Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Stupid or WHAT
  • mountainman

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/mar/31/woman-sorry-ben-nevis-rescue-selfie-stick

Was on local news this morning,send her the bill for the rescue !!

househusband
    Free Member

Indeed, and one would hope she’ll making an appropriate donation to the local mountain rescue!

NZCol

I am firmly in the camp of just leaving people like that to sort themselves out. And thats coming from a SAR background….

scotroutes

There wasn’t any bill for the rescue. She was found and accompanied off by some other climbers/walkers

JoB
    Free Member

you can read the less tabloid version of what actually happened here

fasthaggis

According to reports Albone decided to scale the mountain on the spur of the moment while part-way through a mountain biking tour of Scotland

Hope they found her bike.

martinhutch

Press just lifted this straight off the UKC thread she started to thank the guys who helped her down. And the pics probably lifted off FB without her permission.

It’s Britain’s highest mountain, so you’re always going to get people want to tick it and who underestimate the conditions at this time of year.

Thankfully, MR teams in this country don’t leave hypothermic people, however foolish, to sort themselves out, as they would still have to walk up the hill to recover the body. A lot of callouts are due to idiocy in one regard or another, be it walkers, mountaineers or even MTBers.

Luckily she didn’t have to wait for MR to arrive before getting shelter, food and support. Reckon she would have been in big trouble.

NZCol

Her less tabloid version is still an absolute head scratcher. Its the highest hill in the UK, its March and if you have eyes you can see there is snow on the hill. It’s cold, if you are alive and breathing you will notice that. Yet you chosse to climb up a ‘bit’ in your shorts and shoes, in snow (as clearly your shorts were covered). At some point surely you realised that it could go wrong. Honestly. What a load of balls, I’m pleased you will go and get some education but FFS use your brain and common sense first.

tragically1969
    Free Member

Yup, a regurgitated UKC post, MRT didn’t even turn out.

Whoever wrote that story by piecing together the story from the post hasn’t even bothered to check what the real names of kit are, recommended you take poles and an ice pick, erm OK…..

Then they just tag on the bottom three other deaths just for the hell of it, idiots…..

Just for a bit of alternative news, call outs to deal with MTB incidents up 185 percent across Cumbria…..

http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co.uk/news/14394736.Worrying_rise_in_deaths_on_the_Lake_District_fells/?ref=mr&lp=3

rogermoore

Yeah but, selfie stick.
    Hang on… SELFIE STICK.
    There, got it.
    RM.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Original story/thread here.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=637611

Her less tabloid version is still an absolute head scratcher. Its the highest hill in the UK,

1600m or thereabouts, as hills go it’s not that big, and in decent weather you can be up and down in a few hours. OK not in winter in shorts, but people do run up/down the track, even I’ve jogged it, it’s hardly the matterhorn.

its March

It’s been 13C and Sunny for most of the past fortnight down south at sea level. Easy-ish to forget it’s winter.

Yet you chosse to climb up a ‘bit’ in your shorts and shoes, in snow (as clearly your shorts were covered). At some point surely you realised that it could go wrong. Honestly. What a load of balls, I’m pleased you will go and get some education but FFS use your brain and common sense first.

Can we start another “Do you wear shorts to go mountain biking in winter” thread so all the hard men can come out and extol the virtues of their skimpy wardrobe choices.

Pretty easy to set off walking, it gets a bit cooler as you get going, and a bit cooler, nearly there, almost there, bugger better turn back, and find that actually you’ve now got to spend the same time again walking back and you’re already cold.

Not saying she’s not a bit daft, but doesn’t deserve quite this level of tabloid venom!

She made it to the top, then waited for the guys she met up there to pack up their climbing gear for the walk back down, arguably a very sensible thing to do in the conditions, and good to admit when you’ve made a mistake. Alternatively, maybe if she hadn’t waited she wouldn’t have caught hypothermia and would have made it back to her car and we’d never have heard of her?

cheekyboy
    Free Member

I am firmly in the camp of just leaving people like that to sort themselves out. And thats coming from a SAR background….

Are most of the SAR professionals of your camp ?

Were you based near the sea….. 😈

hooli

I am firmly in the camp of just leaving people like that to sort themselves out.

I think most people think that until they end up needing help themselves, after all it will never happen to me etc.

As said above, with riding a MTB, often at night, in winter and in poor weather there is a very good chance we will need help at some point if we come off somewhere remote.

wwaswas

[edit] bin dun

brooess
    Free Member

She’s clearly been very stupid. BUT:

I’d like to know where the Guardian find out about the story as it wasn’t Mountain Rescue that carried her off – and I believe they will put stories in the press as a warning to the general public – ie: do the journalists just spend hours scouring the internet and then effectively write their own interpretation of the story in a way which captures attention (without actually speaking to anyone involved) in which case they need hauling over the coals for effectively making a story up.

I’m interested to know why this is front page on The Guardian – it’s hardly that important and the number of people who harm themselves daily by driving like idiots or eating/drinking themselves into hospital is far far higher – so ‘public interest’ doesn’t wash as an argument here…

Seems like they’re just trying to make something from not a lot and victimise someone who made a mistake – and if you read her posts on UKC is fully aware and deeply apologetic!

NZCol

Are most of the SAR professionals of your camp ?

Were you based near the sea…..

