• This topic has 47 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by chip.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Stwers who have short arms and long pockets.
  • chip
    Free Member

After living my whole life mismanaging my finances with wanton abandon, I have decided to become a miserly skinflint tightwad who leaves no penny unpiched.

Is there joy or gratification to be had from living a life dedicated to saving money no matter how small an amount.

What tips on tight waddery do you have.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I prefer wanton abandon….

RobHilton
    Free Member

Tee-total, vegan, yogi, eco-warrior is the way forward.

Alcohol, meat, gyms & cars cost plenty $$

perchypanther
    Free Member

Get a vasectomy before it’s too late.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Never abandon a wonton, though.

maccruiskeen

theres an early bird discount?

binners

Yeah, but forget the gym, chuck in coke and hookers and you get to die young, up to your eyeballs in debt, in a flaming, drug-fuelled, cardiac-collapsing fireball of your on making, leaving the Tee-total, vegan, yogi, eco-warriors to pick up the tab 😀

IHN

Save money on expensive binoculars my simply standing closer to the object you wish to view

cogglepin

Never buy a calendar in case you don’t live the year out.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Ordinary size Mars Bars make ideal King Size Mars Bars for dwarfs.

Rockape63
    Free Member

What tips on tight waddery do you have.

There have been times when I’ve been seriously short of cash and I used to get quite moist when picking up a bargain. In fact bargain hunting can be quite addictive and now even if I am feeling flush, its nice to trawl the web and save a few quid!

aracer
    Free Member

Don’t take tips from anybody with a P before their name

matt_outandabout

Do not have children.
    Do not run two cars.

Jamie
    Free Member

Meat is not that expensive.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Consider carefully where you buy your ethical Trews from.

whitestone
    Free Member

Have you moved to Yorkshire? 😛

perchypanther
    Free Member

Ordinary size Mars Bars make ideal Fun Size Mars Bars for giants.

kayak23

Save money on expensive shopping by concealing it under your trench coat.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Fun Size Mars Bars make ideal ordinary size Mars Bars for dwarfs.

jekkyl

save money on itunes by simply humming or singing the song you want to hear. To switch tracks simply sing a different song.
    Oh yeah and don’t have kids.

tthew

It helps to have a goal in mind, i.e. deposit for a house, kids going to university, funds for a one off

drug-fuelled, cardiac-collapsing fireball of your on making,

rather than just being a tight arse for the sake of it.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Amputate your childrens feet and fit them with adult size prosthetics.

This will stop the little blighters growing out of expensive trainers every six weeks.

newrobdob
    Free Member

Before buying any thing or service have a good long hard think about whether you need it or actually just want it.

Saves a huge amount of money if you are honest about it.

cogglepin

Drill a 1″ hole in your fridge your to make sure the light isn’t on.

skink2020

Don’t get involved involved in watch collecting(unless a divorce is your goal, in which case, go for it).

jekkyl

SAVE petrol by pushing your car to your destination. Invariably passers-by will think you’ve broken down and help

lunge

Pay for everything in cash, it feels much more real handing over notes and coins than it does on a card. Take a lump sum out each Monday and only spend that if want to do it properly.
    Wait 3 days to purchase anything. If you want it still, buy it, but you’ll often find the desire is gone after that time.
    Deactivate Paypal Onetouch and Amazon one click buy, it can help remove some of the impulse buying.
    Write all your day to day purchases down and assess at the end of the week. Note how much it is, swear, change habit.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Become a contractor, and get a good accountant..

perchypanther
    Free Member

Those little Mars Bars out of a box of Celebrations make ideal Fun size Mars Bars for dwarfs.

shermer75
    Free Member

One word: Lidl (and Aldi)

tjagain

If you don’t smoke, eat and drink to excess and party all night you don’t actually live longer. It just feels like it.

