Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 110 total)
  • STW Mendips ride ????
  • elliptic
    Free Member

With a large crowd of riders on a busy summer afternoon, best to keep it legit really.

GaryLake
    Free Member

If I have enough notice date wise I’d be well up for breaking STW group ride cherry – especially so close to where I grew up!

GaryLake
    Free Member

Also, Hopester can vouch for me having the amazing ability to be both skinny and slow – so I’ll be great mocking fodder for everyone!

Gilles

Any date in August, and I will join in. Cool.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“Bit of cheeky not a problem, surely?”

A “guided” group of 20 at the weekend is a bit different from you+mate on a weekday evening. 😀 A linky/cheeky bit here and there will be no problem. But e.g. Velvet Bottom is a bit sensitive (oooh er) esp. because it’s adjacent to the mendip warden’s house! I think it’s currently classified as a bridal way but only for horses or some such nonsense. I’m enquiring with the AONB.

I hear what’s been said about the gorge-top bridle way. It’s super, and all legal, but I would not want to be involved in innocent grockles being squashed or tossed off the cliffs – not good for local cycling relations. Pity, because it’s ace [the trail, not the grockles being killed]. If it was included, we would have to exercise some caution. It’s not impossible. [thinks…]

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Go over the back then, down to Bradley cross via the drove. Either climb up the Gorge road or go up the Bridleway – it’ll be a good test climbing it…

sharki
    Free Member

All i remember of the Pub is an entrance, a choice of two bars both with central fireplaces and us sat around with our damp selves steaming against the heat, munching sarnies and supping beers…

Buzz, for the Quantocks ride , i worked with the AONB/rangers to make sure we maintained good relations with them, so yes it’s worth while doing that.

tsr
    Free Member

I’m in – no excuses as it’s on my doorstep!

How about the Hunters for lunch and Butcombe???? (Even though it would involve some road riding)

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

A pint of Butcombe would be lovely thank you…The Hunters’ is a bit out of it IMO. If you want to hook up some time, I’m usually in there with the GF and mates on Fridays from 19:30 until 21:30 [not this Friday tho].

I’m working on some possible routes for examination by OF and ScienceOfficer. [in between too much work pressure and consequently being slightly ill]

r6ymy
    Free Member

Sounds good to me, have you decided on a date yet?

RichPenny
    Free Member

Yes, that’s kind of what I meant Buzz. Most of the good bits that I know local to me are cheeky or are more easily linked by footpaths or unspecified paths. I don’t know the Mendips at all though, so I guess it’s different in all areas. Plus, we don’t have rangers, lots of walkers or similar nonsense…..

Besides, it’s not my route and not the area I have to regularly ride in after the STW lot have passed through, so please ignore me 😉 Wherever we go, it’s going to be ace.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

oldfart & ScienceOfficer.

I’ve been doing some route planning and have 3 variations in mind. Want to contact me for an off-line discussion?

My email is in my profile.

sharki
    Free Member

Might be an idea to have a back up plan for if the summer comes properly and the mendips take on it’s usual guise of slick slippy fun, which for me is fun but for not so much for some of the others..

Lots of the rowbarrow stuff becomes an ‘ok bike, we’re going that way are we’, as you hurtle out of control down a 15ft wide stump infested trail of hope and fear, however alot of this is indeed cheeky and may not be included.

But i guess they could be an alternative for those wishing too as they all end up at a linking forest trail which will enable rejoining the main troops.

So one route for the guaranteed dry conditions and one for the wet…these rides are great for advertising the area and it’s riding so use the opportunity to promote the area well.

Which i have no doubt you’ll do, i’ve had few amazing rides on the Dips, but have something special to compare them with IMHO 😉

snaps
    Free Member

I fancy this but very date dependant, has one been set yet?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Of all the cheek on the hill, Rowberrow is probably the most acceptable IMO.

