Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • STW Hive mind: What am I going to do with my email…
  • toys19
    Free Member

They say this place is full of IT bods, and everytime I ask an IT question it goes well here, even tough I know damn well most of you are not IT bods..

I have always used POP3 – inertia I suppose. If an email is downloaded to my main PC (at work, self employed) it is stored there, and deleted from the server.
    I like/need to keep some messages, including attachments.

I am moving away and will not be usiong the main PC for a good long while. So moving forward I do not know what to do..

I had considered storing them on the server, but I think this might use up my server space quick..

I use android devices and ipad.
    I am aware that there are other email protocols. Any ideas/recommendations?

scotroutes

Use Gmail to “collect” your POP3 email?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Gmail?

Masses of space, searching and pop3 download options there too. Offline mail available. Use it for work & home on android. seamless integration especially with google now

molgrips
    Free Member

When I used POP3 I used to select the ‘leave email on server’ option.

Then I realised the same server supported IMAP which is far better.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Use Gmail to “collect” your POP3 email?

This, or set up forwarding of your pop3 email to a gmail address. Either way Gmail is the answer.

wwaswas

When I used POP3 I used to select the ‘leave email on server’ option.

this, or depending on who your current email is with they may support auto-forward to gmail/hotmail – I do this with my virginmedia account as I mainly use hotmail.

imnotamused
    Free Member

Gmail. And don’t bother confusing things by downloading to a thick mail client, just use the gmail web client on any pc you use.

In Laymans terms, sign up for a gmail account and use gmail through your internet browser on your pc and any email app on your mobile devices.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘STW Hive mind: What am I going to do with my email…’ is closed to new replies.