Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • STW Etapers – how was your day?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

I managed to get a last minute entry. 4.26.57.
    I had hoped to get in under 4.30 so well chuffed.

A training regime that consisited of riding up and down the Lairig Ghru and looking for descents to the Inschriach Cake Shop wont be found in many training guides but I might be onto something.

Top day, no mentalists with tacks. Loads of locals cheering riders on too.

fishboy
    Free Member

Superb day, no rain and not too much wind. I finished in 4:44 – keen for sub-5hrs so very happy, it was over 30mins quicker than my last attempt!
    The pipers were a nice add-on too, cracking supporters everywhere. Here's hoping it silences the miserable anti's!

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

was a eautiful day up in dunkeld, saw loads of people with road bikes on their cars goin home down the A9

hope the bloke i saw about 5 miles south of dunkeld was ok, after he emptied his guts at the side of the road… looked unpleasant!!

druidh
    Free Member

Great day – Start looked like a bit of a shambles but went pretty smoothly (well, it did at Wave D). Saw a couple of spectacular falls. I believe Ben Fogle was one of them.

Weather was better then any of the forecasts, so lot of folk were over-dressed. I reckon I got it about right with the wee De Marchi windproof jacket and took it off for the climb up Schiehallion, whereupon it stayed in my jersey.

Didn't stop at any of the feed stations and got round on 1.5L of Torq.

As above – great to see so many locals out cheering and stuff, but I thought a lot more of the riders could at least have waved or acknowledged them.

Was aiming for sub-5hrs, but seemed to get into some nice, fast groups so whizzed round in 4:12. I was gobsmacked!

Edit: saw 70.1 kmh on the speedo too!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Good effort Druidh. I need to hone my draughting skillz. Or rather my abilty to endure the pain to catch big bunches. I was caught by a big bunch on the section from Strathtay home, just had enough left in the tank to catch it, and was sooked all the way home. 😀

I was in wave E, we were passed by the ambulance on the first climb. I saw a few bloodied riders limping home at the finish.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Well done Druidh – thats a fairly impressive time for a pensioner! Did you take a short cut?

geoffj

Druidh – seriously impressive time! If it was as nice up there as it was down here it should have been nearly perfect conditions. I'm defo going to register for next year!

druidh
    Free Member

2011 entries are now open….

I think I'll give it a miss tho – no way am I ever gonna beat that time!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘STW Etapers – how was your day?’ is closed to new replies.