Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 110 total)
  • STW Roadies – where do you put all your 'stuff'?
  • eyerideit
    Free Member

As a serial overpacking it’s hard to know what to leave behind.

When you’re out on the road, what do you take and where do you keep it in your back pockets/ bumbag/Saddle bag?

Today I took my small camelbak (1.5l bladder) with a spare tube, allen keys, chain splitter, windproof mid layer, pump, patches, tyre levers x 2, money/wallet, phone and couple of gels.

Is this too much stuff?

cynic-al
    Free Member

pockets, pump and bottles and even tools/tubes in bag or on frame.

rOcKeTdOg

pump on bottle cage, tube and tyre levers in v small saddle pack, phone and cash in back pocket with a gillet depending on weather

mrmo
    Free Member

ditch the camel bak, use bottles, the rest goes in jersey pockets. or if you must in a small seat pack.

fluxhutchinson
    Free Member

I refer you to rule #29

The Rules

faz083
    Free Member

The Rules

….

but seriously. That’s too much!

lunge

Tube, multi tool, patches and tyre levers in a saddle bag.
    Bottles on the frame.
    Pump, phone and anything else in jersey pockets. Easy.

_tom_
    Free Member

I don’t take anything out with me on the road bike.

TheSwede
    Free Member

Two tubes, co2 pump with spare bottle, levers and power link all in one bottle, drink in the other and jells in jersey pockets.

druidh
    Free Member

_tom_ – Member
    I don’t take anything out with me on the road bike.

What happens if you get a puncture?

dyls

Spare tube taped under seat – multitool, micropump, tube patch, tyre patch, chainlink, CO2, phone, gel into back pockets, bottle for drinking.

shortcut

Same for road and MTB. Although different tubes.

Tools, keys and bits in a Lezyne bag.

waterproof or gilet (yellow bag).

Wallet, phone and an energy bar.

3 pockets sorted!!

jota180
    Free Member

tube, 2 x levers, multi-tool, puncture kit, co2 – in a bag in middle pocket
    Phone in small zipped pocket
    Windproof and leg warmers in right hand pocket
    Pump, 2 x gels, arm warmers in left pocket

_tom_
    Free Member

What happens if you get a puncture?

Walk home I suppose. I’ve never got one on the road. I do actually have my phone in my pocket so I guess I could get a lift.

crikey
    Free Member

A cut off bottle on the bike with a mini pump, 2 tubes, 3,4,5 mm allen keys and a CO2 inflator.

Card, cash, phone, gel in pockets.

Leaves room for one bottle on the frame, good for 60 miles or so.

For 80 to 100 miles, tube, CO2 and pump go in one pocket to free up a bottle space on the frame.

Learn to dress well; if it’s going to rain and you’ll be out in it for 2 hours take a waterproof, out for less, get wet.

crikey
    Free Member

You don’t need a purse!

Ccard and a tenner…

druidh
    Free Member

_tom_ – Member
    > What happens if you get a puncture?
    Walk home I suppose. I’ve never got one on the road. I do actually have my phone in my pocket so I guess I could get a lift.

You don’t go very far then?

Bazz

2 tubes, 2 CO2 canisters, tyre leavers, pre-glued patches, multi tool and a chain link all in saddle bag (stuff the rules!). 2 bottles in cages on the frame with a combined mini pump/CO2 inflator behind one of them.

Phone, keys, cash and gels/bars/flap jacks etc. in my pockets.

LardLover
    Free Member

Rules are there for a reason!

2 500ml bottles on the bike, everything else in ya back pockets
    (2 tubes, levers, multi tool, 2 CO2 cartridges, lightweight jacket/gilet, phone and cash for tea and cake at the cafe stop)

chvck
    Free Member

I use a smallish saddle bag with pump, smallish multitool (has tyre levers & chain splitter built into it), tube, repair kit, bit of change and phone in.

druidh
    Free Member

I hate having loads of stuff in my pockets.

Pump, CO2 and bottles go on frame.
    Tyre levers, multi-tool, spare tube, patches and a link go in a wee saddle bag.
    Gels/bars/phone/ID in a “fuel bag” on the top tube.
    Any spare clothing can live in a back pocket.

For longer trips, I take a bigger saddle bag and maybe an extra layer of clothing.

mboy
    Free Member

Where do I put my stuff?

As high as possible in my shorts, I have a good rummage before I get on the bike, and nice and central too. Otherwise I find that in the roadie tuck position, it can be all too easy to crush one, and that’s not nice!