Serious tips. don’t buy consumer goods unless forced and they buy second hand. Don’t have a car. Don’t buy packaged processed food. Cook from scratch. Accept meat as an occasional treat not something to have every day. Buy last years electronics goods secondhand. Buy last years must have MTB parts second hand

Reduce, reuse, recycle

chip
    Free Member

Suprised some very good tips in there among the mars bar suggestions, 😀

Impulse buying is defiantly a problem for me. As are online bargains, buying things I don’t need just because they are at a reduced price.

Just bought three pairs of hiking shoes and I don’t even ramble never mind hike,
    Earlier in the year I bought a very expensive bushcraft knife, I have no idea why. All things I don’t need.

Yet today I have to pay £500 for a new exhaust on my old car, which I do need yet I seriously begrudge.

BaronVonP7
    Free Member

Perspective and context.

Seeing as you’ve previously spaffed your wad in wild abandon, how about just reducing your splurges to a manageable level and then enjoy the rosy glow that comes with your new “prudent” management?

“Only one bottle of vino a night for me, donchaknow.”

thomthumb
    Free Member

Yet today I have to pay £500 for a new exhaust on my old car, which I do need yet I seriously begrudge

that sounds like a lot. I’d get at least another quote. custom stainless can be cheaper than OEM parts.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Instead of wasting time browsing the Internet for “bargains”, spend it productively by thinking up uses for different sizes of Mars bars

chip
    Free Member

Quick fit fitting an entire exhaust sourced from all parts on an old Nissan terrano,
    It’s in being done now.

jimdubleyou

Save money on expensive vibrators by simply filling a used cigar case with angry wasps.

SaxonRider

perchypanther – Member

Jeez. My kids, as I have told them many times, are my retirement plan. A vasectomy would have meant I’d have had to invest in a pension!

pk13

The not buying something and waiting 3 days is very good. As is sticking everything you want in your Amazon basket then not buying anything till the end of the week amazing how much stuff you don’t buy.
    No fags or beer for me I can’t believe how much 20 coffin nails are when my friends buy them 😯

P-Jay
    Free Member

For me.

Get a spending app, record EVERYTHING you spend money on for a month – the results will probably be quite eye opening, a trip to Whistlers worth of money on coffees from CostaBucks a year is usually the one.

Once you’ve done that you can usually cut a few hundred a month on random meaningless shit if you want.

After that it’s the bills, check your statements for subscription stuff you don’t use, music, TV, gyms etc – if you don’t use them, cancel them.

Shop around for untilites etc, most people pay too much.

I’d bet if you’ve got a devil may care attitude to spending you can do the above and save a decent amount every month with no meaningful chances in lifestyle, just a bit of graft.

After that stuff gets a bit harder.

Transport – do you own, lease or are you buying your car on HP? Do you really need it, if not, do you really want it for what it’s costing you? If you’re in a PCP or HP deal for a car you don’t really need or want anymore, can you get out of it? Is it worth more than you’d need to pay to get out? If not can you VT and walk away from it?

If you need a car, are you wasting money using it? Are you in that hell queue everyday commuting? You know the one that fills lane 3 when everyone sits on the arse of the car in front accelerating up to 80, braking down to 60 continuoually as it ebbs and flows – I used to do that everyday, nowadays if I’m only going a few junctions or if it’s busy like the above I’m happy to do 56 behind a lorry, it’s much less stressful and in real terms it doesn’t take any longer – maybe 3-5 minutes in a 45 min drive, uses almost half the fuel.

Accommodation – rent or mortgage? Do you have more than you need? Spare room full of junk? Paying twice as much to live closer to somewhere you don’t go (I do that, it’s stupid but Mrs won’t budge) can you move somewhere cheaper?

Finally, if its worse than a simple bit of overspending and you’re in real trouble, speak to someone like money advice line sometimes it’s worse than you can accept and the most drastic measures have to be taken. They’re rarely as bad as you think it’ll be and doesn’t last as long as fear.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Stwers who have short arms and long pockets.’ is closed to new replies.