Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 212 total)
  • Stupid names for kids
  • gobuchul
    Free Member

Do you realise how many 20 somethings there are in Newcastle called Keegan?

It’s unisex as well.

Drac

Is it 9?

prawny

We’ve got a few locally.

A kid called Detom in my eldest’s class at school, and I saw a kid in the local paper called Kai Jai Kenny Roberts.

There’s more but I’ve drawn a blank at the moment, I’ll ask the wife when I get home. Kai Jai Kenny is my favourite though.

SaxonRider

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4okFm62gxk[/video]

Bunnyhop

Neighbour’s niece is called Isis.

My sister used to work in a bank, where someone plonked a small child on her till, name of Velvet.

whitestone
    Free Member

Thanks to my parents I’ve never felt particularly welcome in Wales.

I’ll see myself out.

Allan

Like 😆 In fact a double pun.

Cougar

My sister used to work in a bank, where someone plonked a small child on her till, name of Velvet.

Funny name for a till.

Bunnyhop

Was waiting for that one Cougar 😉

gonzy
    Free Member

Do you realise how many 20 somethings there are in Newcastle called Keegan?

And I’ll tell you, honestly, I will love it if you can tell us how many there are. Love it. 😉

gobuchul
    Free Member

And I’ll tell you, honestly, I will love it if you can tell us how many there are. Love it.

Love it! 😀

IdleJon

Neighbour’s niece is called Isis.

With the obvious nickname of ‘So called’?

bodgy
    Free Member

I know/have met chaps called Kestrel, Heron, Peregrine, Robin and Crow.

theotherjonv

Not daft names, but my youngest is called Elsa. Long before Frozen (well, five years) but now she’s pig sick of it because everyone does the ‘Let it go’ joke. She had it first, give it back Disney.

So how delighted were we, to find the latest release. Because my eldest has a Maori name that has descended through generations of my wife’s side of the family and their NZ heritage. Moana, also stolen.

And we look like the **** that have no more imagination than choosing Disney films.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

I have to mention again the little girl called Pebbles, and another girl called Princess, who had obviously got sick of it and wanted to be called by her middle name of Jacqueline. And on a slightly different note, you could almost guarantee that the boy called Dylan would be a right little darling (with apologies to those here with a nice Dylan!)

perchypanther
    Free Member

Not daft names, but my youngest is called Elsa. Long before Frozen (well, five years) but now she’s pig sick of it because everyone does the ‘Let it go’ joke. She had it first, give it back Disney.

So how delighted were we, to find the latest release. Because my eldest has a Maori name that has descended through generations of my wife’s side of the family and their NZ heritage. Moana, also stolen.

And we look like the **** that have no more imagination than choosing Disney films.

Your other children, Pinocchio and Dumbo must be glad that they escaped the family naming curse……

technicallyinept
    Free Member

Those children are going to get really fed with new teachers pronouncing their name wrong. My name is unusual and, despite being only 2 syllables and completely phonetic, I’ve had 40+ years of people pronouncing it wrong.

I’ve never met anyone with the same name, but I’ve recently discovered I share my name with a Jedi 🙂

perchypanther
    Free Member

Yoda?

wiggles
    Free Member

[*]You parents called you yoda?

Edit: damn it

perchypanther
    Free Member

Might be QuiGon?

funkmasterp

Those children are going to get really fed with new teachers pronouncing their name wrong.

I know that pain my friend. Every time somebody pronounces my name wrong I am force fed a sandwich.

Cougar

I’ve never met anyone with the same name, but I’ve recently discovered I share my name with a Jedi

You can’t tell us that and then not tell us what it is!

technicallyinept
    Free Member

You can’t tell us that and then not tell us what it is!

Of course I can 🙂 Internet anonymity and all that. The jedi is female (which is fortunate for me).

Cougar

That’s fine, Leia.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’ve never met anyone with the same name, but I’ve recently discovered I share my name with a Jedi

Yarael Poof?*

*an actual Jedi

funkmasterp

Obi Wanda Kenobi

bodgy
    Free Member

Ha! Me too! My name is ‘Mace’.

So; throughout my entire childhood and school years I put up with “Oi! Tesco / Spar / Safeways / Asda / [whatever]” and being a fat kid with glasses and an off-spectrum name . . . basically made me a legitimate target for years and years. I learnt the back streets and learnt that bikes were faster than running when it came to getting away from bullies. Sometimes. Unless they also had bikes.

As a grown up, my heart sank when ‘Star Wars: The Phantom Menace” came out, and all of a sudden my students (of woodwork, not Jedi skills) started coming out with “Ooooh . . . Mace Wandu”.

Meh.

slowoldman

Moon Unit and Dweezil Zappa

As Frank pointed out it’s their surname not their christian names which will cause them trouble.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Currently working in classes with Cruz and Juke! 17 years of supply teaching and I seen a lot. I rather liked the names of a set of Carribean kids I taught. Benjamin was fine, so was Noah, Zephaniah and Naphtali were less usual but perfectly in keeping with mums biblical beliefs. Kids were little gits which didn’t go down well with mum and the church.

nealglover
    Free Member

Depa ?

iancity1
    Free Member

Girl I work with recently had to interview a young 18 yr old girl. She comes to the interview with her 6 month old daughter, pleasantries are exchanged, asked the name of the little girl – “Femarley”, says the Mother…turns out she thought the hospital had named her daughter as there was a wristband on her at birth that said “Female”. So name given “Female”, pronounced “Femarley”.

bob_summers

bob_summers

reminds me of

DezB
    Free Member

my youngest is called Elsa.

Obviously to my (our) generation…

nickc

Not a kid’s name exactly. While working at a wine warehouse we had a delivery of boxes that had no names on them of wine or supplier, so I sent one of the warehouse men down to take a look and see if the boxes had anything written on them.

He called from the back door back with “Fragally” as a name of the wine. I asked him to spell it…F R A G I L E

allfankledup

Pal’s cousin named her child Vader. New one to me…

Sundayjumper

I told my wife about this thread. Her friend’s brother has just named his son Wolfe.

theotherjonv

my youngest is called Elsa.

Obviously to my (our) generation…

Sort of – we were obvs aware of that connotation (and actually it quite suits her, she’s no timid thing) but it was one of two names that we had in mind as we went up in the lift to the maternity suite (well, three actually as we didn’t know the sex at that point, but the male name became irrelevant)

And as the doors opened in the lift there was a cart of books from Friends of the RSCH and on top was that book. Different edition, quite battered, but clearly a sign.

We bought it and have it in the drawer for 18th / 21st / wedding day (not sure which)

DezB
    Free Member

My son got his name from spotting it on the cover of a book too. 🙂
    Most people think it’s in tribute to the bloke who wrote the book, but it wasn’t really. It just seemed like a good name: Unusual (we’ve heard of 3 other boys with the name), but not naff (in our opinion, of course!).
    I shall not be giving the name of my son on a thread entitled “stupid names..” though! 😆

GrahamS

My son got his name from spotting it on the cover of a book too.

“Dick Sean Harry”?

oomidamon

My parents Christian names both begin with D so they thought it would be a good idea to give my brother and I Ds, too. I managed to dodge a bullet – they wanted to call me Duane (!) but my older brother could only say ‘drain’, about the only thing I have ever had to thank him for.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 212 total)

The topic ‘Stupid names for kids’ is closed to new replies.