Prrivately I think many would voice frustrations when you have to rescue people who could easily have not put themselves in a position of peril. I was based in the hills.

TINAS – It is Winter though and while it might have been 13 degrees somewhere – look up, its white, that’s snow, snow is cold. I know its easy to get up it, yes you can run up it, probably in shorts in winter if you were quick enough and didn’t feel the cold too much. But you wouldn’t if you used common sense, or you would but take a phone, full set of gear, a hat at least. Jesus, something.

And yes I have been helped before, once at sea and once in the hills. Inexperience both times so it’s not that I am being a completely judgemental pr1ck, i just can’t stand this stuff, in both my cases we had a medical problem which meant even with the right gear we needed assistance.

hairylegs
    Free Member

Being an ex MRT member I would say that the vast majority would disagree with NZCol. Yes, it is frustrating and annoying sometimes to be called out to rescue the unprepared, but what’s the alternative?

It’s all part of the commitment to being an MRT member.
    I’m pretty sure that other emergency services from the Ambulance Service through the RNLI to the RAC all attend “unnecessary” incidents but still treat the injured parties with commensurate professionalism and so do MRTs

There but by the grace of God we all go.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Er, no. Actually.

DaRC_L

Ermm it’s not a head scratcher she has some mental health issues…
    she’s my niece 😕

Getting out into the countryside was supposed to be part of her recovery

Funnily enough when my wifeFB-by-proxy saw her selfie she said
    “She doesn’t look properly dressed…”

NZCol

^ Bloody hell !

wwaswas

I wonder if all the ‘should have left her to die’ people will wind their necks in now it turns out she’s a real person with relatives (who knew!).

martinhutch

Being splashed all over the press won’t help at all. 🙁 Hope she’s doing OK.

rocketman
    Free Member

There’s one on every hill. Cadair Idris at the weekend, hipster in shorts pulls up on the car park
    “Is this the car park?”
    “Is this Cay-der Eye-driss?”
    “Is it a Munro?”

Saw him later on at the top hunched against the icy wind & rain, still in shorts although he might have put a hoodie on
    “We made it!”

I swear some people take the piss

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

But you wouldn’t if you used common sense

Who was the more daft, those that went out knowing the risk and went out to make it more difficult but went more prepared, or the one who went out not knowing the risks? She didn’t know the risks, they probably had the mountain rescue number on speedial just in case. Who used less common sense, her waling up in shorts, or the climbers coming up the north face in winter even with all the gear. OK it’s probably still her, but it’s easy enough to make anyone look stupid when things go wrong. Is it somehow more right if god forbid the climbers had fallen and had to be rescued, which would probably have taken even more time and resources than getting someone off the tourist path? Just because they wanted the challenge of climbing it in winter (the hard way no less)?

If we all used common sense STW wouldn’t exist because we wouldn’t go out into the outdoors on 2 wheeled bikes capable of 40mph over rocky paths would we?

Cougar

she’s my niece

Is the rest of that post wise when the meeja are all over this like a tramp on chips currently? Not sure as it’s info I’d want them to get hold of if I were her / you.

hairylegs
    Free Member

@Mr Woppit … really? Hands up all those who have done something silly and got away with it!

Nah … don’t bother. We’ve all done it and next time you’re riding down Walna Scar or The Gap, or somewhere similar, just have in the back of your mind what the consequences of a serious off might be.

But then, we all take that risk and 99.99% of the time get away with it.

slowoldman

Oh hello the armchair climbers are out again. “Leave her to die”, “send her the bill”.

She cocked up badly and got away with it. Not the first, won’t be the last.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

She looks fit.

To run up that hill.

doris5000

And yes I have been helped before, once at sea and once in the hills. Inexperience both times

😆

MrWoppit
    Free Member

hairylegs – Member
    @Mr Woppit … really? Hands up all those who have done something silly and got away with it!

Nah … don’t bother. We’ve all done it and next time you’re riding down Walna Scar or The Gap, or

“god”

tonyg2003

Er, no. Actually.

Err yes Mr Woppit 🙂 according to my riding buddies who got the ambulance for you on Leigh Hill.

Cougar

Are you confusing god with the ambulance service?

Strange.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Err yes Mr Woppit according to my riding buddies who got the ambulance for you on Leigh Hill.

😀

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I’ll expand it for you then.

We don’t come or go by anything to do with god…

We have accidents entirely due to our own bad decisions coupled with the circumstances, although of course this whole post doesn’t pack quite as much pith as just saying “Er, no. Actually” and assuming you’d get me…

MrWoppit
    Free Member

PS: Of course I was hoping for “For goodness sake Woppit, don’t bloody start that one again”.

Oh well. 😉

perchypanther
    Free Member

We don’t come or go by anything to do with god…

SMITE THE UNBELIEVER!… but provide him with emergency services to sort out the mess afterwards. 😉

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Well, at least there WAS a wailing and gnashing of teeth. 😆

Followed by fart jokes…

hairylegs
    Free Member

LOL … deeply philosophical debate arising out of the use of a commonly (mis)understood expression!! 🙂

slowoldman

She looks fit.

To run up that hill.
    Triathlete apparently.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

deeply philosophical debate

Dunno about that. I was hoping for another interminable tail-chasing argument about the existence or non existence of this god thing. Hasn’t been one for a while.

Massive troll fail, obviously.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Stupid or WHAT’ is closed to new replies.