Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • STW gardeners – advice please
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Tried a raised vegetable bed for the first time this year and got a query…

Planted with onions, leeks, potatoes, peas, carrots, lettuce and strawberries. All doing well bar the potatoes – they seemed to grow really high as opposed to bushy then subsequently got battered in all the bad weather we’ve been having.

Lifted one yesterday and found a few small potatoes but the remaining plants look straggly and I am pondering taking them out and planting something else in their place – so what would be best at this time of year (or could I just plant more potatoes or is it too late)?

woody2000

Did you earth them up?

http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/projects/fruit-and-vegetables/how-to-earth-up-potatoes/258.html

You’d possibly be best chucking some salad crops in, but the wet weather has been breeding heaven for slugs and snails so protect them well!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yes I did

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Bump…

flap_jack
    Free Member

it’s too late for nearly everything this year, but wait a month and it’s perfect for early beans etc for next year. Richen the soil first, spuds really take it out of the ground.

Or, if you want to follow a proper rotation, onions or garlic for next year…

Finally, leave the spuds in for another month, everything’s late this year.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

But they are really weather-beaten and losing lost of their leaves – can’t see how they will be able to grow without leaves?

29erKeith
    Free Member

potato bags FTW
    much easier to mound up and harvest and to make sure there are no stragglers left in the ground which will come up the following year in the same spot if you don’t want ’em to

just had all of mine out this week

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘STW gardeners – advice please’ is closed to new replies.