Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Chrome causes RAM issues
  • Stoner
    Free Member

For months now Ive been having problems with Out of Memory errors coming up on my W7 desktop. I run Chrome and leave it running, often with the forum page open.

I thought it was a Chrome Extension or even Chrome itself causing the problem so did a fresh install yesterday. Only to find another Low Memory error just now, having left my Desktop unattended for a few hours.

Before shutting down chrome I checked it’s task manager and found that STW was hogging over 1Gb of memory!

So I shut down Chrome, restarted and launched a fresh STW forum page a few minutes ago to write this. A fresh STW tab starts at about 47,000K. It then seems to takeup between 150K and 200K more memory EVERY SECOND! This tab itself, only a few minutes old, is now up to 100,000K 126,000K And growing.

What is your site doing to my RAM, ST?

Can anyone else on chrome recreate this for me?

UPDATE: It seems the memory leak only happens when the tab is in focus. And it also happens on non-STW sites, again only when the tab is in focus. When the tab is out of focus, the memory drops a little bit and holds. When focus changed back to the tab, the memory allocation creeps up again every second.

SO I guess that does make it a Chrome issue. Is there a fix?

Cougar

LMGTFY – a few paths lead to this discussion:

https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=337996

Cougar

(Incidentally, I didn’t know about the task manager – Shift-Esc if anyone’s wondering. Handy.)

jambalaya
    Free Member

Stoner, interesting that that happens even as a premium subscriber with no ads.

SaxonRider

I always use Chrome on my two PCs and am getting exactly the same issue as Stoner.

Stoner
    Free Member

jambalaya – to be fair to STW, its not an STW problem I think. There’s general memory leakage problems with chrome, but there’s no single repeateable fix for it as far as I can see.

Ive tried turning off hardware acceleration. That hasnt fixed it.

I shall now have a go at extension disabling and re-enabling.

Stoner
    Free Member

with all extensions off, STW thread page seems to top out at 100-110,000K floating up and down in a 2,000k range but not growing every second.

Time to turn some extensions back on….

scrumfled
    Free Member

Its flash. disable that and suddenly everything gets a lot cleaner.

molgrips
    Free Member

48MB for me and stable.

Cougar

Its flash. disable that and suddenly everything gets a lot cleaner.

Wouldn’t surprise me. A while back I had lockup / stability / performance issues with Firefox for months and months, uninstalling Flash instantly cured it, permanently.

In Chrome, I have it set as ‘click to play’ rather than autoplaying, and don’t see the issue (anecdotally).

The sooner Flash dies a horrible screaming death the better.

GrahamS

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

🙁

jambalaya
    Free Member

How can you speak of a fellow STWer in that way 😯

BTW if he does go can I have his bikes ….

Cougar

Oh good grief.

(-:

Stoner
    Free Member

Right, it seems to have stabilised with all extensions back on, but flash on click to play.

But I can still set it off it seems by going to the front page of ST, and opening the urban downhill news article. I can see the first frame of the you tube vid. EVEN if I dont press play, that’s enough to set off the memory leak.

On the other hand if I go to the OK GO thread, the youtube embeds are just greyed out place holders and that doesnt set off the memory leak.

So Cougar, what has the internet monkey done with the embedded you tube vid on the front page that Jamie hasnt done with his in his thread?

crikey this is tricky to test for.

I think it’s the Snag It extension at the moment that seems to set it off.

possibly also flash though. I think the home pag vid is OK, it doesnt run off with a mem leak, but it does take a while as it allocates a good chunk of memory just from that page

sharkbait
    Free Member

Interesting.
    chrome here on a XP Pro machine and the STW home page (in fact any STW page uses about 450-460mb RAM but it may not be showing all the page content *cough. BBC News home page is about 77Mb.
    I suspect one or more of your extensions.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I bet he’s properly dressed for it when it happens…

What shoes for a horrible screaming death? 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

BTW if he does go can I have his bikes ….

I bet he’s properly dressed for it when it happens…

What shoes for a horrible screaming death?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Speaking as a relative numpty when it comes to computing, I’m interested in the “disable Flash” comment.

What would this affect? Isn’t it an essential?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Isn’t it an essential?

I like to think so.

(I’ll stop now)

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Yeah, but. Seriously…

endurogangster
    Free Member

Sounds like you have a ladies amount of ram!

allthepies
    Free Member

36Mb and stable here.

Edit: Woah, just jumped to 48Mb after this post.

Edit Edit: And now 65Mb after the edit (you get the picture)

scotroutes

I’ve had a look at all the chrome tasks in Task Manager on several occasions and yes, they do seem to grab enormous amounts of RAM. However, I’ve never had any out of memory errors as Windows memory management seems to handle them just fine.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Chrome causes RAM issues’ is closed to new replies.