• This topic has 32 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Bez.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • STW Poll: Which is the best and best looking of these two cars…
  • Swalsey
    Free Member

I really want one, will save for one when I have bought a house, but can’t decide which to lust after! All in your opinion of course, but which would you choose and which is the best looking to you?

Lotus Elise S2 (111S/R or Honda) or the Vauxhall VX220 (2.2 NA or Turbo)

Swalsey
    Free Member

Dammit wrong forum! Please move!

mtbfix

I prefer the VX220s. Plus you hardly ever see them. Elises are, relatively, ten a penny.

anto164
    Free Member

I agree, elise’s are common, but they’re really nice looking.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Elise from the back, VX from the side/rear

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Elises are much much better looking.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Elise is way nicer, the other looks like its trying too hard.

Swalsey
    Free Member

There is also the dilemma of whether to have a lighter Elise, or a faster (in a straight line) VX220 with some more mod cons… I think I lean to the VX220

BoardinBob

Lotus by a mile

VX is the better car though

DickBarton

Lotus on looks but I suspect the VX is going to be cheaper to run (servicing) and probably more mod cons. Either one would do but I’d probably also want the most powerful engine…if you are going to buy something like that, don’t go for the one for Miss Daisy.

I really like the Elise though…

Swalsey
    Free Member

Agree on the Miss Daisy – and it seems that a VX Turbo with 245hp is very realistic… not much will keep up with that! I’d have to compare NA to turbo charged petrol before I bought one!

King-ocelot
    Free Member

The Elise, it’s got a real baby exotic feeling about it. I will one day buy an elise but a series one. Both cracking looking cars though, but the elise just edges it for me on the daydream factor. I hope you realise your dream and enjoy whatever you buy.

donsimon
    Free Member

the Lotus is waaaaaaaaay better looking.

CountZero

The VX had more features for day-to-day driving, but a bugger to get into. There was one on a trade fair display a few years ago so I thought I’d give it a try. There’s a very boxy sill you have to get over before dropping down into the seat, which is pretty awkward. I guess you get used to it. I like the lines of the VX, and they were built by Lotus on a parallel production line, so s’up to you really.

Swalsey
    Free Member

catflees:

will one day buy an elise but a series one

Thank you 🙂 Why do you prefer the series 1 out of interest? The lighter weight, or K-series?

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Elise looks better. VX is the thinking man’s Elise though. And definitely the Turbo over the N.A…

Swalsey
    Free Member

Has anybody driven a petrol turbo? How do they compare to turbo diesels?

toys19
    Free Member

the vx 220 is built on the elise chassis so I wonder if there is much difference in ride/handling..

Prefer the elise though.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Mate had the VXR 220 that was a seriously bonkers car!!! He was a bit shocked whilst watching top gear on Dave a few years ago that his was the one The Stig was ragging around the track!!!

bullheart
    Free Member

VX hasn’t really dated. Edgy, ‘out-there’ design…

PeteG55
    Free Member

VX220 for me. I prefer the looks and the engines. I believe the Vauxhall was a little more friendly on the limit too due to its slightly larger track and wheelbase. Though offered a Elise with a Honda VTEC conversion I could be persuaded.
    I do know at my height I couldn’t really drive either for any decent distance. I’ve sat in both and the only way I could get a good view out was by slouching down.

chiefgrooveguru

VX220 is a cleaner aesthetic design and the engines have more grunt.

The original concept for the Elise looked rather nice but prone to flight, hence the various spoilers that were added for production. Series II looks fiercer!

trickydisco
    Free Member

Lotus FTW

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Elise by a country mile. My mate has a VX220 and it does look ace, but it does, alas, still sport a Vauxhall badge

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Elise by a country mile. My mate has a VX220 and it does look ace, but it does, alas, still sport a Vauxhall badge

This- I know next to nothing about cars but if I were looking to buy a sporty number like this I wouldn’t be looking at something with a Vauxhall badge on it, however good it was.

Elises(?) just look great, even if there are a lot of them about.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

The Elise looks truly awful, get a VX.

lodious
    Free Member

Personally, there something appealing about the Vauxhall badge, and I think they look cool.

Del

for the real win, stop dicking about and get a caterham 7. if you must have something with all the extraneous bodywork then a s1 111s would be my vote. very flickable.

This…..

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

The elise is better from every angle. The Vx looks straight from a 1980s parts bin

hughjardon
    Free Member

Elise without question on every level, now buy one and lets move on 😀

brakes
    Free Member

Exige FTW

Bez

Being more common doesn’t make the Elise worse-looking. The VX220 is too reminiscent of 1980s kit cars for my liking.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘STW Poll: Which is the best and best looking of these two cars…’ is closed to new replies.