Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Sub £1000 Winter road bike options
  • bennyboy1
    Free Member

I’d like to get my first ever roadbike to whittle away the Winter miles this year. Budget will be a maximum of £1000 but ideally in the £850 bracket with which I imagine to get a semi decent alu frame, 2015 11 speed 105 etc. I’ll also put some mudguards on it.

I’m looking at the following based on supporting my local shops and the deals that they can offer but anything else I should consider? I would look at Planet X but have ruled them out on the basis of poor customer service various mates of mine have experienced. Specialized and Trek seem to be poor value for money so I’m avoiding them even though I imagine the frames would be fairly nice.

– 2015 Cannondale CAAD8 105 – local shop will do this for £850
    – 2015 Giant Defy 1 – 22 speed 105 – £810
    – 2015 Merida Ride 400 – £900
    – 2015 Cube Peloton SL – £900 (22 speed 105 with Ultegra f&r mech, Mavic Aksium S wheels)
    – 2015 Cube Peloton Race – £810 (22 speed 105, Fulcrum 77 wheels)

Anything else anyone has ridden and can recommend? I’ll be getting some test rides sorted but keen to hear any other recommendations in advance.

My heart says the Cannondale CAAD8 105 because I love the Sagan-esque lime green frame but that’s probably what the marketing people wanted! 🙂 The Cube Peloton SL seems to be the best specc’d bike for the money and in terms of asthetics the Giant the least favourite of those listed.

MoreCashThanDash

I got one of last years Defy 1 in the sales. Incredibly comfy for an alloy frame. The Defy specific mudguards are still a squeeze on a medium frame, not much tyre clearance.

I’d be looking to see what Ribble or Dolan can put together for that money which will take 25mm tyres especially Ribbles steel frame.

Alternatively, a disc equipped CX bike lime my Arkrose. Been great with slick tyres on.

Or for really left field, you might get a budget spec Spa steel audax from Spa Cycles. Lots of happy owners on the audax circuit, although all secretly lusting after the Ti version.

theflatboy
    Free Member

As I’ve said in another thread on this recently, my Dolan Prefission with 105, alu frame and carbon fork was well under £1,000. Very happy with it so far, excellent bike.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/o7gueu]Dolan Preffisio – the finished bike.[/url] by theflatboy, on Flickr

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

out of your list, the Caad8 or the Defy. However if youre after winter-specific I too would be looking at disc-equipped CG/gravel/crossover bikes, with clearance for big tyres, and proper guard mounts.

Check out any of the recent “which CX?” threads. I ended up buying one of these this summer

2013 Saracen Hack 2, reduced from £1100 to £650. The 2014 model is now reduced at the mo in various places. A CX bike marketed as an urban hack and fitted with fat slicks.

Should you end up seriously looking at a Saracen, they come up small. Mine is allegedly a “56” despite the fact it measures (and a frame sticker agrees) 54cm.

Philby

The CAAD8 and Defy have different geometries – the CAAD8 has a more aggressive geometry and the Defy a more relaxed one.

Have you looked at 2014 bikes on sale – there’s still some bargains to be had out there which will make your cash go further?

chakaping
    Free Member

The Defy stands out from that list for me, assuming the mudguards work as advertised.

It has great handling, relaxed like Philby says but not at all lazy.

mboy
    Free Member

If it’s a proper winter road bike you want, as opposed to just a good spec alu road bike, then things like 11spd and light wheels really shouldn’t be high up the list of priorities.

Clearance for full guards (as opposed to clip ons or race blades) with up to 28c tyres is important. As is good, assured stopping power. I’d take Tiagra or Sora over anything 11spd on a winter bike just because the replacement chains and cassettes are so much cheaper. There’s nothing wrong with 10, or even 9 spd anyway! Disc brakes are also a fantastic addition for winter. Avid BB5’s and other simple cable discs can work fairly well even if they’re a bit of a pain to set up, but high end cable brakes like the TRP Spyres and hybrid cable/hydro setups like the TRP hy-rd are a revelation!

