Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Subaru Legacy Estate 2.5
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Any one ?

How does a 2.5 get such good mpg ? When I say good it is for a 2.5 !

as a car whats it like ?

Cheers

jambalaya
    Free Member

Great cars, very capable, bit plasticy inside – had a look at Legacy/Forester but bought an A6 TDI, mainly due to interior. Would consider again if/when replacing A6

What do you mean by great mileage, my impression is the milage wasn’t that great, have you checked VED charge

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

£250 a year

alaric

What age?

I bought a new Outback 2l Diesel (basically the same as the Legacy) in January. One of the main reasons I went for diesel was the mpg.

2.5 is 33.6mpg combined – not too spectacular compared to the competition. The diesel gives 44.1, again not too spectacular, but above my requirement for 40+ mpg.

The car been awesome, though. Spacious, comfortable and very reliable. Subaru service has also been excellent and the handling was very good in the snow at the beginning of the year. Bear in mind that I live on a farm at the bottom of a farm track….

I’ve done over 10,000 miles so far, including a run to The Alps and Scotland.

Go for it!

winston
    Free Member

Do you mean that the 2.5 produced for a few years from 05 to 09 has better mpg on paper than the 2.0 or obviously the 3.0

If so then I think you will be disappointed by the reality

23-27 at best

Great cars crap mpg though

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Do you mean that the 2.5 produced for a few years from 05 to 09 has better mpg on paper than the 2.0 or obviously the 3.0

Yes !

Pigface
    Free Member

Flat fours and permanent 4×4 = poor fuel economy but great cars if you can get by that.

hora
    Free Member

Amazing stable cars. Far better than Audis.

One thing to note- The exhausts rot at the join about a metre back from the manifold. Mine was immaculate but failed its MOT on this. Get under the car and check.

WillH

We had the 2006 2.0 Legacy estate for a couple of years. Great fun to drive, permanent AWD meant it was great on gravel, snow or ice, but fuel economy wasn’t too flash. We sold it in the end as it was a bit under-powered (not noticeable with driver or driver +1, but very noticeable when loaded up with kit & bikes on the back). Also, ground clearance was bobbins unladen and got worse when full. Those two issues aside, it was a lovely car.

I’d go for an Outback estate instead, with a bigger engine than the 2.0.

Edit: test-drive the Legacy 2.5 with a few mates in the back, see how it performs under load… and double-check the ground clearance!

alaric

Mine certainly doesn’t feel underpowered – even with four of us + bikes and gear for Easter in Scotland (from home in Kent), so plenty of opportunity to test!

slackalice
    Free Member

Excellent! Thanks for the info for those that missed my earlier request 😀

It’s looking more like a diesel outback for me too

TheFopster
    Free Member

Great cars to drive…

marmottefarcie
    Free Member

With respect to Subaru diesels, Google their tendency to destroy flywheels/clutches.
    I encouraged my father to buy a diesel Forester after my brilliant experience with an early impreza turbo.
    He managed 25000 miles from new before the flywheel/ clutch disintegrated 2 months after warranty finished. 3500 pounds later it’s going again. Subaru washed their hands of any responsibility.
    Looking online its a common failing.

cp

It’s a common thing with all modern diesels, far from unique to Subaru.

EDIT – all those ‘additional potential costs’ I talk about when people are thinking about a modern diesel motor vs. petrol… this is one of them.

jambalaya
    Free Member

It’s a common thing with all modern diesels, far from unique to Subaru.

100,000 miles on my A6 – no such problem – it is an auto – is this a problem with manuals

I cannot believe a problem like this is common on the Subi’s on the basis that it would crush their market share / reputation – farmers love the cars and they wouldn’t tolerate it

PhilP
    Free Member

Yeah I have got a 2002 outback 2.5 auto. I echo Winston. mpg is shite, cracking car though.

cp

Jambalaya – hmmm, its not like it affects every diesel car out there! The nature of what is being done with components in particularly diesel engines, but is also coming in to more and more petrol.engines leads to more likelyhood of failures. Don’t think your immune in the Audi – a mate has a vag diesel car that made a right mess of its transmission a few years ago and then lunched its turbo this year, and he’s far from a hard driver.

Anyway, were going ot now. I was just pointing out that many failures like the flywheel above are not unique to particular manufacturers. They come about by pushing new technology (mainly to meet emissions legislation and consumer demand for good mpg figures) into a mass produced market. I.would hazard a guess that the company that provides dual mass flywheels to Subaru also supply the same general design to several other manufacturers.

maccruiskeen

it would crush their market share / reputation

it takes decades for a manufacturer to loose a good reputation.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Subaru Legacy Estate 2.5’ is closed to new replies.