Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • STW gardeners – what's wrong with my lawn?
  • jools182
    Free Member

It’s rubbish

It was new turf last year, looked great

Since winter though it’s looked patchy and yellow with brown patches

I’ve tried sharp sand and compost with 2 boxes of seed that’s supposed to be good for any conditions including shade

I’ve also fed it a few weeks ago, it still looks shoddy

I’m not a gardener, I just want the lawn to look healthy

PiknMix
    Free Member

How often do you water it?

Esme
    Free Member

If you asked Gardener’s Question Time, they’d say:
    a) you’ve not watered it enough, or
    b) you’ve watered it too much

Daffy

Have you overmowed it?

duntstick
    Free Member

How was the ground prepped before turfing?

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

What’s the extra green strip on the right?

uphillcursing
    Free Member

I would say you may have mown it over eagerly. Too short/too much off at one go.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Do you have a dog?

leffeboy

The bodies need to go a little deeper really

jools182
    Free Member

I’m not sure about the prep, a gardener did it while I was away

I think there’s about 100mm or so of topsoil on top of gravel

The green strip on the right is plastic reinforcement mesh, the lawn did get soggy over winter, and I didn’t want a path. The grass is supposed to eventually pretty much hide it

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Feed it and let it grow.Hope you don’t get weeds/moss in there. Then when looking good mow again, BUT no more than about 10% off.
    PS. My lawns are crap at the moment so no chance of me showing you those but I have only been in this house a month or so.

Markie
    Free Member

Second mowed too short. As above, mow regularly at a greater height.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Agree it may be mown too short, perhaps in one go. Dead patches may be from chafer grubs underneath eating the roots, worth a google.

T1000
    Free Member

Could be chafers or leatherjackets I used nematodes last year to clear them up

bruneep

Have you fed it. Lawns need a lot of care to keep green

cloudnine
    Free Member

Have you fed it.

Give it some cake.. see if it improves

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Definetely too short too soon. Cut it higher next time.

wrightyson
    Free Member

You know what’s wrong with my lawn? That bloody dog I bought at Christmas!

tthew

This place is genius. Our lawn looks a lot like the OP’s just gone and cut out a square of yellow patch and found a little handful of the Chafer Grubs. Going to get some of those Nemetodes and have at them in summer.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

You’re welcome. You could continue to take up turves, evict the grubs and replace them, then water with a dilute fertiliser to help. The grass will be a bit short of roots. I guess the nematodes need the right temperature, by then the grubs will have done more damage.

footflaps

I feed mine every month.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Top dress and seed it, don’t cut for 4 weeks, water regularly. Then cut at a higher height.

However, it sounds like it gets boggy in winter. Consider digging some basic drain channels during the summer if you can. Customers asking me to look at lawns like this expect a quick fix, but I’d say 3 months to get it decent again.

molgrips
    Free Member

Mine seems to consist mostly of Individual grass plants growing long flower stalks horizontally, matting with each other. I think I cut it too short, but I also have kids running around on it.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Yip – you’ve chopped it too short. You are only supposed to chop off 1/3 of the length when mowing.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

This time of year I cut on number 4 with my Bosch Rotak, tad too long but lets the grass build up a decent carpet of thick sward. Any bugs etc don’t get a look in as its a thick healthy carpet O turf. Just start cutting it longer, feed once a month and water when its been dry for a week.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘STW gardeners – what's wrong with my lawn?’ is closed to new replies.