt cheap from On-One but look as though they might be a bit draggy. Not much point going too big in a mud tyre though as one of the attributes you want is to cut through the mud rather than slither about on top.

Northwind

Conti Baron is like a swampthing only good. Genuinely better at everything, except sidewall toughness.

Maxxis Shorty is sort of similiar. So are all the other, less good tyres of its ilk like the muddy mary

Buuuuut it depends waht you’re doing with it. Slogging round fields sort of thing? Flatland or muddy steeps? Specialized’s butcher is great as a rear wet conditions tyre, for going downwards, it’s not a mud tyre but it grips well, slides superbly… But, it’s not that brilliant for pedalling through slop.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Cheap and cheerful tubeless ready – GEAX Datura

My current choice – Magic Mary (admittedly it’s a 2.5″ special made for Liteville, so much larger volume than standard)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Such a thing as a high volume mud (reasonablish) mud tyre…?’ is closed to new replies.