Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 163 total)
  • Suarez ban
  • shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Bigger ban than I thought he might get, given that no one else apart from Evra heard the alleged comments – 8 games. Wonder how many John Terry will get?

mikey74
    Free Member

That verdict is one of the biggest jokes I have ever seen in football. Even Evra said in his statement that he doesn’t think Suarez is rascist. Plus, he admitted in his statement to abusing Suarez, in Spanish, using strong Spanish insults. Where is his ban?

scaredypants

no one else apart from Evra heard the alleged comments

😯
    blimey, somebody’ll sue the arse off the FA if that’s true

mikey74
    Free Member

There is no evidence whatsoever that Suarez used rascist language. Only Evra’s word against his.

I fully expect LFC to take this higher if the ban isn’t overturned.

nomakoman
    Free Member

HAHAHA all the information coming out is from the Liverpool camp yet again….independent inquiry using countless camera angles etc….hilarious watching all the liverpool fans implode!

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

The verdict will certainly add to the conspiracy Kenny Dalglish feels the club are up against 😆

mikey74
    Free Member

So which do you find funnier: rascism or injustice?

timc
    Free Member

nomakoman – Member
    independent inquiry using countless camera angles etc….

Which showed / proved?

If it was a legal proceeding, it wouldn’t even make the court room

bloodynora
    Free Member

If I got done for that at work I’d be sacked. He’s an employee of a company same as everyone else so no other option as far as I’m concerned….Pending an appeal though which I imagine LFC will do

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Well I don’t believe that there is a refereeing conspiracy against the club, as Dalglish claims. I suspect he’s trying to creat a little of the seige mentality regularly employed by Fergie. As I said in my first post the length of the ban seems harsh for the insult which no one else heard – however, as far as I’m aware Suarez did admit to using the term ‘negrito’ toward Evra but claimed, in his country, it’s not an insult.

mikey74
    Free Member

And Evra admitted to abusing Suarez: where is his ban?

Garry_Lager

A wise and just decision.

I am sure Suarez, being a fair-minded individual, will accept the ban with good grace and treat it as a learning experience.

turtleheading
    Free Member

Punish the man, not the club.
    Hefty fines, in the millions would do the trick, or community service or something 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

“The independent regulatory commission announced its decision on 20 December 2011, which is as follows:

“Mr Suárez used insulting words towards Mr Evra during the match contrary to FA Rule E3(1);

“the insulting words used by Mr Suárez included a reference to Mr Evra’s colour within the meaning of Rule E3(2);

“Mr Suárez shall be warned as to his future conduct, be suspended for eight matches covering all first-team competitive matches and fined the sum of £40,000;

he admitted using it his defence was calling him negro was not racist.
    That the problem with words often hard to judge the intent – It would seem reasonable he did it to wind him up I guess we can debate whether he meant it as racist but I doubt it was friendly in nature

It seems incredible to us that a player of mixed heritage should be accused and found guilty in the way he has based on the evidence presented. We do not recognise the way in which Luis Suárez has been characterised.

“It appears to us that the FA were determined to bring charges against Luis Suárez, even before interviewing him at the beginning of November. Nothing we have heard in the course of the hearing has changed our view that Luis Suárez is innocent of the charges brought against him and we will provide Luis with whatever support he now needs to clear his name.

“We would also like to know when the FA intend to charge Patrice Evra with making abusive remarks to an opponent after he admitted himself in his evidence to insulting Luis Suárez in Spanish in the most objectionable of terms. Luis, to his credit, actually told the FA he had not heard the insult.”

kenny has taken it well though

mashiehood
    Free Member

John Terry will probably get off with a 1 game suspension in a friendly in the summer and a fiver fine!

dyls

Absolutely ridiculous if its one word against the other without any other proof. Awaits the full FA report.

Junkyard
    Free Member

he admitted it so there is no debate about whether he said it. It i snot one persons v another.
    It is a fact it occurred the debate is whether it is racist
    EDIT: Re- reading it maybee he did not admit it so we will need to wait for the full report I think they used video evidence as well

higgo
    Free Member

Garry_Lager

That statement from LFC is stunning tbf. Reads like something drafted in 2 minutes for posting on a message board. Crying about charging Evra whilst failing to comprehend the gravity of finding a player guilty of racially abusing a fellow pro.

