Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • STW Hive-Mind solution to the bike/plane conundrum?
  • Alex

From the ‘dirty bike in a bag post’ ^^ there, it made me wonder if there’s a better way of packing my full-sus s for plane travel. Always used an old (and heavy) padded bike bag. Now there’s a 20kg limit on next trip in a couple of weeks and I think Rocket+Bag is going to be at or above that. No way to carry all the other stuff I normally chuck in there.

Also it’s bloomin’ unwieldy, and I’m sure the baggage handlers must love chucking it about 😉 Is it better to get a box/duffbag/something unpadded, pad it out with pipe insulation rather than expecting a padded bag to protect it?

What’s the current thinking then?

nickjb
    Free Member

cardboard box and careful packing. A bag is asking for trouble.

TooTall
    Free Member

Sports equipment usually travels as outsize baggage anyway. Check for different regulations that cover other luggage. Unless it is a cheapy airline, in which case you’re probably knackered!

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

I think you either go full on hard-case, or try and make it as un-throwy as possible, in which case lots of pipe lagging and a cardboard box that looks like it could fall apart at any moment is probably the best option.

compositepro
    Free Member

your own private jet?

but you have given me an idea carbon bike box bags

stavromuller
    Free Member

Coming back from Spain last week met a guy in Alacante airport with his bike in a cardboard box which had fared a damn site better than my expensive luggage

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘STW Hive-Mind solution to the bike/plane conundrum?’ is closed to new replies.