Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • STW employment and bank experts.
  • Denno17
    Free Member

I would like a bit of info if someone can supply it please. The company I work are meant to pay wages in to each persons bank on the 30th of every month. Now one part of the site has been paid but the warehouse staff are still wage less. If the payment is not made and standing orders and direct debits are not paid and returned, resulting in you being charged are the employers liable to cover the charges made by your bank? Any info would be great.

DT78
    Free Member

My employer would cover any costs that are incurred if they made a mistake and paid salaries late.

I know this because I had a worry an employee would get paid on time due to a system glitch.

Do you have a HR person to ask? – they should know

IHN

In short; no. They might do if they’re nice though.

It’s your responsibility to make sure there’s enough money in your account to pay your bills. That’s why it’s a good idea to have DDs and SOs coming out a couple of days after your wages are supposed to go in, in case there’s a problem such as this.

Northwind

It’s worth speaking (nicely) to your bank for things like this. I’d have refunded you, provided I could verify the facts (ie seen the regular payment and that this one was late). And when I was in BACS I’d have told our branches to do the same. But there’s no obligation, it’s pure goodwill. And yep build in some margin in your timescales.

I used to work in the BACS desk of a big bank, and this sort of thing was fairly common- mostly just human error at the company. If there’s any legal obligation, I’d expect to have heard about it and I never did. But then we were quite a bad bank 😉

If nothing else, the company could have let you know there was an issue- if they didn’t know about it before the day the money was due in your account, they’re incompetent.

Denno17
    Free Member

Just been speaking with the finance dept and they are assuring everyone that the wages will be in the bank today, they can not say at what time but today. They have also said the money is being transferred via a domestic payment? Anyone heard of this? The only thing I can find regarding a domestic payment is a transfer from one account to another within the sale bank group.

Northwind

Domestic payment is usually just shorthand for “within the same country”- international vs domestic. Pretty meaningless in this context I think but the fact that they’re not sure about time suggests they might be doing chaps payments. Which is actually semi-cool of them if they do as it gets expensive very quickly. (They might equally be doing some sort of manual faster payment thing which works out pretty similiar but is normally cheap- this was only just coming in when I left so I know nowt about it other than that banks didn’t want business customers using it as they make a mint off chaps)

Unless the bank has screwed up but they’d probably have mentioned that…

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP – no they are not obliged to do so. You can ask (nicely but firmly) but I would probably expect they would not cover those charges. You might like to move your direct debits to be a week later to cover for this eventuality in the future.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘STW employment and bank experts.’ is closed to new replies.