Junkyard
    Free Member

might invite binners and Don Simon to join me at the Kop fanzine website 😛

avdave2

There seems to be some confusion amongst people as to what he is being punished for and the people with the least comprehension of it seem to be Liverpool football club.

His defenders are all saying that he is not a racist but that is irrelevant as he has not been charged with being a racist. He has been charged with using language which in the country he used it in and in the context he used it is considered to be racist. The defence that this would be fine in another country is no defence at all and neither is ignorance of the law.
    I think the club have acted very unwisely in this as they know that he said something which is not acceptable in this country and yet they have defended him. They should have stood by him but told him to plead guilty and to make a public apology and he could have gone on to explain how what he said would not have been seen in the same way in his own country.

oldgrump08
    Free Member

Part of the problem seems to stem from using language acceptable elsewhere but not acceptable in the UK. Doubt if Suarez was using it as a term of endearment anyway……..

Garry_Lager

here seems to be some confusion amongst people as to what he is being punished for and the people with the least comprehension of it seem to be Liverpool football club.

His defenders are all saying that he is not a racist but that is irrelevant as he has not been charged with being a racist. He has been charged with using language which in the country he used it in and in the context he used it is considered to be racist. The defence that this would be fine in another country is no defence at all and neither is ignorance of the law.
    I think the club have acted very unwisely in this as they know that he said something which is not acceptable in this country and yet they have defended him. They should have stood by him but told him to plead guilty and to make a public apology and he could have gone on to explain how what he said would not have been seen in the same way in his own country. Very true that dave2. A brave, unqualified apology would have defused things, especially when weighed against language / cultural differences. You can’t expect that level of insight, though, from a club with a chip on its shoulder the size of a small planet. Luis has (sadly) being in receipt of bad advice.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

To be honest, if he’d just called Evra one of the biggest SeeYouNextTuesdays to ever lace up a pair of boots, he’d have been more accurate. As it is, an unqualified apology would have defused the situation. Bad advice. Those revelling in the punishment appear to be more delighted about the club he played for and the club who Evra, massive cock that he is plays for. Dangerous road to be going down.

oldgrump08
    Free Member

Not revelling but a ban seems justified. Whether Evra is a cock depends on who you support. Appears you don’t particularly like Manchester United so your opinion ain’t exactly unbiased either.

voodoo_chile

The terry case has gone a bit quiet hasnt it! If he is out it will really wreck the reds hope of 4 th or 5th place …funny if you do a 2 footer on someone and break someones leg it gets 2 match ban or some other bollox which also sets the scene on the amateur scene for a couple of months with players emulating the challenge but something is said warrants a ban of that long ……fa out of touch

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oh come on, even Utd fans think he’s a massive cock. And they’re right.

I’ve given a completely honest opinion. Suarez should have apologised. Unequivocally. It’s been badly handled. I’m not calling Evra a cock because he plays for ManU. I’m calling him one because he is. A massive one.

Junkyard
    Free Member

his hatred could only be made worse if Clarkson was the manager 😛

oldgrump08
    Free Member

dd – again, in your opinion. Many footballers are annoying cretins in my opinion. Doesn’t make me right though.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

See what happened there JY?

Merely insulting a Utd player (even though Evra, massive cock that he is, is an easy target) quickly turns it into a ManU vs Liverpool thing. You even let yourself get drawn into it.

Our concern about a player getting a ban for using racist language should transcend the club he plays for and the club that the target of his language plays for. That is my point.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Oh dear.

He deserves a ban, and I’m a Liverpool fayn. As to the length of the ban, well, that’s for the FA to decide, and they have. There is a possibility he’ll have it reduced on appeal, but fact is he said something that’s unacceptable in this country and culture, so he has to learn and accept his punishment. He’s lucky it’s not for a lot longer.

If, as reports suggest, he’s admitted to using the term ‘negrito’, then fair play for being honest, I spose. From hanging around with a number of Spanish and Colombian people, I understand it’s not an ‘offensive’ term in those cultures, as it would be in ours, but this is England, not Spain or south America. And all who live here must respect our culture and our Laws.

I’m saddened by this. I like Suarez, and there’s no doubt he’s one of the best players in England, if not the World. A darn sight better than Torres, that’s just a simple fact.

