Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • STW 'crocks ride meet' – 6/7th March – Lakes somewhere?
  • grumm
    Free Member

This was suggested in another thread – just wondering if anyone is up for it? Basically a really gently paced ride with no pressure and lots of options for stopping or giving up if necessary.

Seems to be a few of us with ongoing health issues that means we are a bit wary of hooking up with 'normal' people for a ride or have lost confidence a little bit.

Even if I/we end up doing one sweet Lake District descent at least we will have got out and done something.

Anyone fancy this?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

The Bog Trotters ride will be somewhere south Lakes and classed as 'easy' that day 🙂 It was originally down as Kentmere but the ride leader dropped out

grumm
    Free Member

Yeah but I've heard about the Bogtrotters attitude to slow people and considering that you class Garburn Pass as a beginner's ride…

Jenga
    Free Member

Hey Grumm. Think I suggested that. Certainly interested, but not if it's going to be an STW invasion. As has been posted elsewhere:-

the Singletrack ride the other week had caused a stir with the Park Authority,

The numbers involved in those rides are the main reason why I stay away. Keep it nice and low key and I'm in. Fancy the latest hot route? Cathedral Quarry. The surprise is not that it has just been "discovered" but that it took so long to be found!!!

Bugger. Just checked the calendar and I'm at a Pennine Way rcord holders re-union that w/e. Any chance of another date?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Yeah but I've heard about the Bogtrotters attitude to slow people

what have you heard ? I'm slow and so are quite a few others, and as far as I can tell, nobody cares

and considering that you class Garburn Pass as a beginner's ride

the 'beginner' classification is one of attitude, not terrain – it doesn't matter how technical the trail is if there's no criticism if you get off and push – just ride the bits you can 🙂 One of our slowest riders said she hated Garburn the first time she did it, but a year on she did it again and loved it. I set out to provide riders with a challenge which they can chose to atttempt or not as they see fit, with no sanction for refusal. It seems to work.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

The surprise is not that it has just been "discovered" but that it took so long to be found!!!

definitely! It's embarrasssing to have passed it about 50 times unknowingly!

the Singletrack ride the other week had caused a stir with the Park Authority

I don't know if this is true, it was told to me by a single non-local, however Gavgas hasn't responded to my mail to about it yet as presumably he would be the target for any criticism

owenb
    Free Member

I've been out with the Bogtrotters once and I'm the slowest of slow! They waited regularly for me and it was a really good experience I never felt too guilty for holding them up, to be honest I'm looking forward to the opportunity to go out with them again soon.
    I'd be up for going out on the 6th though, but I'm stuck with the kids that weekend.

lowey

Where did he get his information Simon ?

shoei
    Free Member

Would be up for something like this.
    Neurologist reckoned the 32kms i did the other week was a bit much for getting out on the bike again after nigh on 12 months off the bike.

tops5
    Free Member

This sounds right up my street! Will come if I can.

FWIW i went out with SFB and co. once – think it was a beginners ride (Edenfield?). I held them up constantly but never heard a moan, guilt has put me off returning 😳

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Where did he get his information Simon ?

perhaps it was the bloke who dropped out of leading us in Grizedale last Feb when he heard I was going? Fagus ? He claimed to have ridden with the Bog Trotters and having been subsequently blackballed though to my knowledge that has never happened. Some of us may be indifferent riders but I don't think you can fault us on friendliness and tolerance 🙂

Oh, perhaps you mean about the park authority ? I think the group we met were Biketreks riders, so he may have heard something from Andy Stephenson. I was sceptical but didn't pursue the matter

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I held them up constantly but never heard a moan, guilt has put me off returning

Guilt? I've already said, I'm slow, and I also stop every few hundred metres to take photos all day and no one complains. If you want to feel guilty, feel it about not joining in when you have the opportunity – we ride to have fun, not to prove anything, and fall over backwards (and frontwards) to be accomodating 🙂

tops5
    Free Member

SFB – More of a comment about myself than you, I found you all to be more than accomodating.

Perhaps it was just one of those days – I went over the bars and landed on my back in a foot of freezing water, it was flipping cold too! (Jan 2nd or something)

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

it was flipping cold too! (Jan 2nd or something)

lunch with Baldric:
    click pic for more

tops5
    Free Member

I'm behind Dave in the blue/yellow – I can be seen more clearly in the pic marked "stragglers"!

Oh yea, and my Psylos seized up that day!

lowey

Yeah, I meant about the stw ride. Not arsed about fagus.

grumm
    Free Member

Jenga – was only really thinking it would be an small elite team of invalids. 😉

Thing is, I would probably normally have been slow-ish – but at the moment I would probably be in a new league of slowness. Think I would find a big group a bit stressful at the moment anyway tbh.

When would be a good weekend for people then? I'm in no massive hurry. Good weather would be nice too. 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

was only really thinking it would be an small elite team of invalids

ah, OK, I didn't mean to hijack your thread! It's we don't discriminate against slow riders 🙂

ton

is it illegal to ride in big groups in national parks……………no
    so **** EM…………. 😉

shoei
    Free Member

When would be a good weekend for people then? I'm in no massive hurry. Good weather would be nice too

should be able to get a "pass" for most weekends as long as ive got a bit of notice.