I’m running a Whyte Dorset at the moment as a winter road bike, it’s almost a kilo heavier than many other £1k alu road bikes, but it’s a perfect winter bike. The extra weight is more than made up for in other areas IMO.

ribena
    Free Member

I have a Kinesis TK3 (54cm) frame in the classifieds if you’re interested, could easily be built up for < 1k. Takes full ‘guards (and rack). have some wheels too. Great bike, but i’ve stopped racing now. There’s a review here http://roadcyclinguk.com/gear/kinesis-racelight-tk3-review.html open to offers before it gets listed as an auction on ebay

TiRed

Of your choices, I’d go for the Defy.

CAAD8 is a great bike, less relaxing to ride, won’t easily take proper mudguards, wheels are awful. Merida has Giant TCR (i.e. race) geometry. Defy is a little more relaxed and the alloy bike is do it all – fit Defy mudguards and ride all winter. Take them off and race it in the Spring. Cubes will be nice too, but I think you can’t beat the value of Giant.

Note we have a CAAD8, two Giant Defys (highest and lowest in the range) and an Avail. So I’m a bit of a fanboi. I raced my Defy in an E123 road race on Sunday whilst I lent my Propel to a clubmate. It wasn’t the bike holding me back 😉

EDIT: OF course the 2014 CAAD8 105 had the nicest paintjob of almost any bike at the price – I can forgive the shonky wheels. Just look at it!

turbo1397
    Free Member

This isn’t on your list at all and not be anywhere near what your thinking, but I’ve got a pinnacle dolomite 3, full new spec sora (only 9 speed though) takes guards, panniers and 32mm tyres. It’s a large and I’ll take £300 posted..

freeagent
    Free Member

I have a 2014 Giant Defy 1 – brilliant frame and the 2015 Defy 1 looks like even better VFM

project
    Free Member

Boardman or CRC own brand of bike, or a second hand one.

thats what im looking at.

jacob46
    Free Member

Discs for winter bike! ive had my whyte suffolk for 2 weeks now and it awesome and British and can handle 32mm tyres with mudguards (when they get them in stock due 14th)

so much more confidence on my 19 mile round trip commute knowing i can apply the brakes and not worry. yes and they do work 100 times better than caliper brakes.

i know the suffolk is out of your range but £1199 its an awesome bike, full 105.

try its youger brother: http://whyte.bike/gb/models/commuterroad/rd-7-road-disc/dorset/

TiRed

Boardman or CRC own brand of bike

Boardman are nice bikes but they are really Meridas. That “Yellow Jersey” inspired geometry was really straight from the Giant TCR. They are, however, nice bikes and we had one (stolen and replaced by the CAAD8). But they are nothing unique, despite what CB might have you think. The carbon bikes are a lot nicer.

mike_p
    Free Member

I have a Defy size M with 25c tyres and Defy-specific mud-guards. Tight fit, but it works!

Winstanleys have last year’s Defy 0 for £840. The 11spd Ultegra is superb

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Get yourself a proper road bike like a Cannondale or a Giant if you want to cover miles quickly and efficiently. Don’t bother with 32mm tyres, disc brakes and rack/mudguard mounts; not necessary.

taxi25
    Free Member

If its a proper winter bike that’ll take full guards The Kinesis t2 is a bit cheaper than the tk3, which I’d be buying of ribena if his was my size :(. Loads of proper quick boys swear by the t2 for winter riding. Great deal below.

http://www.freeborn.co.uk/kinesis-racelight-t2-bike?gclid=CjwKEAiAj-KiBRC48YzhnLSg0D0SJAClOhK364Of6hiXOviiyV4eMfYad0LLFgHCX3pwabqoViTa2RoCC4Xw_wcB

cheers_drive

Should be able to build up a Kinesis T2 with Tiagra or even 105 for that budget. 28c with full guards is the way to go.
    Edit. Beaten to it

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Ribble winter job with 9 speed sora with a pair of Mavics of some sort. Cheap as chips to maintain. Chains are peanuts, cassettes are peanuts and chainrings are peanuts.

martymac

I have a 2013 peloton pro, it doesnt take guards.
    Ive ridden my mates caad8, it will take guards with 23s.
    105 levers are a much nicer shape than tiagra imo.
    I wouldn’t worry about 11 speed either tbh, 10 is fine, so is nine.
    Thats my 2p.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Finally getting a road bike Ben?!

