Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • STW doctors to the forum please
  • Flaperon

Following a sequence of events I regret I put a deep graze into my knee (copious blood etc but fairly shallow).

Cleaned it with antiseptic wipes and taped some gauze over it yesterday. Unfortunately 24 hours later it’s still showing signs of bleeding slightly (patting the gauze with toilet paper is showing bright red blood seeping through) and more annoyingly, the gauze is now thoroughly stuck to the wound.

Do I…

– leave it alone?
    – peel it off (I’ve just soaked it in a warm shower and it’s still firmly stuck.
    – bite the bullet and head down to minor injuries clinic?

Don’t want to waste their time for something trivial. Also I’m afraid they might just rip it off. 🙁

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Personally I’d peel it off and spend the day in shorts to get plenty of air to it in the hope it will scab over nicely.

Then in a few days, the 5 year old me hiding in this 45 year old body would start picking at the scab!

wrightyson
    Free Member

If it’s open I which I usually get on shins from pedal rash I usually cut a plaster into thin strips to hold it together whilst keeping as much air around it as possible.

infidel
    Free Member

The gauze really should come off but its probably pretty well integrated into the scab now. Problem is it can act as a focus for infection. Ideally you’d have something like an inadine dressing between any gauze and the wound or something like mepore which is a non-stick but non antibacterial dressing.

I’m guessing the bleeding is fissuring of the scab as you flex your knee?

If you can’t get the gauze off at all or if you can but don’t have a non-stick dressing then I think I’d head to minor injuries (may hurt though as they try to get the gauze off). You could try soaking the gauze in warm water with a teaspoon of salt dissolved in it (approx 1tsp per litre or so)

Flaperon

After much effort, pain, snot and tears the gauze came off. Still seeping tissue fluid but probably not enough to warrant troubling the NHS so went to pharmacy instead for some non-stick dressings.

“Keep it covered” was her advice, apparently drying out a wound extends the healing time and increases the risk of scarring.

Thanks for the advice. 🙂

natrix
    Free Member

Don’t forget to have yourself tested for Cat Aids :mrgreen:

perchypanther
    Free Member

Following a sequence of events I regret I put a deep graze into my knee

Was it a wound sustained in an epic battle to the death with your neighbour over the barking dog?

Is it a dog bite?……. Might be Dog Aids?

benjamins11
    Free Member

Sounds all good, if it starts to get hot, or swollen(more swollen probably) and if your knee gets to stiff to move think about seeking further advice, preferably in person not stw! 😉

Flaperon

Err, no. Bit more involved than that.

My local Tesco has decided that the only acceptable way of getting their is by car. You can get to it on foot, but it involves walking in the road for a brief time (20 feet?) because they’ve built a car wash where the pavement used to be.

I didn’t hear a car come up behind me due to the wind (both lanes go in the same direction, albeit with a 20mph limit) and instead of maybe sounding the horn or just waiting 5 seconds until I get back to the pavement, the driver revved his engine, hard, about a foot away from the back of my knees.

Not particularly impressed with this and in subsequent adrenaline rush gave him some abuse and possibly delivered a kick to the bumper. At which point a pair of enormous eastern European blokes unfold themselves from the car…

Decided quite quickly that discretion was the better part of valour and legged it. Unfortunately when I did get back on the pavement it was slick with leaves and I went down like a sack of potatoes. Hence the grazed knee and palm. And my favourite jeans now have a hole in the knee and blood on the leg.

If it is karma I feel a bit hard done by, to be honest.

jimdubleyou

“Keep it covered” was her advice, apparently drying out a wound extends the healing time and increases the risk of scarring.

I got the same advice when I went otb and cushioned the fall with my face.

I remain scar free 🙂

perchypanther
    Free Member

Sounds as if you were fortunate in that the two blokes didn’t give you a proper shoeing when you went down for hoofing their car in the slats.
    Getting out of this scenario with only self inflicted injuries was probably a bit of a result.

Now, if you could only channel all the pent up aggression and bitter resentment and use it to write a short, angry postcard to your neighbour about that dog….. 😉

Flaperon

It’s not pent up aggression, just that too much time on a bike has led to a very low opinion of people who use their cars either to intimidate or as a weapon.

aracer
    Free Member

I’d sue Tesco

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Boots do a good wound healing gel which stops things scabbing over

Pigface
    Free Member

Nurse, the screens…………..

bruneep

Tesco CCTV footage of attack

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘STW doctors to the forum please’ is closed to new replies.