15ft is pushing it – alot of it is proper singletrack, but the slimy-roulette-of death bike control technique you talk about is still valid!

You’r right Sharki. There are few places as good as Quantocks IMO. I wished I lived 15minutes away from the Q’s, but I live 15mins away from the ‘dips, which is vastly better than living in say, Anglia or London – at least for MTB.

sharki
    Free Member

Perhaps this particular trail was slightly off piste, it was a night ride and all i remember is all of us entering the trail in single file on single track than as it steepened, we began our separate journeys in all directions, my failure in using trailrakers or other suitable knobbly tyres meant a few moment of the rear over taking the front, inc one complete 360, which i still can’t work out how….i could see the trail exit but the bike seemed not to want to take me there directly, so after about 300m the 150m section was completed and despite the rain we all stood there sharing our experiences of the last couple mins….We were going to do it again but thought better of it as stump roulette isn’t a game to play twice in one evening.

cinnamon_girl

Date please date please date please date please date please 😀

Stop tormenting us!

snaps
    Free Member

I can just see CG in the back of the car now…..
    Are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet re we there yet

cinnamon_girl

Nah, just had such a good time with the West Country Riders and wanna do it all again 8)

dropoff

Anybody fancy making this a weekender ? There’s a nice campsite opposite broadway House in Cheddar only £5pppn. Could do Fri night/sat and sun rides then 🙂

Hairychested
    Free Member

Date please!

dalepoint
    Free Member

I fancy this if I can get a pass out but need to plan the date in the diary. I keep seeing these rides and saying I must make one. I do hope you dont bite.

sharki
    Free Member

Dropoff, you just want the preride BMX playtime….

2 days on the Dips…Hmmmm!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Listen up – I’ve been chatting to OldFart and this is what we think…

Date: Sunday 16th of August.

Route: We’ve come up with three equivalent routes and we’d like to get you’re opinions before we decide. [Apologies for the nerdyness, but I had a day of illness last week and was bored enough to get the mapping software out]

STW Route 1 (33km, 902m ascent, 6 hours at 5mph, 15% road)
    Cheddar Gorge – Reservoir Walls car park (Start)
    Up to the summit of the Gorge (Climb)
    Cheddar Cliffs (Descent)
    Bradley Cross to Carscliff Farm (Climb)
    Charterhouse
    Rains Batch (Climb)
    LimestoneLink (Descent)
    Rowberrow Wood (Climb)
    Santa’s Grotto (Descent)
    Rowberrow Bottom (Descent)
    The Ship at Rowberrow for refreshments
    Holloway Lane, Rowberrow Wood to Tynings (Climb)
    Warrens Hill Road to Cheddar (Descent)
    Up to Reservoir Walls (Climb)

Notes: there are several free parking bays near Reservoir Walls but the ones lower down are pay parks, about £4 per day I think. It uses a cheeky track to access the top of the gorge-top trail to avoid a push/carry. Descending the Gorge around 10am will be OK if taken carefully. At other times it will be too busy to be fun. The climb up from Bradley Cross is initially quite tough. The refreshment stop is “The Ship” in Rowberrow, about ¾ of the way around. The long descent of Warrens Hill is a good finish

STW Route 2 (36 km, 927m ascent, 6 hours at 5mph, 15% road)
    Burrington Combe (Start)
    Burrington Ham (Climb)
    LimestoneLink (Descent)
    Dolebury Bottom (Descent)
    Sandford Batch
    Cheddarcombe Lane to Shipham (Climb)
    Rowberrow Wood to Tynings (Climb)
    Cream teas in Cheddar Gorge
    Bradley Cross to Carscliff Farm (Climb)
    Charterhouse
    Rains Batch to Black Down (Climb)
    Stony Lane (Descent)
    Burrington Combe (End)

Notes. The initial climb up Burrington Ham uses cheeky but at 10am Saturday it should be fine and the small summit is very scenic. There is another small bit of cheeks on Sandford Batch, but this area is barely frequented, in fact it might be a bit overgrown (we will have to look/prune). Suggest the refreshments break is one of the tea rooms in the bottom of the Gorge road. The climb up from Bradley Cross is initially quite tough. The descent line of Black Down can be confusing because there are many variations. Stony Lane is a good if short descent to finish.