Esme
    Free Member

We now have a regular Easy Ride over on Shecycles.net, which attracts all sorts of riders (including He-cycles). Very relaxed pace, with lots of cake and gossip. People don't always want a challenging ride, especially if you're a beginner or recovering from illness/injury

Bunnyhop

Would be interested in this if it was a bit later in the year.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

The numbers involved in those rides are the main reason why I stay away. Keep it nice and low key and I'm in.

On the Lakes stw ride I had two other Guides on the day and Intended riding in different areas to avoid one big group.

I was advised everyone wanted to ride in en-mass, and I must admit i thought this was not Ideal. 😥
    The other leaders took on a leading and sweeping role and this worked out well,(Thanks Anne,Matt and Max)we covered 20 odd miles with no problems from "others" on some pretty sustainable trails,some routes/sections were avoided due to the potential for accidents,(we went through a wall instead!)and the lack of hardpack underfoot.

I think staying on the quieter trails meant we avoided the walkers and it actually made a better days riding imho,although I would be reluctant to lead a big group in the Lakes again,It just felt a bit wrong at the time,and a bit hazerdous on the roads,Irrespective of where we were on the trail.

Oh, perhaps you mean about the park authority ? I think the group we met were Biketreks riders, so he may have heard something from Andy Stephenson. I was sceptical but didn't pursue the matter

Andy and the team at Biketreks very kindly donated some freebies to the ride,and I gave them a mention in the origional thread,I do not think it would be in there interests to promote riding "off piste"in large groups,I have apologised to them on this matter and I know Andy is keen to stay on the right side of issues like this for the long term future of mountainbiking in the Lakes. 😕

sorry for the hijack/rant

I hope everyone enjoyed themselves on the day though! 😉

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

The numbers involved in those rides are the main reason why I stay away. Keep it nice and low key and I'm in

but discuss it on here where droves of potential riders can get interested ? Is that going to work ?

Trampus
    Free Member

Grum, you have a plethora of gentle rides, with multiple bail outs, on your doorstep that are ideal for 'old crocks'. Why do you have to involve The Lakes?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Why do you have to involve The Lakes?

it might be fun – there are mountains and stuff to look at 🙂

nonk
    Free Member

jenga?
    is that last bit for real?
    if so how fast?

grumm
    Free Member

Grum, you have a plethora of gentle rides, with multiple bail outs, on your doorstep that are ideal for 'old crocks'. Why do you have to involve The Lakes?

Do you have any suggestions? Doesn't have to involve the Lakes I suppose – just that I used to love riding there. But maybe it's not the best place for a 'gentle' ride.

Shoei shall me and you still aim to do something on the 6th/7th?

al_f
    Free Member

GaVgAs – Member
    we covered 20 odd miles with no problems from "others" on some pretty sustainable trails,some routes/sections were avoided due to the potential for accidents,(we went through a wall instead!)and the lack of hardpack underfoot.

Does it make a difference to erosion if, say, 20 people ride along a trail in a single group as opposed to 10 pairs at different times on the same day, or 4 groups of 5? Fair point about safety though, esp. if you have a mixed-ability group.

Andy and the team at Biketreks very kindly donated some freebies to the ride,and I gave them a mention in the origional thread,I do not think it would be in there interests to promote riding "off piste"in large groups

Depends what you mean by "off piste": you mean cheeky trails, then of course you're right. If you mean bridleways or other routes where bikes have a legal right to go, then I don't see what the fuss is about, frankly, as long as everyone is considerate to other trail users, gives way when appropriate, passes at reasonable speed, gives a cheery "hello" etc.

I think it would be a very sad day when a group of friends or a club couldn't go for a ride in the Lakes without having to make sure they were in groups of 6 or less… I also don't see any realistic way that could be enforced.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

But maybe it's not the best place for a 'gentle' ride.

it's the best place for any level of riding 🙂

Jenga
    Free Member

nonk – Member

jenga?
    is that last bit for real?
    if so how fast?

Quite true. The present record isn't mine, but I was heavily involved with it. Time for Kirk Yetholm to Edale was 2 days, 17 hours, 20 mins, 15 seconds. That's stood for over 20 years now, and no-one has been close to it. On foot, of course.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Time for Kirk Yetholm to Edale was 2 days, 17 hours, 20 mins, 15 seconds.

wouldn't that have Wainwright spinning in his grave? One might suppose the point of the walk was to leisuredly enjoy the sights along the way…

shoei
    Free Member

Shoei shall me and you still aim to do something on the 6th/7th?

Yep, got nothing planned that weekend regards kids parties so both days are free for me.
    Think we should take up Esme's offer of joining the "shecycles" outings 😉

grumm
    Free Member

Yep, got nothing planned that weekend regards kids parties so both days are free for me.

Cool, I will try and be really careful to pace myself leading up to it so I will hopefully be capable.

I had missed Esme's post what with all SFBs wittering.

We could indeed join the shecycles outings – all my macho pride is pretty much gone now anyway 🙂

DWH
    Free Member

wouldn't that have Wainwright spinning in his grave?

What's Wainwright got to do with the Pennine Way?

He hated it.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

What's Wainwright got to do with the Pennine Way?
    He hated it.

oh really ? Perhaps I mixed it up with the coast to coast 🙂 Anyway, my point is that racing and setting records is infantile and obsessive

shoei
    Free Member

Checked Calander upon getting home, my son has his jujitsu grading on the sunday @ 3pm, so saturday would be best.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘STW 'crocks ride meet' – 6/7th March – Lakes somewhere?’ is closed to new replies.