Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • STW car mechanics – Driveshaft content
  • Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Mrs BS’s old car has a knackered driveshaft. We’re looking at selling on eBay, possibly for minimal value as it’s oldish and not very good cosmetically, but mechanically other that the driveshaft it’s great, 4 newish tyres, newish brakes etc. but can’t help feeling the driveshaft issue will put a lot of people off.

If I was to buy a used shaft for £50 how hard is it for someone with reasonable mechanical skills and a fair selection of tools to replace one on a 2005 Sear Ibiza TDI on the driveway?

I have ramps and axle stands, what are the potential pitfalls or is it a fairly easy job? Any special tools required that I might not have?

Thanks all.

nickjb
    Free Member

How much is it worth? Its amazing how little difference things like this can make to the selling price.

If you really want to do it then its not usually a hard job but there will be one stubborn thing that won’t come off easily. Plus you might find other jobs that need doing.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Pretty sure that’s an easy swap if it’s anything like my golf caveats being I haven’t got round to it.

It’s one of those jobs though if it goes wrong you now have a movable car!

Worth purchasing an impact wrench for the ONE (always last and always fingertip distance) bit that won’t shift

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

These are both the concerns I have, if anything won’t shift then I can’t move it to the garage, and is it more likely to sell as a fixer-upper. It’s probably worth £500-700 I’d have thought, but ultimately worth what someone is prepared to pay.

I have an impact wrench and bits, and lots of sockets and breakers etc.

I’m thinking maybe just chuck it on with £100 start price without fixing anything and see what it goes for.

middleagedmadness
    Free Member

real easy to swap mate , theres a ring of spline bolts at the gear box end and I think ts a 36mm at the hub end , then just drop off the bottom ball joint , its about 1/2 hr work so don’t be accepting anyone charging more than 1hrs labour if your not doing it yourself , but it is the easiest drive shaft to replace you don’t loose any gearbox oil just a straight swap

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

This is more encouraging!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘STW car mechanics – Driveshaft content’ is closed to new replies.