Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • STW: Make my choice, new camera or smartphone?
  • Bimbler
    Free Member

New year’s resolution is to take more photos. To this end I’ve been looking at getting a new camera, portability is the main criteria, something pocketable so I can always have it with me. I’ve been looking at the slightly better than point and shoot segment, things like the Lumix LF1 (the current favourite) and Tz60, various Sonys right up to the Panasonic GM1. I guess £400 is the maximum budget. However I’m torn between that and a new smartphone, possibly a Note 4, as I know I’ll always have it with me. Up to now I’ve been a point and shoot kind of guy know nothing of F stops, aperture priority, raw shooting, whatever, but think I’m willing to learn. So forum you decide

CountZero

I use both a compact camera, a TZ30, and my phone. The phone is always with me, but the camera comes with me when I’m out walking, or at gigs, because it’s got a good zoom.
    I take lots of photos, because small compact devices allow it.
    I have got a DSLR, but it’s not working, the battery seems to have died, and TBH, it’s so bulky I just never think of carrying it anyway.
    I’m perfectly happy with the photos I take, there are quite a few on the long-running photos thread, and I’d guess all of those have been taken on the TZ and one of my iPhones.
    It’s not the camera you’ve got, it’s the camera you’ve got with you that’s important.

5thElefant
    Free Member

You’ll take more with a phone. If it’s just for Web use and you’re not printing big you may not see a benefit from a dedicated camera (depending on the subject).

Three_Fish
    Free Member

The best camera, they say. is the one you have with you. I use a Nikon D800 now, but I got into digital photography, after learning on 35mm film SLRs, on my iPhone, primarily because DSLRs were out of budget at the time. There are limitations to small-sensor cameras, so things like landscapes and high detail shots are going to look poor compared to larger-sensor cameras. This would be much less of an issue with the kind of compacts you’re looking at, but, if my own experience is anything to go, you may grow quickly tired of the tiny sensor in a smartphone. Megapixels mean little if they’re jammed into a tiny sensor behind a just-as-tiny lens.

What kind of level would you put yourself at? I don’t mean technical knowledge; I mean in terms of understanding light and composition, as well as being able to capture precisely what you mean to capture, rather than relying on happy accidents.

If you’re still firmly in the beginner’s group, I could be tempted to think that the smartphone option may be good for you, though you’ll quickly find their limitations when you bring the images into development software – they’ll break down and get noisy very, very quickly, so that in itself will force your learning curve. They’re neat little devices with a multitude of uses, so at least if your interest doesn’t develop (pardon the pun) then you’re not left with an expensive paperweight. That said, the better quality images from a good compact might be just what you need in order to keep you motivated and will also help you to learn more about digital development as you’ll have bigger raw files to play around with. I guess that these are questions that only you can answer.

ampthill

That is an excellent question

I think moving forward in photography is alot about post processing. I find that I enjoy using Snapseed to edit the pictures on my phone (Note 1). The quality of the pictures is in general fine

[url=https://flic.kr/p/iE8NAJ]Oh know a film camera I the family![/url] by John Clinch, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/gjT2Eh]Jays first pair of glasses[/url] by John Clinch, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/gqHrh1]more scenes from the grand union canal near leighton buzzard[/url] by John Clinch, on Flickr

But there are 2 things that put me off the camera phone. Horrible ergonomics and really awful low light quality. With no real flash nothing can save you

I would point out that with your budget you could easily by the orginal Sony Rx100 and Lightroom. This would take you way further in the world of pocket photography

My normal advice is that if you want to take more photos then the key thing is a project. A calendar of the year, Photobook of your year on a bike etc. It gives you a reason to pull out the camera and shoot

PS i think the GM1 is way to fat for an every day camera. I think that the review sites tend to get a bit over excited and forget the lens

GM1 vs Rx100 size

Bimbler
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice so far. Project is a great idea.

What kind of level would you put yourself at? I don’t mean technical knowledge; I mean in terms of understanding light and composition, as well as being able to capture precisely what you mean to capture, rather than relying on happy accidents.

I know nothing, I did try and learn about it years ago (pre-digital) but it certainly hasn’t stuck, so a kind of happy accident guy I guess. Would like to learn more, possibly :shudder:a new hobby?

Cougar

Buy my Lumix GF2. (-:

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I’ve just got a Canon EOS-M. It works for me as it is tiny especially with the fixed 22mm lens, I can also buy an adapter and use my other Canon lenses on it. So a no brainer. A decent size sensor and a quite intuitive OS and the size means it will be in my bag every ride.
    It helps that my phone is a Moto-G, fine for most things but the camera is crap. I’m more likely to use my Touch to take a shot.

ratherbeintobago

Funnily enough, I have the same dilemma. The pictures I get with my elderly Olympus µ720SW are far, far better than with my phone. Anyone any suggestions for a suitable replacement (thinking TG-3)?

stumpy01

The pics from a camera are generally ok when light is good and when viewed via a Facebook upload or something.

But, even a mid range compact will knock them into next week in terms of picture quality, especially if light levels drop. And, as mentioned above, phones aren’t the most ergonomic things to use.

BUT….you are more likely to have your phone on you.

If it were me, I’d be getting a new compact, but you need to be sure you’ll keep it on you enough to justify purchasing it.

CountZero

It’s worth repeating that there are often situations where a DSLR is inappropriate, because you won’t be allowed to use it.
    This photo was taken on my phone, no post-processing, and I’m perfectly happy with it as a photograph and as a record of the event.
    I would have had a DSLR or even a bridge camera confiscated for being pro equipment.

[/url] Angus and Julia Stone, Bristol O2 Academy by CountZero1, on Flickr[/img]

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘STW: Make my choice, new camera or smartphone?’ is closed to new replies.