Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • STW fountain of knowledge….cold and flu remedys
  • enduro-aid
    Free Member

ok so since monday night i have felt the onset of a cold / flu (i’m blaming the storms up here and the dodgy windows in our office)

ive been trying to medicate it away before it kicks in but to little success, so come on STW i need a sure fire remedy to shift this before the holiday weekend!!

(disclaimer – i know this is a bike forum and you will not be a doctor or a nurse so i may not follow your advice if you suggest somthing that sounds dodgy for example “snort vodka”)

Stoner
    Free Member

enduro-aid
    Free Member

i should have said I was necking lemsip max strength tablets all day yesterday and it doesnt seem to be helping

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its a virus. Nothing will alter the course of the illness. Assuming its not flu which is a serious illness that will put you in bed for a week the answer is paracetamol to reduce temp, decongestants to reduce snottyness but beware rebound ( it gets worse when they wear off) and plenty of fluids.

sweepy
    Free Member

amphetamine, doesnt cure it but makes you feel loads better till it goes away.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

TJ +1

all you can do is moderate the symptoms.
    i’m doing the same thing at the moment. and hoping the virus is done in the next day or two.

scaredypants

I was necking lemsip max strength tablets all day yesterday

Do you have the number for your local liver unit ??

Oh, as Teej says, no cure for a common cold

rest, fluids, paracetamol in appropriate doses washed down by as much MTFU as you can get into your trolley next time you’re at ASDAs*

*(other suppliers of MTFU are avavilable but they don’t pat your arse as you go through the checkout)

almightydutch
    Free Member

I’ve always found a good workout makes me feel loads better when suffering. Its hard to get the motivation to go out on the bike but smashing out a load of miles works for me.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Overdose on vitamins and water.

enduro-aid
    Free Member

well currently hav M’dTFU and at work, will continue to take the normal lemsip beechams etc and consume fluids

but bloody typical the water cooler is empty and there are no new bottles (our tap water isnt really safe to drink)

so its coffee all the way woohoo

scardypants…why the liver unit? is there somthing i should know?

cynic-al
    Free Member

That first defence stuff didn’t work for me – I think TJ has it right, eating well will help psychologically, adn take time off if you need it.

so its coffee all the way woohoo

Which will not help.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Lemsip contains paracetamol so you have to be careful with the dose because an overdose can lead to liver failure. You’d be surprised how easy it is to accidently overdose too.

Which will not help.

What’s wrong with coffee? It’s a perfectly acceptable way of getting fluids as it is not, as is commonly believed, a diuretic.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Good farmhouse cider, warmed with a spoon of honey in, pint of.
    Nice quite spicy bowl of chili and rice. Will help open your sinuses and the capsaicin in the chili will give you an endorphin boost.
    Don’t go spreading it around at work.

scaredypants

why the liver unit ?
    I’m hoping it was a joke:

paracetamol is very safe in correct daily dosage and very dangerous from about 3-4 x that (occasionally less). I’ve no idea what “necking lemsip max strength all day” really means, I hope you mean something other than how it sounds

lemsip max (and beechams) are likely to have paracetamol in and you must read the instructions

DezB
    Free Member

First Defence plays havoc with my nasal functions. Makes me feel 10 times worse, won’t touch the stuff.

I agree with schrickvr6 – A Berocca in the morning seems to make the cold go quicker. Might be my imagination, but seems to work for me.

toys19
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

Its a virus. Nothing will alter the course of the illness. Assuming its not flu which is a serious illness that will put you in bed for a week the answer is paracetamol to reduce temp, decongestants to reduce snottyness but beware rebound ( it gets worse when they wear off) and plenty of fluids.

Despite my raging desire to pick fault, for once Teej actually makes sense, in fact lets face it, it is at least in his area of expertise..

TheFlyingOx

cynic-al – Member

…I think TJ has it right…

Wait… what?

neallyman
    Free Member

‘Triple A’ throat spray if you have a sore throat with your cold. Only avilable over the counter.

steve-g
    Free Member

I have some 5.7% homebrewed St Peters indoors, that usually takes the edge off any viruses I get

enduro-aid
    Free Member

dont have a sore throat its more of a sore head, aches, tired, snotty nose type thing

actually feeling better for being in work and getting on with the day as against sitting in the house feeling sorry for myself

will hunt out some cider at lunch time haha

mightymarmite
    Free Member

Sambucol (extract of elderberry) It has been indicated that it does have preventative effects on the Flu Virus. From memory the Israelis did a blind study on it a while back.

ski
    Free Member

A weird one that my Mrs uses:

Boil a thick slice of ginger in coke

Not the snorting type of coke btw, hmmmm, thinking about it, I guess that might just work too 😉

shedbrewed
    Free Member

mightymarmite – Member

Sambucol (extract of elderberry) It has been indicated that it does have preventative effects on the Flu Virus. From memory the Israelis did a blind study on it a while back.

If you find some elderberry syrup (or make your own shortly) then it is very high in Vits and can help stave off bugs. I add mine to a bowl of porridge in the morning.
    Enduro-aid, make sure it’s good dirty farmhouse cider, not made from concentrate crap like Strongbow, blackthorn etc.

Adders69
    Free Member

Dose up on Echinacea, Zinc, VitC, Garlic capsules and Cod Liver Oil to speed your way through it … works for me! The added benefit is that you rattle as you walk 🙂

Also … a vindaloo often helps!

ourmaninthenorth

more of a sore head, aches, tired, snotty nose type thing

So, a common cold then.

I’m with TJ. MTFU.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘STW fountain of knowledge….cold and flu remedys’ is closed to new replies.