Get yourself a proper road bike if you want to cover miles quickly and efficiently. Don’t bother with 32mm tyres, disc brakes and rack/mudguard mounts; not necessary.

I’d mainly agree with this. Why restrict riding a road bike to just one season? Something that’ll take clip-on guards, and clearance for maybe 28mm tyres if you feel you need them for winter, would be fine. Get some swiss stop brake blocks and all’s good. FWIW I ride the same road bike all year round.

edit: agree with this too:

105 levers are a much nicer shape than tiagra imo.

bm0p700f
    Free Member

Tifosi CK7 is under £1000 well spec (no disc brakes though) and take full length guards. Most of the bikes mentioned so far will only take clip on guards and that limits the tyre width you can run.

jacob46
    Free Member

It’s winter, it rains more, they have put disc brakes on road bikes for a reason. It’s safer and they work much better!! No argument!

If your after a bike for winter then forget calipers, yes they work but not straight away if it’s raining hard. I commute every day and know the difference on using both brakes.

sputnik
    Free Member

Bennyboy is this your first road bike?

bennyboy1
    Free Member

Sputnik – yeah, even though I’ve been riding mountainbikes since 1993 this will be my first foray into the road bike world!

Cheers everyone else for the replies, plenty to consider there and some really useful points raised. I think that even though my main intention for the bike will be Winter miles it’ll also end up being used for focussed training towards xc racing into next year. I raced the Southern xc’s this year for the first time (finished 5th overall in my category – yay me!) and a roadbike seems like a great additional tool to use for xc race training sessions.

jacob46
    Free Member

In that case then Ide buy a whyte then at least you know you put on what ever tyre you want too with out buying new rims. My Suffolk came with 28’s as standard but I have 25’s on it at the moment. But the rims will also accept 32’s so cx racing won’t be a problem. Good luck.

TiRed

Nah. Buy a proper road bike, light, stiff fast. Commuted on the CAAD8 with Ksyrium Elite wheels and Tiagra 10 speed today. It is a fantastic bike, and a little more “go-faster” feel than my Defy. So much stiffer than my normal steel fixed wheel (and a little lighter). A fat-tyred CX wannabe would be like choosing an MPV over a sports car, and this is your first road bike. DT speaks the truth thusly..

Don’t bother with 32mm tyres, disc brakes and rack/mudguard mounts; not necessary.

Although mine has Raceblade Longs for the wet ride home tonight.

chakaping
    Free Member

I agree with them – sold my disc CX bike ‘cos it was heavy and dull compared to a real road bike.

Calipers with good brake pads (that bit is vital) are perfectly adequate in any weather I’d consider going out on a bike in.

Good to see you back DT!

sputnik
    Free Member

In that case go for the Cannondale. Fit SKS Raceblade longs and you will be fine.
    When I started road riding it was also to cross train in winter for the XC races. Was looking to buy a winter bike but got lucky and found a full Dura Ace equiped race bike second hand that was in my budget. That was a blessing, after winter the road bug bit and I started to ride on the road bike all year long mixed with riding my MTB.
    Fast forward 8 years and I now own 2 road bikes and a cross bike for winter duties.
    Sacrifice the stock wheels of the Cannondale for winter duties and get some Ultegra wheels (bit over £200 and fantastic) in the spring . Come next winter you rest the Ultegras and stick the stock wheels back on.
    Have fun and enjoy your new bike.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’d mainly agree with this. Why restrict riding a road bike to just one season? Something that’ll take clip-on guards, and clearance for maybe 28mm tyres if you feel you need them for winter, would be fine. Get some swiss stop brake blocks and all’s good. FWIW I ride the same road bike all year round.