But he’s said something that’s completely unacceptable in the country in which he lives and works. I wonder how this will go down with his Black team-mates like Glen Johnson, Raheem Sterling and Andre Wisdom?

What’s important now, is how the situation is dealt with, and how he can now make amends. He needs to work very hard indeed to redeem himself.

Liverpool FC do not have any noticeable history of racism; indeed, they were signing black players when their quite little neighbours were actively not. This is the first I’ve ever heard of any such thing at thie club, and I hope it’ll be the least.

As for the incident; Suarez was pwning Evra left right and centre. There was clearly ‘banter’ going on between the two. Evra was clearly giving as good as he got. Of course he does not in any way deserve to be racially abused, and if you take the cultural aspect into context, it’s more likely Suarez was just being patronising and winding Evra up, than being deliberately ‘racist’. And if Evra does not in any way consider Suarez racist, why make the complaint? Seems that Patrice is rather quick to accuse people of being racist; perhaps he was still smarting after getting nowhere with his allegations against England’s Brave John Terry. And Evra will know himself, that racism is far more prevalent within the game in his own country of France…

It’s a nasty situation this. Of course, the Scum will be delighted, but let’s not forget that these are the same fayns and club who supported the thug Roy Keane, who deliberately injured other players, and who called Mick McCarthy an ‘English SeeYouNextTuesday’; what a lovely individual he was. 🙄

Suarez needs to accept he made a massive mistake, and do his best to make amends.

Interesting to note that Evra’s team-mate, Javier Hernandez, has himself used the exact same term to refer to a black team mate:

”Chicharito” Hernández, destaca el gol anotado ayer por otro joven como Omar Esparza, en la victoria ante Tigres: ” Me gustó mucho el gol del Negrito (Omar Esparza), creo que es una muestra de que los jóvenes de Chivas, estamos listos para responder en juegos importantes como los de Liguilla. Por mi parte seguiré trabajando con humildad para ganarme una oportunidad.

I wonder what Patrice has to say about that?

donsimon
    Free Member

I think the ban is too long, a couple of games maybe, but 8!!!??!! Setting an example rather than in proportion to the crime.
    In his defence, as pointed out above, negrito would be the accepted Spanish and affectionate name to talk about a black player. Negro being Spanish for black.

oldgrump08
    Free Member

Aaah, he was being affectionate……..

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I give up.

Nighty night.

oldgrump08
    Free Member

Come on keep up.

Now who’s being a (condescending) cock?

Junkyard
    Free Member

I wonder what Patrice has to say about that?

probably that words mean different things depending on who says it and culture as you yourself note – he would probably agree with you Elf.
    It seems unlikely that Suarez was saying it as an affectionate nickname for someone he held in high regard? so we are left to conclude he use dit as what then ? an insult or to get a rise I suspect the later but it was out of order. i dont think Suarez is a racist but I do think he was using race to get a reaction and he should not have done so.

He could have apologized said he got it wrong wont repeat it etc and he has learnt..very misguided by LFC who are clearly not racist.

Evra is a bit annoying DD but so are many football players tbh.

donsimon
    Free Member

Yes. How’s your Spanish? As you know a common Spanish name is Juan, now young or little Juan would be known as Juanito, as already stated and if you look at the rest of Chicharito’s complementary quote you’d understand.

oldgrump08
    Free Member

Yes. How’s your Spanish? As you know a common Spanish name is Juan, now young or little Juan would be known as Juanito, as already stated and if you look at the rest of Chicharito’s complementary quote you’d understand.

I was being sarcastic – don’t think Evra or Suarexz were being affectionate to each other during that match.

My Portuguese is better than my Spanish, but yes I know ‘-ito’ is a term of endearment added to any name.

donsimon
    Free Member

My apologies oldgrump08, can’t think what led me to believe you were being a grump.

body language, it must have been the body language, I’m crap with that sort of thing…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Evra is a bit annoying DD but so are many football players tbh.

He’s a massive cock. And you know it sweetie. 🙂 How’s it been being a WUM on the Liverpool fan boards? I tell you, I’ve never seen ManU fans be as gripey and whingey as they have this season. Time for Alex to do an everybody-hates-us thing again.

‘Ere grumpy, relax will ya. Or go to bed like you promised.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 163 total)

The topic ‘Suarez ban’ is closed to new replies.