Viewing 29 posts - 81 through 109 (of 109 total)
  • STW Scotland ride – follow up to Stuartie C cairngorm thread
  • jimmy

btw i'm free this week with Tuesday looking particularly good to ride if anyone's keen. GT black is on my list but if the weather improves something mo' natural would be good.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Here you go McM:

Andrew & Gail Staddon
    Kinlochewe Hotel
    Kinlochewe
    by Achnasheen
    Wester Ross IV22 2PA

Tel 01445 760253

Email info@kinlochewehotel.co.uk

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Thanks, I'll give them a call tomorrow. I'll see if some of the KDY Massive are up for it and we can share a car.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

i'll be heading up this weekend.

do we have a definite list of who is/isn't coming?
    trying to book accom at the hostel

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Good stuff Oli.

I've just booked myself into the bunkhouse and they only have 2 spaces left for Saturday night so get in there quick guys (Friday night has more spaces available).

McMoonter – if you're heading up for both days, how about sharing a car from The Kingdom? Email me if you want to do this.

Cheers,

SC

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I got the last two places in the bunkhouse on Saturday night. Sheera's got tickets for the Ballet, so is thinking about driving up himself. Suartie, yes that sounds a good call car pooling. We can take the mothership, loads of room and fuel efficient. I stay in the middle of nowhere, where are you in Dunfermline?

jojoA1
    Free Member

What's the Ben Damh route? Is it along the side of Loch Damh, up strath a Bhathaich and round the back of Ben Damh back to Torridon? If so, have you ridden it before? It looks a steep push/carry up to Loch na Suileig…

IE, which will be the 'funnest' day? Cos I'm bagsying that one 😉

druidh
    Free Member

I'll be in Scone….

kennyp
    Free Member

Anyone else ever stayed at Gerry's Bunkhouse in Achnashellach? It's rather good/interesting

"Interesting" is probably the best description.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

That's the route I've got in mind Jojo, but I'll fess up and say I've not ridden it before. Others have recommended it though and I've walked up the last descent down to Loch Torridon Hotel and thought it looks pretty tasty. It's quite a short route though, and there may be some carrying up past the loch. Bit experimental really…

The other option is the circuit of Liathach, but I've been warned off that one as the middle section will apparently make you want to sell your bikes and watch shite TV for the rest of your life.

There's a couple of other options I'll post up in the next day or so, but they'll be exploratory (for me, anyway).

If all goes to plan, Saturday's route is the big one with the best riding. Another option might be to have two different circuits in the Coulin Forest if the weather and motivation are favourable?

stuartie_c
    Free Member

I'll be in Scone….

Tricky getting to Torridon from there Druidh. Riding?

radoggair
    Free Member

well i'll def be doing the saturday riding there, and most likely sunday.

Just thinking, whats everyone doing for transport and from what area they leaving from??

do we have a definite list of who is/isn't coming?

Not definite but looks around 7 of us, possibly more if the massive joins us (whomever they are)

stuartie_c
    Free Member

So far:

SC, McMoonter and another from The Kingdom

Jojo, HairyScary and kids from Moray

Radoggair and Bigdugsbaws from The West?

Simply-oli-y from … not sure…

Possibly Jimmy and MsJimmy from Edinburgh?

Have I missed anyone?

jojoA1
    Free Member

The other option is the circuit of Liathach, but I've been warned off that one as the middle section will apparently make you want to sell your bikes and watch shite TV for the rest of your life.

Been there, done that. Matt did it carrying two bikes (not one of mine!) My 13 yr old had a fair old bash at pushing/carrying in the pishing doon rain (nailing lots of the rocky descent to Glen Torridon). Matt went frothy (with not properly rinsed shorts, not rage!).

Anyone considering that route in anything but perfect weather, my advice would be to push up the good bit (the last bit) and ride back down.

I think Gerry at the bunkhouse is getting on for needing the services of my work team… (old age psychiatry).

stuartie_c
    Free Member

I think Gerry at the bunkhouse is getting on for needing the services of my work team… (old age psychiatry).

Jesus! Is he still there? I remember staying there on a Glasgow yooni mountaineering club trip in 1988 and he was old then. Mad as a badger too.

jojoA1
    Free Member

I think it's the 'self medication' that both preserves and disturbs…
    Either that or the midges.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

from edinburgh too!

radoggair
    Free Member

Bigdugsbaws = no no. Think he's giving it a miss. Work ill unfit toofar…………………. pick one

jojoA1
    Free Member

radoggair – Member
    Bigdugsbaws = no no. Think he's giving it a miss. Work ill unfit toofar…………………. pick one

Jey as….?

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

No jeyness here, just ongoing chest infection 😥

jojoA1
    Free Member

Only girls get chest infections 😉

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

In that case I'm staying home to wash my hair this weekend.

jojoA1
    Free Member

Now that I believe 😉

radoggair
    Free Member

In that case I'm staying home to wash my hair this weekend

You did that last weekend, plus what hair??

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Just had a call from Kinlochewe Hotel to say they've had a cancellation for Saturday so some beds are available if anyone else wants to opt in at the last minute.

Currently 4 beds free on Friday night and 6 free on Saturday.

Contact details a few posts back up the thread.

Ewan
    Free Member

Incidentally, if you're riding Torridon. Make sure you do this descent (going north on the map):

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=191922&Y=852152&A=Y&Z=115

Despite what the map says, it's all hardpack or slick rock. Properly properly good descent.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Weather is looking ok for Sat and Sun (though lots of rain today and tomorrow which will make things a bit damp :?)

On a different note, why am I so shite at packing for weekends? I do it all the time FFS!

McM – I'll find my way to your house after skool tomorrow, probably 4:30 ish. Haven't been organised enough to do any shopping so might need a Tesco/Fish&Chips stop in Aviemore.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Sounds good to me, I'm worse at organising myself.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I'll gie it a miss. Sounds brilliant, but I haven't ridden much this summer at all, and I held you all up enough at Glen Clova!.

All the best folks, have a good weekend, Greg.

Viewing 29 posts - 81 through 109 (of 109 total)

The topic ‘STW Scotland ride – follow up to Stuartie C cairngorm thread’ is closed to new replies.