Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • stupid spoke patterns (and not enough of them)
  • joemarshall
    Free Member

My back road bike wheel appears to have 24 spokes, in a funny pattern, where there are two spokes, then a gap, then two spokes.

What is the advantage to this over evenly spaced spokes? Does it really save masses of weight over just sticking in 32 spokes like any sensible wheel builder would do? Is it just so it looks like a fancy wheel?

It certainly didn’t make for a better wheel the way bontrager built it, the tension was all over the place (although half the wheel had all suddenly loosened off, so maybe it was initially built evenly but too low tensioned to cope with actually being ridden).

While I’m here, has anyone bought a wheel from parker international – they appear to sell a built up 105 / open pro wheel for roughly what it’d cost me to buy the bits. Are they okay wheels? Oh and can I use a 10 speed 105 hub with a 9 speed cassette?

Joe

coffeeking
    Free Member

Personally I think 36 spokers are the way forward unless yo’re particularly light. But they are heavy. 3 cross (normal) is considered optimal in most cases. Losing 1/3 of your spokes is a LOT of rotating weight.

OF course its fun to do different ones like

3 leading, 3 lagging, or radial for a stiffer wheel.

hot_fiat

anyone remeber these?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bikemonkey
    Free Member

yes, they’re ridiculous

coffeeking
    Free Member

Yep, back wheel of my trials bike is done snowflaked, although not twisted to that extent! 🙂 They look great and I never had any problems with them dying. They weer a little more flexy but not vastly. Since my current one puts up with 17st bouncing about on 1 wheel I can’t subscribe to the general suggestion that they were weaker!

kiwijohn

These were built at my LBS. He’s a bit odd.

coffeeking
    Free Member

3 cross double twisted, thats similar to my trials bike wheel. Not sure I like the colouring but each to his own!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘stupid spoke patterns (and not enough of them)’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts