Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • STW Guitarists..
  • MartynS

got a Vox VT15. There is something wrong with it.. but the repair shop can’t find the problem.

So what similar sized practice amp should I have a look at. Must have at least a valve pre amp and reverb.

Budget £150ish.

Like rock/blues type of stuff so a good overdrive is nice but like a good clean sound to.

over to you..!

_tom_
    Free Member

Not sure on their current price but I liked my Blackstar HT5 head, they did a combo as well that got good reviews. My only problem with it was that I use my amps single channel and it didn’t clean up very well with the guitar volume being turned down.

MartynS

ta, but WAY out of tge price range!! £350 for the 5watt combo!!

RustySpanner

One of these:

& a couple of pedals?

Fender Champ 600.
    All valve, small, sounds wonderful, not too expensive (about £150.00).

Gordy
    Free Member

You’re going to want to try it in the shop so you can hear it aren’t you? That said, Fender Frontman maybe? One of the Orange Crush ones has an MP3 input which must be nice for playing along with something.

_tom_
    Free Member

ta, but WAY out of tge price range!! £350 for the 5watt combo!!

Ah sorry I didn’t realise they were that much! I got the head for £200 I think.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Check out the Epiphone Valve Junior range.

_tom_
    Free Member

Just had a look through the Blackstar stuff, you can get a HT-1R combo for pretty cheap – http://www.thomann.de/gb/blackstar_ht_1r_combo.htm

(Thomann are pretty good for ordering to the UK afaik)

And don’t be put off by it being “only” 1 watt, should be loud enough as it’s a valve amp, though it doesn’t say if its a valve power amp..

rkk01
    Free Member

I’ve got a Fender Mustang, and am very pleased with its versatility. Now, I know it’s solid state, but the emulation modes are excellent and other settings can be downloaded from the Fender website. Plenty noisy enough for about £80-100.

Not what you were asking for, but worth a play in your local music store

Very much like the idea of the 1W Marshall anniversary amps – but wow, what a price!

IHN

Someone’s allowed to play his guitar again 🙂

You obviously need one that does this:

emsz
    Free Member

Dad uses a Frontman. Think it’s 25W. Gets a bit buzzy but if you look about you can get them for under £100

plumber
    Free Member

Martin,

I have the Blackstar HT5 combo that you can have for £150 plus postage – its in really excellent condition

It doesnt have verb but has an FX loop so you can insert one

Probably the best deal your going to get for £150

Cheshunt area

Let me know if interested

Plum

plumber
    Free Member

Very much like the idea of the 1W Marshall anniversary amps – but wow, what a price!

Yes I have one, lot of money but although I hate to say it, it a hell of an amp

8)

BobaFatt
    Free Member

I use an Orange amp…..it’s alright but now I’d probably go for the fender

rkk01
    Free Member

Plum – which one do you have – 60s or 70s flavour?

I’m tempted by the 80’s JCM1 combo

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

THIS

Swapped out my Marshall head for a Line 6 one for live duties a while back… Cheap, robust, sounds great.

EDIT – just saw the valve pre amp requirement – may I ask why?

tbant
    Free Member

I will second the Fender Mustang recommendation if you can get past the lack of a tube. I have the Mustang 2, it’s more than loud enough for home use, massively tweak able with the Fuse software, and very good value at around £150. Try one if you get the chance before ruling it out as amp modelling has come along way.

plumber
    Free Member

Plum – which one do you have – 60s or 70s flavour?

I have the 60s one – based soley on my hatred of the Marshall script logo. It is a truely beautiful thing. I’d like to play the JCM but I think I’ll go for the DSL as it has an FX loop and I believe bigger speaker or possible go for a head version

Plum

racefaceec90

i just came across this whilst perusing the interweb (have no idea how it sounds but it looks fab :D. it’s selling at your price point though (£150 ish pounds) http://www.fender.com/en-GB/products/pawnshopamps/models.php/?prodNo=2303000000
    i would really like to try one out 😀 EDIT here is a video of it [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Rj5VBBxDRKw#![/video]

plumber
    Free Member

Yep I’ll be getting one of those looks excellent for the money

also the excelsior is £210 and very interesting

_tom_
    Free Member

Whilst I doubt I’d ever bother with an amp without valve power amp, +1 for this. Valve pre-amp doesn’t really do much for the tone with a ss power amp imo, they’re a bit of a gimmick I think.

MartynS

errr because….. now you mention it not sure. Had a Marshall Valvestate then this Vox and really like the sound of them so I kind of assumed that’s what I wanted!!

Plumber thanks for the offer but I’ll pass on that. I know its a fantastic amp but I’d like to try a few first. However if I try one and like it I’ll drop you a line!

Stuff to look at though, thanks chaps

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘STW Guitarists..’ is closed to new replies.