Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Stupid people stating the obvious
  • project
    Free Member

So today walked out of the front door lycra shorts and a trade team top, spd shoes and a rucksack,cycle helmet and sunglasses, neighbour 1 says you going cycling then, yes says i, gets bike out of garage,second neighbour walks up, you going cycling then!

Why do people always ask the obvious question, like tommorrow, a few neighbours will walk past and say, washing the van again, youll wash it away, or you can wash mine if you like,then yesterday sharpening some chisels,neighbour walks past and says sgharpening your tools then,alwyas best to have a sharp chisel, after hearing the same thing every time you do the same job just gets boring and damm annoying.

Then theirs the neighbour who always says nice weather and walks of before you can say anything else.

Finally, why do fat bloaters, always laugh when you either cycle or walk by them with a bike, is it because theyre to fat to ride, or the lycra, or the colour of the cycle top.

ITS DOING MY HEAD IN,GET A LIFE, OR SOME OTHER CONSERVATIONALIST TOPIC 😐

jj55

ho ho ho ….. c'mon you can make it!

Words uttered by some elderly fat 'person' every time i'm grinding up a 2 mile hill through a national trust park………

feckers…….

MrNutt
    Free Member

Ah posting your greviences on mountain bike forum eh

chvck
    Free Member

Being polite but don't actually want to talk to you? 😉

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Its on a par with people who use extra words when their is no **** need!! For example – "would you like your receipt at all today?" Yes i will just have the top **** corner!!

People using "yourself/yourselves" instead of "you" just trying to sound slightly more "professional and efficient" – you don't you sound like a prick trained in "customer services"!!

johnners
    Free Member

You people should knock one out, it'll calm you down.

RealMan
    Free Member

Yesterday night on the way to the pub on my unicycle, had a van slow down as it passed me and the driver leaned out really angry like and yelled "YOU SILLY LITTLE C**T" at me. Fairly obvious I think, I am on a unicycle. And of course you get a few "mate someone's nicked half your bike".

Rorschach
    Free Member

Answering the phone at work and the first thing they say is "Hi,how are you?"….do they REALLY want to know,cos when I say depressed,overworked skint and newly single cos my wife just left me-they come across all funny, like they really that could'nt give a rats ass how I am cos its just a insincere superfluous 'niceism' not an actual question.Did they really ring to enquire how some random employee is feeling today?….no thought not.So don't flamin ask you muppet.Soz….tough day in the cave,you did ask,

Hohum
    Free Member

It's what most Brits do!

Just learn to live with it 🙂

It's better than them kicking you in the ghoolies/c**t 😉

nickjb
    Free Member

Sounds like a normal way of starting a polite conversation. They say "you going cycling then", you say "yep, just a quick ride to X and back", they say "have fun!", you say "cheers". Its just small talk. What would you prefer?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

you should read some of the posts on here they would really piss you off

scaredypants

OP +1

I like my neighbours to quote me some newly written poetry, or perhaps engage in a brief (but learned) debate on a subject in the news that day. I killed the last one who just said "morning" as that was perfectly obvious to anyone with a watch.

Rorschach
    Free Member

All that goes through my head is "these are minutes of my life you are wasting that I will NEVER get back,I'd prefer not to waste them pretending to be nice to someone I have NO interest in just to keep up appearances" or "shut up before I hit you with a shovel".Allegedly I'm not 'borderline' psychotic…..

RealMan
    Free Member

All that goes through my head is these are minutes of my life you are wasting that I will NEVER get back,I'd prefer not to waste them pretending to be nice to someone I have NO interest in just to keep up appearances"

Tell them to **** off? Soon they will learn not to bother talking to you.

Hohum
    Free Member

RealMan – Member
    Yesterday night on the way to the pub on my unicycle, had a van slow down as it passed me and the driver leaned out really angry like and yelled "YOU SILLY LITTLE C**T" at me. Fairly obvious I think, I am on a unicycle. And of course you get a few "mate someone's nicked half your bike".

That's just plain daft!

I can not get my head around that.

Did you ride your unicycle on the way back from the pub? 😉

RealMan
    Free Member

Yes, and I only fell off once on the way back, when I tried to ride down some stairs in front of mates and other spectators..

