Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Subsidised E-bikes on the way?
  • martinhutch

Could be interesting for the numbers of ebikes out and about on roads, and possibly trails.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/oct/20/uk-may-consider-electric-vehicle-subsidy-to-increase-cycling

Not sure why human-powered bikes shouldn’t get some kind of incentive as well.

bails

It’ll be in return for mandatory hi-viz and helmets or something daft like that.

I’d happily get something like that orbea that was announced recently and use it as a commuter if it was (heavily) subsidised. Electric assist means I could do it every day and not touch the car during the week.

martinhutch

It does sound like an interesting plan – but the main obstacle to increased participation in cycling is probably road conditions and driver behaviour IMO.

taxi25
    Free Member

If it’s restricted to E-bikes used for commuting cargo ect it sounds great. But if E-mtb’s came into the picture it would just become an excuse for another n+1 toy. Not sure the tax payer should be subsidising that.

cchris2lou

In France you get 200 euros for an electric bike.

jam-bo

If it’s restricted to E-bikes used for commuting cargo ect it sounds great. But if E-mtb’s came into the picture it would just become an excuse for another n+1 toy. Not sure the tax payer should be subsidising that.

What if you have an off-road commute?

vincienup
    Free Member

Agree that subsidised bikes suitable for daily use sounds like a good thing, agree that subsidised e-mtb n+1 toys sounds like something we would come to regret as it’ll only become a rallying point of resentment and agree that without cycle friendly infrastructure and/or a step change in how bikes on the road are seen by other motorised transport it’s unlikely to get many more people riding bikes.

siwhite
    Free Member

I think it would be a positive move – I am considering an electric assist commuter for my 36 mile round trip commute. I’m quite capable of doing it a few days a week, but an e-bike would enable it every day and cut my commute time to a more realistic level.

Segregated bike lanes would make a massive difference – imagine if every large development was forced to contribute x% of their costs to local infrastructure?

taxi25
    Free Member

I’d imagine that the number of people who’s only option for commuting “has” to include proper off road is tiny, so its not really an issue is it.

vincienup
    Free Member

I would have, a hardtail or cx would be ideal. A FS e-mtb would be unnecessary for most commuters I think, just as a regular FS bike would be. I moved and changed jobs last year, I’m now at least an hours ride from Work and do 12 hour shifts. I’d be fine with riding the distance with a regular 8 hour day, but my change in circumstances has more or less killed cycle commute for me after many years. I would like to change this, but like my job and location. I’m planning to start training again this autumn/winter and maybe I’ll be back to the commute by spring. I do miss the regular morning ride, I’m a much nicer person to be around if I haven’t driven to work!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Segregated bike lanes would make a massive difference – imagine if every large development was forced to contribute x% of their costs to local infrastructure?

They already do, it’s called s106. It can be rubbish though, developers end up negotiating their way out of it or councilors channel the funds into whatever their pet project is.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Agree with some of the above – I’d say the barrier to more people cycle commuting isn’t the effort involved, it’s the treatment of people on bikes by people in cars.

In fact – I think we need to stop referring to “cyclists” and “drivers” (and “pedestrians”), as that just perpetuates the idea that we’re somehow different species. I wonder if we just talked about people on bikes, in cars, or on foot, it would be a gentle reminder that we’re all just people?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Subsidised E-bikes on the way?’ is closed to new replies.