Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Sturdy toolbox needed – which one?
  • geoffj

Any recommendations for 24″ tough toolbox?
    I’ve looked at Stanley galvanised ones like this – http://www.screwfix.com/p/stanley-23-galvanized-metal-tool-box/48169?kpid=48169

I really want something tough which I won’t break with my crack handed ness – what do you pros recommend?

(Especially looking for views from good looking rugged floor engineers from the Avon / Somerset areas 😉 )

Stoner
    Free Member

The only floor engineers from Avon / Somerset I know are swarthy short – arsed gents who cart their tools around in a Tesco carrier bag.

geoffj

😀

Wot u got then?

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

I quite like my Stanley FatMax. Its like, but not the same as, this one…

http://www.screwfix.com/p/stanley-fatmax-18-cantilever-toolbox/83912

My one doesn’t have the fancy trays. Works well, and you can stand on it if you fairly careful. Also kind of waterproof, so good as my traveling bike tool kit that gets left out in all weather.

ninfan
    Free Member

I don’t think you can beat good old fashioned cantilever ones

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bahco-Orange-Cantilever-Toolbox-BAH3149OR/dp/B006XBULUY

geoffj

Thanks guys – I’ve looked at both the Fatmax cantilever and the bahco metal one. Old school does appeal, but I also like the waterproof nature of the some of the plastic ones.

Any more for any more?

nickjb
    Free Member

I use this toolbox when working on site.:

http://www.tradetiler.com/stanley-tool-box-66cm-26-in-with-level-compartment-1-92-850.html

It’s nice and long so will take a proper saw and reasonable size level. It’s had a very hard life and still going strong

z1ppy

I don’t think you can beat good old fashioned cantilever ones

What heavy, rust, and if abused the cantilevers bend/fail… I’ve couple and I hate them, hated them worse when I used them onsite. 😯

trail_rat
    Free Member

if your breaking tool boxes – pending what your putting in it …. try a hardbottomed toolbag.

we use em at work and they are tough as old boots – we just have platos at work.

find them less of a pain in the arse to carry about than boxes.

maccruiskeen

what are you going to put in it and where are you taking it it. The old metal cantilever ones are a bit selective in terms of what they hold – spanners really, the compartments are pretty shallow. They’re heavy before you even put anything in them, not the nicest things to carry about – sharp pointy corners. Flat metal base means the slide around in the back of the car/van too.

For portability I prefer bags to boxes.

the irwin tool bags for hand tools – lots of little holsters around the inside of the bag so every thing sits handle-up and you can see everything rather than go through compartments and trays.

and the big holdall that the big sets of cordless tools get sold with for power tools (ebay sellers tend to split the sets and the bags get sold off quite cheap)

geoffj

I’m just trying to tidy the garage, and motivated by the article on tool kits in issue 85 I thought I’d try and put all my bike tools together in a box safe and tidy!

I think I may need to have a trip to one of the DIY sheds to have a gander at the stanley offerings.

maccruiskeen

If you’re not actually carrying the stuff around something like a set of Linn Bins might be more useful

loving the URL of that image ‘terradactools’

geoffj

If you’re not actually carrying the stuff around something like a set of Linn Bins might be more useful

I’ve got that setup already, but they are taking up valuable bench space and I need to clear things away a bit better!

trail_rat
    Free Member

trust irwin :d they make all sorts of handy tools – recently got some of their one handed clamps – ace for many things(woodwork , welding and general spannering) and much easier to put in place than the g clamps i used before. also got some of their reverse spiral fluted bolt extractors – those things are the absolute dogs bollocks – had seized brake sliders to remove that had been rounded by previous owner. – no sweat with those puppies.

without doubt is what your garage needs 😉

z1ppy

that plus one ^^^ my old canti tool boxes (mechanic stuff I don’t use often) are under my bench and have stuff stacked ontop of them, really annoying I have drag everything off them and then pull them out, so you can open them properly. That all that will happen with the stanley type box..useful if your onsite but otherwise I have one small stack chest for all my bike/often used tool. Much much better.
    Halford’s often have theirs on sale, I believe that ball bearing supported draws are much better than cheapy ‘runner type’ (I’ve only a cheapy and it is annoying but it was a free hand-me-down)

maccruiskeen

I need to clear things away a bit better!

Sounds like what you need is a Maid 🙂

iainc

I got a good red Halfords one the other year, was half price I think – couple of trays, and top compartment – works for me 🙂

perthmtb
    Free Member

That’s not a toolbox…

THIS is a toolbox, complete with built in beer fridge and stereo …

trail_rat
    Free Member

your garage is very clean perthmtb almost sterile 😉

luke
    Free Member

We use one’s very similar to the OP’s link they might even be the same model.
    The plastic one’s used to get broken all the time but the only damage to one of the ali one’s is when some muppet (Me 😳 ) wedged it in a tail lift of the 7.5 tonner.
    The tool box is still in use but has a dent as it wouldn’t fully push out.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Best of all worlds (I have one and its amazing!!! Stanley tote organiser Ive destroyed the galv stanley ones as tok much weighg inside bulges and pops the sides apart!! My new stanley can be stood on (im 20 stone) ive dropped it and also cut and braze on the lid!! I got mine from wickes foe 18quid!!!

geoffj

Well – I had a wander down to B&Q for a look and I’ve ended up with one of these

http://www.screwfix.com/p/stanley-fatmax-18-cantilever-toolbox/83912

My original choice looked OK, but was probably too big without the option for tool segregation.
    The cantilever one also has the waterproof seal which was an attraction too.

Right, off to the man cave!

Leigh
    Free Member

Dewalt tough system boxes here. Waterproof and strong and sets can be had for them to fit onto a trolley for on site.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Verrrry exlensive the dewalts a joiner on site had em looked the dogs and very useful but neay 450 quid for storage!!!! Whoa. That fat max looks nice I need anothe box as my kit keeps multiplying and my makita bag sin better days!!!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Sturdy toolbox needed – which one?’ is closed to new replies.