That is what you meant right? 😉

crankbreaker

Rule 51 is my favourite!

coopersport1
    Free Member

Leaves room for one bottle on the frame, good for 60 miles or so

😯 are you a camel?
    60 miles takes me about 3 1/4hrs on a good day, if I tried it on 1 bottle I probably wouldn’t make it! I’d go through 2 750ml bottles in that time and still be dehydrated when I get home

AntLockyer
    Free Member

Spare tub under the saddle, co2 in my left pocket, mini tool and phone in my middle pocket, food/pills in the right.

1 bottle for anything up to 2 hours. 2 bottles for the rest.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Up to 60 miles:

1 750ml bottle,

1 jersey pocket with jelly babies in
    one with phone and house key
    and the other pocket with tube multi tool, tube and puncture repair kit containing a split link.

Money in sock
    pump on bike.

On longer rides add another bottle, another tube and some flapjack.

mintimperial

Someone clearly forgot to tell David Millar and his buddies from Team Sky about The Rules (Warning: image contains scenes of gratuitous baggage attached to very fast professional racing bicycles, pretentious roadies of a sensitive nature are advised not to click).

I have a small saddlebag for a spare tube, patches and a multitool and a pump clipped to the frame on my road bike, I carry keys and phone in my pockets, I don’t like tons of junk wobbling about, it’s annoying. Weirdly though I’ll happily footle about carrying a Camelbak with several spare kitchen sinks in it on the mountain bikes. Hmm.

winterfold
    Free Member

The post was addressed to ‘roadies’ therefore anyone answering other than ‘jersey pockets’ should not have replied.

Saddlebags – give me strength…

tube or tub under the saddle is the only permitted deviation from ‘pockets’.

eyerideit
    Free Member

mboy – Member
    Where do I put my stuff?

As high as possible in my shorts, I have a good rummage before I get on the bike, and nice and central too. Otherwise I find that in the roadie tuck position, it can be all too easy to crush one, and that’s not nice!

That is what you meant right?

Well that would have been where do I put my junk, but a very good answer all the same 😀

DuggieStyle
    Free Member

Shortcut, wtf do you need an AA membership card when you are out on your bike????

clubber
    Free Member

pump on frame

multitool, spare tube, patch kit anf food for longer rides in side jersey pockets. mobile in waterproof bag thing and windproof if necessary in middle pocket.

carbon337
    Free Member

leyene bag as in pic above with:

1 tube
    1 co2 + head
    1 tyre lever
    1 tiny tiny multi tool
    1 £10 note

1 500ml bottle on bike – most cafes will refil with some water if you ask nicely – always a newsagent to buy a bottle if needed.

Rarely a jacket or gilet – check forecasts first

Leyne bag and phone in jersey – no no no to saddle bags!

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Rarely a jacket or gilet – check forecasts first

Same here.

Edric64
    Free Member

All in jersey pockets .Key on cord round neck ,spare tub under seat if on tub rims

Taff
    Free Member

2 bottles in cages, pump on cage. Saddle bag: tube, levers, keys. Back pockets: gels & mobile

While there are roadies here… What does it mean when the road in front is flapping his hand? Looks a bit like his wafting his arse?

Edric64
    Free Member

Pointing out hazzards for those behind him to avoid

clubber
    Free Member

he’s farted 😉

could be one of many things but I’d guess “obstacle in road ahead” from your description.

carbon337
    Free Member

probably gravel on road or an area of rough stuff

A point down is a pot hole or man cover

Flick of elbow – take your turn on the front

Spin of the finger – like a whinchman on a helicopter would do normally means get the chaingang working.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Keys at home somewhere near the dog. 1 tyre lever, 1 tube, mini pump on frame. Start barely warm and then take windproof off and stuff in pocket. Paper money. As I therefore have all I need I don’t need to suck my thumb/carry security blanket/phone. 1 or two bottles and munchies in pockets.

mr_stru

Someone clearly forgot to tell David Millar and his buddies from Team Sky about The Rules (Warning: image contains scenes of gratuitous baggage attached to very fast professional racing bicycles, pretentious roadies of a sensitive nature are advised not to click).

Ah well, what can you expect of people who go to foreign parts with nice weather to train rather than go out in the rain and tell themselves they’re just like Jens Voigt/Sean Kelly/Eddy Merckx[0] 🙂

And for the record, CO2, tube and multi-tool in seatpack, phone, money, food, extra layers in pockets.

[0] Delete as appropriate to age

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 110 total)

The topic ‘STW Roadies – where do you put all your 'stuff'?’ is closed to new replies.