Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Stw electricians help – led lighting problem
  • eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Just replaced 10 halogen mr16’s with dimmable LEDs and a trailing edge dimmer switch. Lights work as expected but when I turn the neon tube light on in the room next door the LEDs either flicker or turn off completely. I’m guessing they’re susceptible to a change in voltage but it was never an issue with the halogens. Have I done something wrong or is there an easy fix ? Cheers

Andy_K

Get the wiring checked. Could possibly be some funky spuring done previously.

For other possibilities, try replacing the dimmer with a regular 2 gang switch and see if you still have the problem. Maybe try a different make of dimmer, as even the LED specific ones are not all the same.

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

The wiring to the kitchen (LEDs) was all new 3 years ago. Although the neon loop to the utility room has stayed the same. Only is a problem with that one light though-not even the under unit lights affect them.
    Will give a new dimmer a go first before I call a spark in, cheers

womble321
    Free Member

Hi there if your in Bristol I may be able to help you out.
    Ian @ MV Electrical 07919072856

Flaperon

Are you overloading the dimmer? Rule of thumb is that the maximum LED load should be less than equal to 10% of the max rating. So the dimmer says 500W, maximum load is 50W, or less than 7 LEDs.

Andy_K

The other cheap option is to replace the flouro with a normal lamp fitting, ruling out any effects or leakage from the starting electronics on the tube.

And as Flap says, what wattage are your LEDs?

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

10 x 6w LEDs – will double check the dimmer rating. Interestingly it doesn’t do it all the time!!

rowlapa1974
    Free Member

Have you checked how tight the terminal screws are in the dimmer switch?

##Don’t forget to turn your lighting circuit off##

posiwev
    Free Member

Check the type of transformers you have, electronic versions have overcurrent and more importantly undercurrent protection LED’s draw a much smaller current than 50w halogen.
    The old type wire wound transformers work better and get renamed as drivers for LEDs
    TBH you would have been better doing away with the transformers, changing to GU10 lampholders and fitting GU10 LED’s

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Yep, the LEDs are Gu10’s so no transformers. The dimmer is a 400w trailing edge so I think that’s my problem. It’s bloody annoying cos I originally bought the 4w bulbs but the shop didn’t have them in stock so ‘upgraded’ me to the 6w version. And now I’ve thrown out all the packaging. Do they even do a 600w dimmer switch?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Stw electricians help – led lighting problem’ is closed to new replies.