Hohum
    Free Member

Rorschach – Member
    All that goes through my head is these are minutes of my life you are wasting that I will NEVER get back,I'd prefer not to waste them pretending to be nice to someone I have NO interest in just to keep up appearances"

Come on mate, at least they are talking to you.

I like some of my neighbours, but not all of them.

Keeping up at least a modicum of rapport with them will mean that when you are away for a period of time they will report that potential burglar to the police who has tried to enter your property rather than just shrug their shoulders at it.

wombat

People using "yourself/yourselves" instead of "you" just trying to sound slightly more "professional and efficient" – you don't you sound like a prick trained in "customer services"!!

I agree completely, this pi$$es me off no end (which is a lot more than it should)

Rorschach
    Free Member

I was'nt talking about my neighbours….I mean EVERYONE!!!

Cougar

Yesterday night on the way to the pub on my unicycle,

Mate of mine is a XC offroad unicyclist. Most common heckle he gets is "hey mate, you lost a wheel?" – he fires back, "nope, found one."

Hohum
    Free Member

Rorschach – Member
    I was'nt talking about my neighbours….I mean EVERYONE!!!

Glad I don't live near you then…

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

I don't know why they bother talking to you, I wouldn't.

I have proper conversations with most of my neighbours quite regularly

Sirlickalot
    Free Member

Now I'm gonna worry every miserable sh!t I try and be friendly to is gonna go and piss and moan about me on the internet.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

So today walked out of the front door lycra shorts and a trade team top, spd shoes and a rucksack,cycle helmet and sunglasses, neighbour 1 says 'you look like a complete knob', yes says i, gets bike out of garage,second neighbour walks up, 'do you get paid to look that stupid?'

😉

PiknMix
    Free Member

Some days it takes me about half an hour just to get to the bottom of my street (that has about 10 houses on it) that's because good neighbours talk about stuff. Living in a community is great some of you should try it 😉

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

Small talk = pointless talk, but you have to do it else people get upset. Especially working in a shop. I'm not a small talk person, but I've only ever worked in retail/customer service so I've generally learnt to get myself into an acting role when I wake up in the morning.

I'm otherwise pretty much a loner (wife excepted)

My boss has to have one of these pointless conversations everyday 1st time I see him every morning. Otherwise he'll have it for you and be grumpy the rest of the day.

If i just say, "morning".

He'll still go
    "yes I'm fine thank you, lovely weather, and how are you today?"

Worst of all he'll use 'lovely weather' pretty much every day, good or bad, i.e. accurate or sarcastic description.

Or If he asks me how I'm doing and I just give a short response but don't reciprocate the question, he'll still answer it.

Yet its still so hard to pin him down and actually get him to listen to something important that actually relates to his business. Maybe I should take this as a compliment that he actually has a lot of faith in how I run his shop for him.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

"So this it, then. We're all definitely going to die" said Arthur.

Ford had noticed that humans spent a great deal of time stating the perfectly obvious, like: "You're very tall" or "It's a nice day" or "So this is it, then. We're all definitely going to die".

He had developed the theory that if humans didn't keep talking, their mouths would sieze up, so that's why they did it.

DrJ

He had developed the theory that if humans didn't keep talking, their mouths would sieze up, so that's why they did it.

That's sort of true IMO. If you have a "communication channel" open with stuff like "nice weather for the time of year", it's then easier to say more important stuff like "my wife left me what shall I do?", or "what do you think of the Joakim Eneroth installation at Tate Modern?".

richcc
    Free Member

The OP sounds a bit 'rainman'. Probably upset at having his thoughts on public sector profligacy interrupted?

simonralli2
    Free Member

I do not think your neighbours are being stupid, nor are they "stating the obvious." It is how British people start up a conversation, they are being friendly and although I don't know them I feel I would be happy having them as neighbours. I would prefer them to the two lycra lads in the car next to me at Drumlanrig who had chest straps and full body lycra outfits and who never said hello to me at all, I guess as they were maybe getting in the zone for their super fast XC ride.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Stupid people stating the obvious’ is closed to new replies.