I agree, but its horses for courses. I like my ‘road’ bike but have comeround to the idea that it has its limitations after commuting on my tourer (32c and proper guards with flaps) a few times. Its a whole different ride in terms of grip,cushioning, and comfort. Some days I just dont want beating up with 23c tyres on a commute/training ride, just get from a2b and spend an hour on a bike, being 0.5mph slower isnt a problem, just need to be that much fitter for a gicen clubrun on Sunday.

A winter bike would work just as well in summer, it just wont be as sporty in the way it handles and accelerates. My next one will probably be a kaffenback or similar with r685 and 5800.I’d mainly agree with this. Why restrict riding a road bike to just one season? Something that’ll take clip-on guards, and clearance for maybe 28mm tyres if you feel you need them for winter, would be fine. Get some swiss stop brake blocks and all’s good. FWIW I ride the same road bike all year round.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’d go for the Giant Defy- while I’ve not owned one I used to work in shops that sold them and they were the winter bike of choice for staff and they ride wonderfully for the price. The frames are excellent- light, very comfortable and high quality. As a bonus they are excellent value and the cheapest on your list.

I am about to get a disc braked road bike with big tyres but this will be for commuting on country roads regardless of weather and with some off road. I’d not be bothering if I was getting a road bike for fun- a proper road bike is, funnily enough, better for proper road riding. Mudguards will make a difference regardless of what you go for.

lunge

I understand what people say about loosing speed with a heavy bike but, realistically, how much do you think you are loosing?

My summer bike is a light, very stiff alu frame, aero wheels and 25mm tyres. It always feels fast, I love to ride it and based on Strava times it is faster than my winter bike…but not by much.

My winter bike is a PX Kaffenback. The position is the same as the summer bike but it has 28mm tyres, guards, disk brakes, a frame pump and a frame made of heavy steel. It feels slower and it is…by an average of under 1mph over a 40 mile ride. Factor in that I generally take the winter bike when conditions are bad (slow) and the summer bike when they are good (quick) and you’ll see the difference is negligible.

ahwiles
    Free Member

lunge – Member

Factor in that I generally take the winter bike when conditions are bad…

not to mention, there’s a reasonable chance you’ll be wearing a jacket while you’re riding the winter bike, with all the associated extra drag.

hooli

If it were me, I would either buy a 2nd hand, slightly tatty bike to use a as a true winter bike or I would buy a decent road bike for use all year round. If you fit clip on mudguards and keep on top of cleaning after salty winter rides and it shouldn’t fall to pieces from winter use.

evillittlegoat
    Free Member

I collected my first ever road bike last night, its a 2015 Defy 1. I’ll report back after my first spin this afternoon. I have no road bike frame of reference so my opinion will be useless. Its pissing down here at the moment and Im scared the pathetic little tyres are going to spit me off!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Good to see you back DT!

Thanks, it’s great to be back. Now the weather’s gone to shit, it’s more fun chatting about bikes than riding them anyway!

In that case then Ide buy a whyte then at least you know you put on what ever tyre you want too with out buying new rims. My Suffolk came with 28’s as standard but I have 25’s on it at the moment. But the rims will also accept 32’s so cx racing won’t be a problem. Good luck.

I think most road rims will accept 32mm tyres.

Don’t bother with some sort of all-rounder. Honestly. I’ve done it before in years gone by. It probably wasnt any slower than a proper road bike, but it felt slower and it wasn’t as much fun to ride either.

Raceblade longs are good if you’ve no mounts. I’ve recently got some PDW fenders, again can be used without specific mounts and give full coverage. Very sturdy, sturdier than my old SKS Chromoplastics.

Get that Giant or the Cannondale, both of which will be good bikes. Make sure you get 11 speed aswell, no reason not to. 11 speed 105 stuff is cheap as chips to replace anyway.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Also, the Giant and the cannondale are both a bit cheaper so you’ll have some spare cash to buy different lenght stems and saddles so you cna get your position just right.

velocipede
    Free Member

mmmmm, what about a secondhand Enigma Ethos – top flight custom steel with mudguard eyes!….I’m selling mine!!

;o)

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pNmkcV]Untitled[/url] by velocipede65, on Flickr

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Sub £1000 Winter road bike options’ is closed to new replies.