• This topic has 8 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by ski.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • STW wood burners – how much wood do you get through a year?
  • ski
    Free Member

Sorry for yet another wood question..

I am in the middle of building a simple wood store for a future wood stove that I am fitting soon to my property.

I was planning to store a years worth of seasoned wood next to my property and all the rest would be kept at my allotment.

Just wondering how much sq meters of seasoned wood do you get through a year & how much space all together (roughly) does your total wood store take up?

Trying to work out if I have enough space down the side of my property – Ta

mattsccm
    Free Member

At a rough guess about 3/4 of a 6 by 8 green house.

supertramp
    Free Member

I just tend to get it as I go along so i have no idea. It depends on the size of your stove and the type of wood you use.

Stoner
    Free Member

really does depend on how much I use it for air heat, or even in the boiler.
    But I usually go through around 4 cubic metres a year. I could use more and save money on fuel.

By luck, last night was chatting with a mate in the pub who does firewood and found that he never sells the piles of willow he gets from pollarding it on his farm as buyers dont want spitting wood, so Ive made him an offer for the lot of it as corded wood. Bargin, less than half the normal price per cubic that he’d normally charge (£40 per cube, versus £85). Im quite happy burning willow – its a fast massing wood fuel, and in the furnace or woodburner, spitting isnt an issue. It also seasons very quickly.

sambob
    Free Member

Probably roughly 3 cubic metres a year, but don’t use it after April normally or efore September.

Trimix
    Free Member

About one pick-up truck of cut logs. Used just to heat the front room. Not used in the day and we are out most weekends, so its evening use.

WEJ

About 6-7 tonnes (before seasoning) a year. Stove going all day from now until spring and most evenings through the summer. Doesn’t heat water, but living room door always open, so heats half the house.

Mikeypies
    Free Member

I guess about 2m but we only have a tiny 3 kw srove and its only gone on the last few mights and only in the evenings

ski
    Free Member

Thanks for the info looks like I might get away with a years worth next. To my home

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘STW wood burners – how much wood do you get through a year?’ is closed to new replies.