STW Route 3 (35 km, 745m ascent, 6 hours at 5mph, 15% road, 15% cycletrack)
    Cheddar Tweentown Pay Car Park(Start)
    Strawberry Line cycle track to Shut Shelve
    King’s Wood (Climb)
    Wavering Down
    Crook Peak (Descent)
    Loxton Hill (Climb)
    Christon (Descent)
    Road to Banwell Castle (cream teas on the terrace)
    Road to Sandford
    Sandford Batch (Climb)
    Cheddarcombe Lane to Shipham (Climb)
    Rowberrow Wood to Tynings (Climb)

Notes. This is a complete contrast to routes 1 and 2 because it goes to Wavering Downn/Loxton instead of the main area Burrington Combe. The general feel is more technical bridleways than singletrack. The initial section is cycle track following a disused railway line to Shute Shelve. The climb up King’s Woods is short, tough but doable. The descent of Crook Peak is cheeky and uber high speed but it is wide open there is little risk to walkers. There is an alternative techy bridleway to Webbington. Cream Teas on the terrace at Banwell Castle. The long descent of Warrens Hill is a good finish.

🙂

CountZero

Well I’m certainly up for it as I can’t do the Quantocks one and the Pewsey one on my doorstep doesn’t seem to be getting anyone all moist with anticipation yet, but some sort of clue as to date would be nice. Any Sunday, really, as Saturdays are usually committed.
    [edit] buzz’s date suggestion works for me, and I’ll go along with the majority decision regarding route. I don’t know the area at all, so will accept superior knowledge. [/edit]

cinnamon_girl

Blimey buzz, you have been busy! I’m easy to please cos I don’t know the area. Happily go with the flow 🙂

sharki
    Free Member

Id be interested in no3 on a different day as would like to do the WMW above the webbington one day.

But for visitors to the area, burrington needs to be included so no2 with a bit of playtime in Rowberrow if we can

clubber
    Free Member

Could you post the gpx files? Not certain that I’ll be able to make it but they’d be useful to keep on file.

CountZero

I’ve now put this into my calendar for the 16th. Looks like a great day out.

dalepoint
    Free Member

Will see what I can do happy to go with the local knowledge. 16th Aug will go and hunt the diary down.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Hope to be on hols by then, otherwise I’m in, whichever route you choose.

trickpsyclist
    Free Member

I’d be very interested in this. Very impressed with the effort you’ve gone to Buzz! 16th should be ok with me (assuming Transalp hasn’t put me off mountain biking forever!).

Will you keep people informed via STW?

RichPenny
    Free Member

Sweet, can make that date. Fantastic work on the maps Buzz, I think I’d plump for route 2, simply because cream teas at cheddar gorge sounds good. Playtime in Rowberrow could be fun!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

clubber – GPX in your mailbox

r6ymy
    Free Member

Damn, you managed to pick the week that I’m on hols in the Lakes. Wouldn’t mind a copy of the gpx files anyway, it’s an area I’d like to explore some time.

Andy

16th good for me too. This is brilliant as i have been dying to ride in the mendips for ages!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

r6ymy – GPX in your inbox

How is your arm?

r6ymy
    Free Member

Hi buzz, files received. Arm is OK thanks, today is the first day that it will straighten out properly, just in time for tomorrow’s Chilterns ride.

clubber
    Free Member

Thanks Buzz

sharki
    Free Member

I’m doubtful on this one now.

Hopefully Scotland will be my destination.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 110 total)

The topic ‘STW Mendips ride ????’ is closed to new replies.